Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #7456
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 214
I just got a bilt explorer jacket. It seems pretty good but I haven't had it in water yet. But for pants I actually use snowboarding pants. They don't have knee pads or any thing but are very durable. What I really like about them is there is a clip that clips on your shoe strings with elastic band that stretches around the top of your shoe so they won't let cold air or water in. And they are very water proof. When it's cold I put pants on under them. as far as warmer weather they are comfortable up to about 70 degrees. For sleeping bag just remember down bags are lighter for the warmth but do not do good when they are wet so I would suggest otherwise. I Can't say much for gear as the coldest it gets here is about 30 in the winter but I ride year round and I stay warm with what I have. For shoes I use keen hiking boots. They are water proof but breath they use a simalar materal to gore tek. They have good grip keep my feet warm and dry and after 3 years of everyday use they are still holding up well with the exception of the tread is gone. I have never carried a rifle before but I carry a .45 1911 on my hip in an inside waist holster under my jacket. But we don't have to have a ccw here in az. To Carry my gear I strap a hiking backpack to my back seat. It has a waterproof rain fly that goes over it for added protection. Plus if I wanted I could park the bike throw the pack on and do some hiking and camp out. The down side is its big and crowds me while I ride.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:12 PM   #7457
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 214
I tried to post an avatar pic with my set up but with out a computer I don't know how to resize pictures.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #7458
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,067
Let's talk motorcycles here, not gun stuff. You know who you are.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #7459
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,527
I have had good luck with the Bilt products. You can even get some of the stuff from Amazon.com. They make an inexpensive waterproof boot that I like. Also, I lost my favorite pair of Bilt rain pants about a month ago. They aren't the cheapest ones, but are about $25 or so. These have a good sized velcro'd pocket on the front of the left leg. I think their stuff is a bargain.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #7460
Chadwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Let's talk motorcycles here, not gun stuff. You know who you are.
Roger that, though for my situation bear protection is required motorcycle equipment.

But, I believe I have found that my solution will be to mount it to my tank so no need to discuss it any further.

Thanks for getting us back on track, is there anything you might be able to help with? Seems like you might have some of the information I'm looking for. Packing list maybe for this kind of trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
I have had good luck with the Bilt products. You can even get some of the stuff from Amazon.com. They make an inexpensive waterproof boot that I like. Also, I lost my favorite pair of Bilt rain pants about a month ago. They aren't the cheapest ones, but are about $25 or so. These have a good sized velcro'd pocket on the front of the left leg. I think their stuff is a bargain.
Thanks, I had not heard of Bilt.
Chadwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #7461
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,809
[QUOTE

Thanks, I had not heard of Bilt.

[/QUOTE]

Bilt is the store brand for Cycle Gear, a national chain. I have one of their $100 dual sport helmets that I like for local dual sporting. I wouldn't want the visor on long high speed street rides, because it catches the wind. Their liner/underwear gear, called Freeze Out, is good quality & affordable, especially when on sale. I have the glove liners and booties, which are great for the feet. I think a lot of their outer wear has a life time warranty, but I have not bough any yet If they do actually have the life time warranty I will buy it next time, because my off-road gear has let me down lately (ripped crotch stitching & punctures)

I also got a couple of 12V sockets for my bikes & atvs, but have found that I don't really use them. You might though.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:50 AM   #7462
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
RE: Bilt

I also have the Bilt Explorer DS helmet. I disagree some about the visor being poor for higher speed riding. I have had several brands...the expensive Shoei and Arai DS helmets with the visor in place would catch the wind at 55 mph or above and just about jerk your head off...similar with the AFX-39. The bilt pulls way less than any DS helmet I've had...and costs peanuts on sale. I do run with the face shield...never goggles...that might make a difference...but I can't comment. It's a noisy hemet, but I use earplugs, so no worries. Since this thread pertains to MINIMALIST TOURING...gun questions, in my opinion, are "fair game"...no pun intended. I have the AR-7 that all packs into the stock and is quite light...do I assume it is "unwelcome" in Canada because the barrel is probably not 18"?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #7463
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,809
I was just comparing the visor resistance to a street helmet without one. I think the visor is removable for highway use, but I've never taken mine off, because it looks "cool".

I tend to ride a bit over the posted speed limits, so getting whipped around by the head get tiresome pretty quick. Most of my dual sport riding is on local back roads that are so twisty a good racer probably wouldn't average 55 mph, so the visor definitely doesn't bother me there.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #7464
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,614
I have some Cyclegear stuff,a jacket and pants,been wearing them regularly for 2 winters and I like the gear,it's been through some cold,wet,Nasty stuff no leaks and I think the 5 year warranty is good.
I still look at the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #7465
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadwell View Post
Thank you Paper!, That Aerostich Darien jacket looks just about perfect for my needs. Looks like I'd be best off with the DarienLite, as they say it's better for large temperature changes and better for cold weather because it will flex better (meaning I could use it on a snowmachine)

Too bad the damn gear is more than half the cost of my bike, looks worth it though.

Thank you SAPB, I was not aware of this thread. Very helpful!

Don't forget about Motoport gear , go and take a look.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #7466
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 192
I know these bikes probably wouldn't be anyone's first choice in loading up for a road trip, but I think they fit in this thread- we've discussed other small displacement machines here.

Has anyone else heard about AVA Velocity Works or Mutt Motorcycles before?

AVA makes the Swift 250:

http://http://avavelocityworks.com/

and Mutt Motorcycles makes "The Mutt" which is a 125cc dirt tracker/desert sled bike customized from the Herald Motorcycle Company's "Classic" (which I had also never heard of):

http://muttmotorcycles.com/

Hipster-y? Yeah. Small to no audience? Maybe, maybe not. But very interesting. I'm glad to see more choices in small bikes, esp desirable ones...
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:50 PM   #7467
USAIR
picking and riding

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
I know these bikes probably wouldn't be anyone's first choice in loading up for a road trip, but I think they fit in this thread- we've discussed other small displacement machines here.

Has anyone else heard about AVA Velocity Works or Mutt Motorcycles before?

AVA makes the Swift 250:

http://http://avavelocityworks.com/

and Mutt Motorcycles makes "The Mutt" which is a 125cc dirt tracker/desert sled bike customized from the Herald Motorcycle Company's "Classic" (which I had also never heard of):

http://muttmotorcycles.com/

Hipster-y? Yeah. Small to no audience? Maybe, maybe not. But very interesting. I'm glad to see more choices in small bikes, esp desirable ones...

Nice bike and photo

Fred
Wallpaper for Montana GPSr
Beware of the Wallnut
USAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #7468
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,067
That's cool as hell.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #7469
Chadwell
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Since this thread pertains to MINIMALIST TOURING...gun questions, in my opinion, are "fair game"...no pun intended. I have the AR-7 that all packs into the stock and is quite light...do I assume it is "unwelcome" in Canada because the barrel is probably not 18"?
Honestly, In this case I'm not sure. Canada's laws as they pertain to Rim-Fire rifles are more vague. I KNOW that in a Center-Fire rifle the barrel has to be 18 inches or longer, mag capacity has to be 5 or less, and the overall length has to be more than 26 inches

The overall length when the gun is stowed is 16.5 inches, but since it cannot be fired that way, the overall length is the gun put together (35ish inches)

From what I have read, it seems like rimfires with 16.5 inch barrels or more and higher capacity magazines are OK. and the AR7 is ok. BUT, this is not legal advice so check before you go!
Old 03-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #7470
Chadwell
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I have some Cyclegear stuff,a jacket and pants,been wearing them regularly for 2 winters and I like the gear,it's been through some cold,wet,Nasty stuff no leaks and I think the 5 year warranty is good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Don't forget about Motoport gear , go and take a look.
Thanks for all of the help yall!