ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #1
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow
 
Astolfo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: The Mental Asylum
Oddometer: 793
Nav V, iPhone, Itunes in GSA questions

I know about the other thread but it is huge and pretty difficult to follow.
so I want to keep specific.
  • how do you export music from iTunes/iPhone to the NAV v
  • How do I export my playlists, does the Nav V keep things organized and how do you syc things up.
  • does the Nav display any music information?
TIA
__________________
1995 R1000 GS 1998 R850 GS 1999 R1000Gs 2007 KTM ADV 990 2009 R1200GS
2012 F800GS White & Blue Trophy
2014 GSA
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow
 
Astolfo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: The Mental Asylum
Oddometer: 793
anyone please!
__________________
1995 R1000 GS 1998 R850 GS 1999 R1000Gs 2007 KTM ADV 990 2009 R1200GS
2012 F800GS White & Blue Trophy
2014 GSA
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #3
modestmuscle
Gnarly Adventurer
 
modestmuscle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Whitmore CA USA
Oddometer: 112
Not sure if it's the same, but with my Android device all I did was link via bluetooth and the NavV has a new screen to get into all of your music.

So link device to NavV, link NavV to headset, enjoy music and use phone for calls.
__________________
_____________________________

A good reminder to validate your assumption. Just because what you are seeing fits with your theory doesn’t mean you’re right. It’s always worth taking a step back to assess the situation a bit more even if you think you know what the problem is.


Baby steps are easy for everyone but the baby.


_____________________________
modestmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
GrumpyOne
Gnarly Adventurer
 
GrumpyOne's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: SE MI
Oddometer: 135
There are several apps that will allow you to transfer iTunes to your Nav V.

Here's one: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1261

Note that there is nothing special about the Nav V in this regard. If you search for Zumo threads there's plenty of discussions on how to do it.

-jw
__________________
Calm Down.
2011 BMW R1200GS
IBA #59099
GrumpyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Zuppy51
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area - East Bay
Oddometer: 32
There is absolutely no reason why the manufacturer did not create a usable manual for this product. Its remarkable.
Rant aside.
A couple of different ways: Using the spare space on the unit it self. Or adding a MicroSD.

I created a .mp3 copy of the songs, then sorted them into a playlist.
Once the NAV V is plugged in via USB, you can view the filesystem.
Create a MP3 folder, then just drag and drop from itunes into the folder.
Really simple.
From there, you need to create playlists and sorting with the NAV V. Not that intuitive.
Anyway, I've created a SD Card folder as well.
Just drag and drop onto the card.

This is the best write up so far:


http://globeriders.com/article_pages...e07_nav5.shtml
Zuppy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Raaze14
Studly(?) Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2014
Oddometer: 108
I'm curious as to why people are using an SD card to add music to the Nav V instead of just using their smart phone to play the music. I'm planning on using my iPhone to play my music to my Sena, bypassing the Nav V completely. That should work, no?
Raaze14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
Zuppy51
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area - East Bay
Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raaze14 View Post
I'm curious as to why people are using an SD card to add music to the Nav V instead of just using their smart phone to play the music. I'm planning on using my iPhone to play my music to my Sena, bypassing the Nav V completely. That should work, no?

I do for multiple reasons. No need to charge the battery on my iPhone. It's easier to accept calls and visually see who's calling you. Also easier for skipping tracks, pausing, muting, etc.


For BT Headset I use a cardo scala g4. It's integrated into the Nav Vunit for the phone.
For Tele- I use a iPhone.

In order to take calls, use the smart link from the garmin app, and have turn by turn directions from the Nav V, you need to link to the Nav V.

Otherwise, no issue, just connect to your iphone from your BT Headset, and play music accept calls.

Nothing will be routed through the Nav V.
Zuppy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow
 
Astolfo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: The Mental Asylum
Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuppy51 View Post
I do for multiple reasons. No need to charge the battery on my iPhone. It's easier to accept calls and visually see who's calling you. Also easier for skipping tracks, pausing, muting, etc.


For BT Headset I use a cardo scala g4. It's integrated into the Nav Vunit for the phone.
For Tele- I use a iPhone.

In order to take calls, use the smart link from the garmin app, and have turn by turn directions from the Nav V, you need to link to the Nav V.

Otherwise, no issue, just connect to your iphone from your BT Headset, and play music accept calls.

Nothing will be routed through the Nav V.
let me see if I understand correctly :) I use the Shuberth SRC which is (I believe a Scala g4)

I link my iPhone to the Nav V, then the Nav V to my SRC/G4 this way I can:
  • Answer calls
  • Make calls using Siri
  • Stream Music
  • get turn by turn directions
  • use the GSA wheel to control the volume and music.
Ideally I would move the music to my Nav V so I do not waste my iphone's battery.

am I correct?

thanks, I am sorry but a little slow when it comes to this stuff....

Am I right?
__________________
1995 R1000 GS 1998 R850 GS 1999 R1000Gs 2007 KTM ADV 990 2009 R1200GS
2012 F800GS White & Blue Trophy
2014 GSA
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
let me see if I understand correctly :) I use the Shuberth SRC which is (I believe a Scala g4)

I link my iPhone to the Nav V, then the Nav V to my SRC/G4 this way I can:
  • Answer calls
  • Make calls using Siri
  • Stream Music
  • get turn by turn directions
  • use the GSA wheel to control the volume and music.
Ideally I would move the music to my Nav V so I do not waste my iphone's battery.

am I correct?

thanks, I am sorry but a little slow when it comes to this stuff....

Am I right?
Partly correct.

When you pair your iPhone to the NAV5 and then the NAV5 with the SRC-S in the manner outlined you can only stream music from the NAV5. As for activating Siri, you can by pressing the Phone App button and then pressing the Voice Dial button, BUT, you only have ~30sec to talk and hear the response before the NAV5 drops the Voice Dial connection (it's expecting a call connection).

The SRC-S doesn't have the flexibility of the Sena SMH10 units when it comes to connecting to multiple devices. Once my SRC-S failed (internal wire connection broke) I replaced it with a Sena SMH10R.

This is my current configuration:
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow
 
Astolfo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: The Mental Asylum
Oddometer: 793
thanks! So how would you recommend I pair the phone and nav V to the SRC to gain the most flexibility for a gadget impaired rider?
TIA
Astolfo
BTW I appreciate your information and help without being a smart ass
Cheers
__________________
1995 R1000 GS 1998 R850 GS 1999 R1000Gs 2007 KTM ADV 990 2009 R1200GS
2012 F800GS White & Blue Trophy
2014 GSA
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astolfo View Post
thanks! So how would you recommend I pair the phone and nav V to the SRC to gain the most flexibility for a gadget impaired rider?
TIA
Astolfo
BTW I appreciate your information and help without being a smart ass
Cheers
If you want the most from your iPhone (Music, Phone, Siri) you should pair the iPhone first with the SRC as a Mobile Phone. Then pair the NAV5 as a GPS device. See how that works out for you.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
Astolfo OP
Wicked Slow
 
Astolfo's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: The Mental Asylum
Oddometer: 793
thanks again, I will get the Nav V next week and try it.
as is I am having issues (my own stupidity probably) getting the src to do what I want, like get Siri on and making a call!
__________________
1995 R1000 GS 1998 R850 GS 1999 R1000Gs 2007 KTM ADV 990 2009 R1200GS
2012 F800GS White & Blue Trophy
2014 GSA
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014