Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #2446
daytripper1970_au
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
My parents are from London & Santiago (Chile)
Hahaha.... fair play. I just have an affiliation to anything Irish
daytripper1970_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #2447
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Care to share some of your good weather with us then?

KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:07 AM   #2448
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by boinoodle View Post
I've had it snap branches that otherwise would have trashed the lever.
I used 1/16" steal cable and swedges from Home Deopt. I bought the swedging tool for $9

IMHO it's stronger than the electrical connection, but for me it boiled down to being pretty damn cheap and easy to get the tool and materials.
Those two screws put some serious pressure on the cables. Certainly worked to save the gear lever on my Scram.
AND, of course, it's easy to remove when you need to take off the lever.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 AM   #2449
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Those two screws put some serious pressure on the cables. Certainly worked to save the gear lever on my Scram.
AND, of course, it's easy to remove when you need to take off the lever.
Geeze, and I always thought the screws were looser on the other side of the pond

Good to know it's been field tested
I used it as an excuse to buy the swedging tool, always wanted one. I've used it twice so far for other non bike uses

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:14 PM   #2450
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,117
Thought i'd check here first before going to the flea market.

I ordered some Uni Prefilters a while back and have on unclaimed one. Anyone interested? $38 shipped CONUS.

i'll put it on the flea market tomorrow if no responses.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #2451
TufelHunden
Recovering A-hole

Oddometer: 166
I bet you Baja Dad will want it. Shoot him a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TufelHunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:05 PM   #2452
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Thought i'd check here first before going to the flea market.

I ordered some Uni Prefilters a while back and have on unclaimed one. Anyone interested? $38 shipped CONUS.

i'll put it on the flea market tomorrow if no responses.
I'll take it
Crab bait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:01 PM   #2453
ducatirdr
Re-entry Noob

Oddometer: 121
Clutch Failure at 4900 miles

I guess I should have put a 15T counter shaft sprocket on the front sooner. A recent ADV ride I was on went sour in a hero section after a slow climb up a wet rocky waterfall like trail. I thought my rear tire was slipping on the wet rocks as I was giving it gas and heard the engine rise with more throttle but no forward OOMF. Thinking it was loose rocks and slipping tire I continued for way too long up that hill before slowing and then noticing I had no clutch.

There I was in the middle of the woods and a HUMVEE comes down the trail. It was the town cops out checking on the citizens to see if they were having fun. I asked if they had a flatbed version and sure enough they did. A call back to the station and then the fire crew came out with the pickup Hummer. Good ol government surplus came in handy that day. I heard I was one of many that needed rescuing.

Anyway back to the clutch failure. I am curious to those that ride their Tiger XC's in the dirt how long they are getting out of their clutches? I realize that I probably should have noticed I was slipping and stopped abusing the thing and adjust free play. The 4900 miles on a clutch seems really quick. The quote from the shop is close to $800 for the replacement.

This common on all big bikes in the woods? Or is it just the abuse that caught up to me.
2000 Ducati 996S - No reason
ducatirdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #2454
Dubl-A
DS Junkie

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
I guess I should have put a 15T counter shaft sprocket on the front sooner. A recent ADV ride I was on went sour in a hero section after a slow climb up a wet rocky waterfall like trail. I thought my rear tire was slipping on the wet rocks as I was giving it gas and heard the engine rise with more throttle but no forward OOMF. Thinking it was loose rocks and slipping tire I continued for way too long up that hill before slowing and then noticing I had no clutch.

There I was in the middle of the woods and a HUMVEE comes down the trail. It was the town cops out checking on the citizens to see if they were having fun. I asked if they had a flatbed version and sure enough they did. A call back to the station and then the fire crew came out with the pickup Hummer. Good ol government surplus came in handy that day. I heard I was one of many that needed rescuing.

Anyway back to the clutch failure. I am curious to those that ride their Tiger XC's in the dirt how long they are getting out of their clutches? I realize that I probably should have noticed I was slipping and stopped abusing the thing and adjust free play. The 4900 miles on a clutch seems really quick. The quote from the shop is close to $800 for the replacement.

This common on all big bikes in the woods? Or is it just the abuse that caught up to me.

No bueno. I offroad quite a bit and the clutch feels brand new still at 5k.
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:11 PM   #2455
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:

Mine is still good at 27000 miles but I don't do those sort of sections.
This...

is as bad as it gets for me but I find the Tiger will chug up these with clutch fully home and minimal revs, using the torque.

Remember, it weighs in at 215Kgs+you+gear. So that clutch is going through hell if you're having to slip it much.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #2456
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,554
Even with a 15th CS, you need to ride the T8 without using the clutch to adjust speed &/or spin. If I start to spin, then I duck walk through the problem. Steep downhills can be quick in first with the 16th CS, but I have not had a problem yet. I feel like it's better to tap the brakes & leave the clutch alone unless it kills the motor. You'd be shocked at how many times I've chugged thru deep sand in 1st gear without using the clutch or killing the motor. It just chugs along at tick over.

I'm at 18,000 miles with the original clutch.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #2457
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
The quote from the shop is close to $800 for the replacement.
You don't need to pay anything like that. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-80...3D130766057738
Old 05-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #2458
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

10k miles some off-road with no slipping at all. I've had to adjust a bit nothing other than that. I too just let the clutch of even with off road and just fun the right gear to stay in. But I don't do anything crazy in the dirt. Rocks and loose dirt is about it. Some hill climbs but again, nothing crazy.

Old 05-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #2459
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Blacktiger, have you done the clutch with that kit? How was the job??

Old 05-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #2460
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,588
Clutches on most bikes are pretty easy jobs. Parts can be pricey.

There can be some gotchas. On the KTM you have to line all the metal plates up with the sharp, stamped edge oriented the same way in the stack. Didn't matter whether up or down, just the same way or engagement would get wonky.

Just notice how it unstacks, every detail. Then put the new stuff in the same way. Easy peasy. Photos and text in the factory assembly manual can be a big help, but isn't a must-have if you take your time and look for details as you remove things.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote