Old 02-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #2431
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
Damn Noodle, your XC has colon cancer!
For once, I'm a loss for words

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 PM   #2432
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
For once, I'm a loss for words

Over-the-Counter colon cancer prevention medication - Washn800

Side effects include:

loss of time
Wet shoes
Higher water bills
Intense neighbor glares
Significant other neglect
Offspring neglect & or forced child labor

Dubl-A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #2433
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Well, the first part about the geometry changing is accurate and is something most people don't take into consideration when using lowering links. Riders installing these should check sag after installation to determine if a preload adjustment or another spring is needed.

The last bit is mistaken in this case, as the OP indicated this link was designed to increase travel. It isn't a lowering link, as is most commonly installed.
Facts: Link length will determine rear ride height and amount of total wheel travel. Using a shorter link will raise rear ride height, but also reduce total travel. Conversely, using a longer link with lower ride height, but also increase total travel (the travel increase comes in the compression side of things, so the wheel will come closer to the rear fender). The amount of travel gained or lost depends on the geometry of the rear suspension design and linkage ratio. On my V-Strom 650, a 1" raising link resulted in a 12% loss of travel. Expect a similar result for the Tiger.

Besides changing the ride height and travel, the link length also changes the influence of the spring rate. A shorter link will effectively make the suspension perform "stiffer"- i.e., a given weight/force will cause the rear suspension to compress less, compared to the stock link. The opposite is true for a longer link. However, this influence is rather subtle when we are talking about 500lb bikes, and not enough to consider a change in spring rate (unless of course, the bike was under/over sprung already).
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:58 AM   #2434
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Facts: Link length will determine rear ride height and amount of total wheel travel. Using a shorter link will raise rear ride height, but also reduce total travel. Conversely, using a longer link with lower ride height, but also increase total travel (the travel increase comes in the compression side of things, so the wheel will come closer to the rear fender). The amount of travel gained or lost depends on the geometry of the rear suspension design and linkage ratio. On my V-Strom 650, a 1" raising link resulted in a 12% loss of travel. Expect a similar result for the Tiger.

Besides changing the ride height and travel, the link length also changes the influence of the spring rate. A shorter link will effectively make the suspension perform "stiffer"- i.e., a given weight/force will cause the rear suspension to compress less, compared to the stock link. The opposite is true for a longer link. However, this influence is rather subtle when we are talking about 500lb bikes, and not enough to consider a change in spring rate (unless of course, the bike was under/over sprung already).
Good info. Thanks.

I guess it would have been more accurate to say the OP installed it for additional ride height then.

Additional height with less travel doesn't sound so appealing to me.

I achieved additional "static" height and more "usable" travel by changing springs to get the correct sag for my weight. I've no need for more height overall, or additional travel, though I'll probably spring for the Seat Concepts "high" kit eventually to relieve the bend in the knees a little.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #2435
daytripper1970_au
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
It's saved the lever a few times already.
Three things:
1. I'm here to learn so no flaming
2. I know this thread is quite old
3. What the hell is this (I take it it saves the levers from being ripped off, similar to F1 wheel tethers) and where can I get the cables?

Thanks for your patience

DT
daytripper1970_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #2436
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper1970_au View Post
Three things:
3. What the hell is this (I take it it saves the levers from being ripped off, similar to F1 wheel tethers) and where can I get the cables?

Thanks for your patience

DT
Called a lever snake - I think. As you surmised it prevents (hopefully) the lever getting too out of shape.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 AM   #2437
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Three things:

Thanks for your patience

DT
It's an old dirtbike trick.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...er-Lever-Saver
Old 03-25-2014, 03:40 AM   #2438
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Brake snake.

You can make them really cheap using a cycle brake cable inner and an electrical screw connector.

On the gear side, as well as preventing the lever folding in half, I'm hoping it'll also stop the lever going too high and breaking the gearbox internals.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:42 AM   #2439
daytripper1970_au
Adventurer

RobDirt, blacktiger and Kildareman (my parents are from Cork), you guys are legends.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers

DT
Old 03-25-2014, 04:40 AM   #2440
daytripper1970_au
Adventurer

Hi all,

I searched this forum to no avail:

Going on a 7 day ride in Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land), Australia soon. My trip will be 50/50 road / gravel slash Tassie Trails. I'm considering at this stage using two side panniers with a dry bag on top to keep the weight and center of gravity down; however, part of me thinks "Chuck the top box on as well."

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

DT
Old 03-25-2014, 05:59 AM   #2441
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Hi all,

Going on a 7 day ride in Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land), Australia soon. My trip will be 50/50 road / gravel slash Tassie Trails. I'm considering at this stage using two side panniers with a dry bag on top to keep the weight and center of gravity down; however, part of me thinks "Chuck the top box on as well."

Cheers

DT
If it were me I'd chuck the panniers as well. When doing much off road riding, I prefer a couple of good dry bags. Less is more. I went on a 10 day ride awhile back and managed to get everything I needed in a 60 liter and a 25 litre duffle plus my tent. Just my .02 More than likely you'll get a few different opinions on here. Which is what makes this site great.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #2442
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Hi all,

Cheers

DT
I'd say it depends on the condition of the trails. If good, then go with the full pannier set-up. If you think you're definitely going to throw the bike at the scenery then maybe soft on the sides.
The top box gives some security and is unlikely to hit the ground and is/should be water proof for any electrical stuff like a laptop. Also quick and easy to pop off to help lift up the bike.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:25 AM   #2443
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Three things:

Thanks for your patience

DT
I've had it snap branches that otherwise would have trashed the lever.
I used 1/16" steal cable and swedges from Home Deopt. I bought the swedging tool for $9

IMHO it's stronger than the electrical connection, but for me it boiled down to being pretty damn cheap and easy to get the tool and materials.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:38 AM   #2444
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
RobDirt, blacktiger and Kildareman (my parents are from Cork), you guys are legends.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cheers

DT
You're welcome. My parents are from London & Santiago (Chile)
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:05 AM   #2445
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,099
I am also cheap and saftey wire my levers to the skid plat.

On carrying a load, I learned last year on a Girlie on 4" of fresh pea gravel, down low is good. I wished my tent would fit in the pannier at the bottom. I also in haste put the tent on top of my sleeping bag and mat in a 90 liter dry bag on the back seat. Quite the entertaining ride for 50 miles.