User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
willcasp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Where is Garmin stashing map files on the Mac?

I get the automatic updates from Garmin. Due to limited space on my boot drive (SSD), I want to clean the old maps off that I no longer use, and recover that space.

I have the base maps in \Library\Application Support\Garmin\Maps

However, I can't find City Navigator North America NT 2011.2 anywhere. Spotlight or command line locate won't turn it up! Now that I have 2011.3, I would like to recover that GB of space... The app is Roadtrip, if that matters.

Where is Garmin stashing this stuff now?
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
2006 BMW 1200GS Adventure
willcasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,183
Any chance the update would have overwritten the old version of NT?
250senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Steve W
Old Grouch

Oddometer: 634
There are two \Library\Application Support\Garmin\Maps on my system. One in my home directory and one in the root directory. The maps installed by auto update are in the home directory. HTH
Old 01-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
willcasp OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Steve,

missed that somehow. found the gmap in the user Library. Problem solved!
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
2006 BMW 1200GS Adventure
willcasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
There are two \Library\Application Support\Garmin\Maps on my system. One in my home directory and one in the root directory. The maps installed by auto update are in the home directory. HTH
So I'm coming from a PC and am new to the Mac so thought I'd add more details of what I learned lately to this thread. Who knows maybe someday I'll be reading this myself when I forget this crap in a few months!

In BaseCamp you can see exactly WHAT maps are installed, WHERE the actual installed file is, and their locked/unlocked status, by picking the menu item:

Maps -> Installed Maps Info…

The rest is a detailed explanation as I know it:

Using Finder on the Mac:
Let's say your user login is "matt". Your home directory is /users/matt, or in UNIX shorthand (OSX on the Mac) it is also called simply ~
This is not mandatory to know but can simplify some typing for you.

The problem is that the "Library" directory for each user ( ~/Library or /users/matt/Library) is normally hidden in Finder (this is to protect your computer from evil users shooting their foot off).
But you can see your user level Library 2 ways via the Go item on the Menu bar:

1. Go. Then hold down the Alt/Option key and you will see "Library" appear on the drop menu, so click it.
OR
2. Go -> Go to folder... then type in "~/Library"

Garmin Map Install Locations:
There seem to be 2 places where maps get installed on a Mac, located beneath 1 of 2 "Library" directories, either the top level (for all users) or user level (apparently accessible only for that user):

1. The top (root) level Library directory at /Library (which is visible in Finder). Apparently maps that get installed here are useable by all user logins. My CityNav install from DVD (before updating it) was placed here and so was my Topo24k from DVD:

/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/
e.g.:
/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/TOPO U.S. 24K Southwest v2.gmap

2. The user level Library directory (under /users/ or simply ~) which is NOT visible in Finder by default (see above). This is where Garmin MapManager put my updated CityNav when it downloaded my free update (I verified at mygarmin.com that it showed I own "nuMaps Lifetime North America" and MapManager worked great - did NOT use Express):

~/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/

e.g. for user matt:
/Users/matt/Library/Application Support/Garmin/Maps/City Navigator North America NT 2014.40.gmap

I also installed a lot of free maps from GPSFileDepot.com and after you unzip it and run the install, the actual *.gmap file also gets placed in the user Library path above.

Finally, as I mentioned at the beginning check your actual map location in BaseCamp.

If you would like to receive these tips and more in printed form I'd be glad to help. Just send me an 11x14 manila Self Addressed Stamped Envelope attached to the bottom of a crated KTM Super Enduro 690, and PM me for the address to ship it to. just joking, hope it helped!

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:15 PM   #6
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,795
Why not just run Garmin Map Manager? It'll tell you where the maps are and let you delete them.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote