ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 PM   #16
Mendo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Jason on Big Island has a great variety of dual sport bikes for rent!
www.hiadv.com

On Maui I own Maui Moto Adventures and we also do Dual Sport rentals
www.mauidualsport.com

Maui Dual Sport Rentals and Tours
www.mauidualsport.com
Mendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #17
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,571
Been to Maui once (Pre motorcycle nut), and wouldn't have guessed there was dirt bike riding there. But after seeing "Accidental Broadcast's" you-tube video's, some of which feature Mendo, I'm surprised at how much good riding there is.

If I go back, I'll definately be checking into that!

None of which has anything to do with the OP, but...just saying...good stuff!

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #18
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W View Post
Yeah a bike would be fun. I spent a week there last Nov. Small car / jeep rentals at the airport is it as far as I know. Very few people visit in comparison so not much call for it. There's only roughly 7500 people on the entire island. And very little in the way of dual sport tiding. The entire west end of the island is basically off limits except for the main highway. All private ranch land and closed up tight. The east end is for hiking. Only one road. No dirt to speak of. I don't think there was even a moped rental to be found. I didn't see any bikes that I can remember.
The west end of the north coast has some dirty stuff we explored with a jeep, but bikes would have been better.

I saw a couple of CRF and XR's using the road on the east end.

Since Molokai Ranch got told F-U by the locals concerning tourism expansion, I've heard that they've pulled out most of their business and the Nature Conservancy is now the biggest threat to access.

Could be wrong, but I am heading back end of next month to check it out.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Robert_W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tod701 View Post
The west end of the north coast has some dirty stuff we explored with a jeep, but bikes would have been better.

I saw a couple of CRF and XR's using the road on the east end.

Since Molokai Ranch got told F-U by the locals concerning tourism expansion, I've heard that they've pulled out most of their business and the Nature Conservancy is now the biggest threat to access.

Could be wrong, but I am heading back end of next month to check it out.
The locals story to me was not that they said no to tourist expansion...but that the developers of the ranch did a 180 on what they promised. Instead of keeping that end of the island as basically one big piece they decided that they wanted to break it up into McMansion properties. That is what they (locals) balked at. One of their biggest and most valid concerns is that there's very little water available on that end. Dunno. Just the stories we heard. We'll be heading back this year too.

BTW...the ranch didn't pull out "most" of their business. They closed up shop completely as far as I could tell. There's nada left except for a skeleton crew to manage the basics.
www.kroutfitters.com
Robert_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:38 AM   #20
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,520
The Nature Conservancy can suck it. Property they buy is generally off-limits. They have bought a lot of area around here, and it's all off-limits. Some of it is posted "Hunting by Written Permission Only" but they refuse it. Every time.
They bought up a bunch of Pygmy Rabbit habitat. The bunnies are endangered, but they coyotes ate a bunch, and I offered to go shoot some coyotes. They said no, their policy was that they did not allow hunting on their properties except non-native species. I said sure, so can I hunt pheasant and huns, since both were introduced? Again, no. I was told i could write a letter to their national headquarters, but permission would be denied.
Same thing with the ranch they bought outside Enterprise. Excellent elk hunting, which the former owners allowed on a limited basis. The Conservancy now sells hunts for thousands of dollars- seems to me they bought the ranch to make money, not their stated mission of habitat protection.
Fuck em.

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:00 AM   #21
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
The Nature Conservancy can suck it. Property they buy is generally off-limits. They have bought a lot of area around here, and it's all off-limits. Some of it is posted "Hunting by Written Permission Only" but they refuse it. Every time.
They bought up a bunch of Pygmy Rabbit habitat. The bunnies are endangered, but they coyotes ate a bunch, and I offered to go shoot some coyotes. They said no, their policy was that they did not allow hunting on their properties except non-native species. I said sure, so can I hunt pheasant and huns, since both were introduced? Again, no. I was told i could write a letter to their national headquarters, but permission would be denied.
Same thing with the ranch they bought outside Enterprise. Excellent elk hunting, which the former owners allowed on a limited basis. The Conservancy now sells hunts for thousands of dollars- seems to me they bought the ranch to make money, not their stated mission of habitat protection.
Fuck em.
So you're against private property rights and capitalism? Or is it just because you don't agree with the leanings of this particular property owner?

(Apologies to the OP for also crapping in this thread. I like Maui. )
Old 03-27-2014, 12:35 PM   #22
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
So you're against private property rights and capitalism? Or is it just because you don't agree with the leanings of this particular property owner?

NO, it's the Government that takes our land away. Private owners can post it no problemo. Except for the pinko commie nature nutz!
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:38 PM   #23
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,520
Not so much against property rights, just that they seem to buy up land, say they will allow access, and then don't. Their stated policy on hunting non-native species doesn't match with their actual practice. As I said above, there are many signs here in Washington on NC properties saying "Hunting by Written Permission Only" which is a joint venture with WDFW, access for increased enforcement. They get the increased patrols, but don't allow access. So what's pissing me off is the variance between their alleged access programs and their denial of access- after they have purchased the property.
I've heard they are also dicks about trespassers, but haven't experienced it. Hard to disagree with that, though.

Also, as I said above, "seems to me they bought the ranch to make money, not their stated mission of habitat protection." I'm not against capitalism, either.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #24
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post

Not that simple.

Unlike most other private businesses TNC operates as a tax exempt entity,
while at the same time they are one of the world's biggest real estate business.

One of their preferred modus operandi is to use tax exempt revenue to buy huge chunks of land at fire sale prices that their lobbying for land use restrictions facilitates. Sell part of the land to the government for as much as they paid for the whole thing. Pocketing the rest of the land for almost no cost to them thanks to our tax dollars.

TNC is also into logging and mining business while at the same time scamming up tax deductible donations from fools that believe that they are all about saving the last great places on the planet.

If my money was not involved with their efforts to lock me out of as much land as possible I might hate them less.