ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
dstock OP
Adventurer n00b

Oddometer: 264
inReach SE Powered Ram Mount

It appears inReach now offers a powered Ram mount cradle for the inReach SE! Glad I didn't buy the un-powered first round. Can't see much detail in how it works on the website but at least it exists.

http://inreachdelorme.com/product-in...romotion=10028

"When in doubt, gas it!"

2002 R1150GSA "Fat Bastard"
dstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,559
Rear view of inReach SE:
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
dstock OP
Adventurer n00b

Yes, I've seen the pins, was just curious about the cord and how it plugs into the cradle. I prefer to hardwire things so looking at it with that in mind.

"When in doubt, gas it!"

Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
willcasp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I just ordered one. Will report back if nobody beats me to it. This has been my biggest gripe about the inreach!
IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
2006 BMW 1200GS Adventure
willcasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
dstock OP
Adventurer n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by willcasp View Post
I just ordered one. Will report back if nobody beats me to it. This has been my biggest gripe about the inreach!
Checking to see if you received your mount yet?

"When in doubt, gas it!"

Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #6
willcasp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I did get the mount. It is the same RAM mount that was originally released.
If you take a look at it, you will notice that there is a recessed valley that runs down the middle of the adapter
The "new" power adapter has an end that mates to the back of the InReach mounted in this valley. There is a screw through the back of the mount that holds this in place. The other end has a standard cigarette lighter based power adapter.

I have not had a chance to road test the adapter. Looks solid enough.

IBA #47287
AMA Lifer, BRC, NMA
2008 KTM 530 EXC-R
2008 KTM 200 XC-W
2006 BMW 1200GS Adventure

willcasp screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 08:41 PM
willcasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
OK. But, four pins for a two-wire connection. Can you measure with a Volt-Ohm Meter the levels on the pins? Wondering if there is Vdc redundancy or multiple voltages being provided by the transformer.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
dstock OP
Adventurer n00b

Thanks for the update!

"When in doubt, gas it!"

Old 12-19-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
The latest software version 2.40 now has some really nice added features.
  • New location page - Your GPS coordinates are now visible on-screen, making location sharing and reference to paper maps easier. Page also includes updated speed, course, elevation, and GPS accuracy details.
  • Updated preset messages page - You can now view details for each preset message to ensure that you're sending the correct information. You can also see the full recipient list and complete message by selecting the field and viewing details.
  • Sound update - We improved the notification tone and repeat options for alerts making it easier for you to hear notifications.
  • View inReach Address - You can now view the owner contact info and more easily share your address with other inReach users for device-to-device messaging.
  • BoatU.S. page - BoatU.S. members now have their very own mini-app to send messages to 24-hour towing dispatch. To access these new features, simply connect your inReach and sync using the Explore portal.

One of which (not listed above) is in support of the external powered mount. You can set the unit to power on when placed in the mount and/or power off when removed -- or not.

I've also noticed a real improvement in the GPS acquisition time.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Teardown

Ran the powered mount for a couple of rides, plugging into the 12V Cig outlet on my Super Tenere. It works, but I'm not a fan of Cig outlets, and I'm especially not a fan of coiled cords dangling around in the handlebar area. The plan is to hardwire it, and route the cable along with the rest of the stuff that runs up to the bar. First Step, the teardown.

Starting with the mount as it comes from Delorme.

I couldn't find any way in to the 12 volt plug, so after a bit of careful poking around trying to find a clean way in, I just separated it, starting at the tip, with a bit of enthusiasm behind a flat blade screwdriver.

Inside you'll find a small dc to dc converter, with 12V in and 5V out. There's two wires headed into the coiled cable that carry the 5v.

Here's the detail from the label on the outside of the plug.

I won't be using the coiled cord, so I cut it off on the mount end, and stripped back the insulation to reveal the canonical red/black wires.

Here's a picture of the power connector inside the mount that presses up against the back of the InReach.

For reference I'll number them from left the right as your facing the mount as shown in the picture.

Pin 1 - 5V
Pin 2 -|
Pin 3 -|
Pin 4 - Ground

It may not be apparent above, but pins 2 and 3 are connected, showing zero ohms on my DVM.

Off to think for a while about options from here. I may just use the supply removed from the plug, or I may integrate it with another supply I planned to use with some other 5V devices. That supply is an Opus DCL11, good for 3A @ 5V. The InReach is plug is rated for 2A @ 5V. My DVM is only good for 200ma so I can't measure the actual load.

The Opus looks like this, I just was going to plasti-dip it or put it in a section of old tube and protect it that way.

Details are at http://www.opussolutions.com/product...L11__15W_.html
Old 01-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #11
dstock OP
Adventurer n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
Ran the powered mount for a couple of rides, plugging into the 12V Cig outlet on my Super Tenere. It works, but I'm not a fan of Cig outlets, and I'm especially not a fan of coiled cords dangling around in the handlebar area. The plan is to hardwire it, and route the cable along with the rest of the stuff that runs up to the bar. First Step, the teardown.
Very interested to see where you go from here. In a perfect world I would like a USB plug on the other end. Since the USB outlets are 5v already, it seems it would be simple enough to rig up USB plug to the existing cord as you wouldn't need the dc-dc converter. Am I correct in thinking this?

"When in doubt, gas it!"

Old 02-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #12
Mastery
Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer: 1,096
You ever finish this project?

Free Cash Back for Online Purchases.....One More CashBack Site
Mastery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastery View Post
You ever finish this project?
No, but I'm closer. I ordered a 3CS harness from Eastern Beaver and that took a while, and then I found all sorts of 12v -> 5v potted power supplies on Amazon and got one of those. Then work got in the way, and then I got a headlight harness recall notice for the S10. So, now the plan is to get the headlamp harness done first, and then get back to powering the Delorme. I'm hoping the headlamp think is a week or two tops.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Ok, a really wet ugly Saturday kept the Tenere in the garage today, so I did some wiring. Added another powerelet, installed an Eastern Beaver 3CS, and finished the InReach bike power setup. I emailed Opus and asked them about potting the power supply I was thinking about but never heard back. Then stumbled on some really inexpensive potted supplies on Amazon so I picked one up. I use one of the 3CS outputs to power the 12v -> 5v supply, and then run that up to Delorme powered mount. Works great. The Delorme allows you to configure power on / power off behavior. I have it set to come on with key on, go off with key off. It gives you 15 seconds at power off to tell it to stay on and run on the internal battery.

Here are few pics. The little white box labeled SMAKN is the 12v -> 5v supply. I used dual lock to mount it in an open space.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
ztrab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Hard wiring

Just getting around to hard wiring my cradle and I was looking for info on the cord when I saw this post - awesome, thanks for the great info. I'll have to take some pictures and and my mods.
05 ZX 10 Track bike - (see above)
06 GSXR 600 Track Bike -ditto above :-)
06 525 EXC
06 525 EXC motard
07 12 GS for Jr. with a brand new motor12/09!
06 525 EXC for Jr., new motor, ugh
09 690 Enduro R... I know, I know
ztrab is offline   Reply With Quote