Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 PM   #3826
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 914
And you're using a KTM 525 fork/clamp setup?

I don't think I'm going for that amount of travel. I just want to be able to run down fire roads and similarly maintained dirt roads, not go full off-roader with it.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:12 PM   #3827
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post

I don't think I'm going for that amount of travel. I just want to be able to run down fire roads and similarly maintained dirt roads, not go full off-roader with it.

I'm using yz450 forks, with modified internals for the sportster weight.

You do not need this level of suspension for normal fire roads. I believe a set of sport forks with internals revavled for scrambler work would be great. It would be a better scrambler than you can get from a factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #3828
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

That sounds good to me. From my research the Sportster suspension just plain sucks all around. I know it'll need to be addressed for what I want. I also wouldn't have a problem with switching out the forks and/or triples as long as I can find something that'll work, be readily available, and not overly expensive.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:24 PM   #3829
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,527
Go Sportsters

Quote:
That sounds good to me. From my research the Sportster suspension just plain sucks all around. I know it'll need to be addressed for what I want. I also wouldn't have a problem with switching out the forks and/or triples as long as I can find something that'll work, be readily available, and not overly expensive.

To make it work right you need to keep balance. So long travel forks mean a lot of work on the rear suspension. Not to just level the bike out, but to keep the travel balance, and keep the anti squat values in check with swingarm angle. If you have full length sportster fork the call Motocd.com and get him to sell you his new dualsport valves. He won't want to, but tell him I sent you and the Klr valves should work. If he needs a fork to test I'll send him I spare I have. I tried the new valves he designed and am very impressed. That would save you some coin and trouble. Just change the fork oil and drop in the valve. I'd help you in any way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #3830
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Much appreciated. I have yet to buy a Sportster for this project so I don't know what forks I'll wind up with.

I'm trying to find the cheapest 91 or newer 883 I can. I'm not overly worried if it runs or not either as I'm planning a 1250 swap, I just need the bottom end to be good.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:33 AM   #3831
ADpete
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
go the sportster

Since changing my wheels to 21" front and 17" rear with tkc80 tires I much more conferdent in the project. But an up coming rally may call for a river crossing. With a water depth of 12-18" (no deeper I hope ). The ride will be 9000km round trip. I have a choice between an 8 year old Kim 640 adv. or 2013 sportster (with wheels and tires ) .But if I take the sportster what areas need water proofing. Has any one ridden throw deep water with a sportster.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:45 AM   #3832
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,296
If anyone's put a Sportster to the real test, it's probably rtwdoug...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681994
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #3833
ishdishwishfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
One of the scrambler builds has a rear nissin master. I think either it's a pull action or he fabbed up a bracket like this:

http://www.fabkevin.com/shop/brakes/...ster-cylinder/

I don't know what it'd take to hook it up to stock caliper if you want to take that route--thread pitch is 1mm if that helps. Fab Kevin also makes linkages, but they're way over priced also. I don't think it'd be that big a deal to find the dies to make them. bungking sells the heim joints and brake stays as well.

Some guys have been relocating their masters up under the frame--I don't bother asking about it, I've derailed a guy's shop thread by posting my build. Either it sucked that bad or was so good he got pissed and stopped posting
But they're probably using a cable bracket like the one I posted above. Oh and BTW I tried looking up what year sportster mag had the cush drive, ebay had one up for sale but it seems like XLforum and hog aren't that concerned, but I know they carry no weight here.
ishdishwishfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #3834
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Pic for inspiration...

Another route for the sporty

Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #3835
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

That's a good looking ride, is that a Buell front on it?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:27 AM   #3836
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,296
Looks to be a modified XR1200.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:23 AM   #3837
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,238
Go Sportsters

That's a kit for the XR sold by Adrenalin. Jewel Racer.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 07:36 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 AM   #3838
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 298
Quote:

FWIW I installed Progressive springs in my 2002 sportster; used 7/8" spacer for preload. So far they have handled all the dirt, gravel and mud i have thrown at them. Simple installation and less than $100. Installing a set of valves as mentioned from various companies is another route. John and Randy have far more experience with these than I do( I have none as a matter of fact). I may eventually drop some Ricor Intiminators in to see how they pair with the progressive springs. This is a less costly alternative for rigid mount sporty's with out having to replace forks and triple tree's.

Progressive springs

Another option if you end up getting a "rubber mount" Sportster is the Progressive Cartridge mono tubes. First class suspension and you can use the stock forks. Would be more than enough for your application. Cost would be less than $250 if you shop around. This is a product that I wish I could have installed on my 2002. It will give you all the features of a 1200S front suspension; but with a lifetime warranty

Progressive Mono Tube Fork Cartridge Kit

Rod

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)

rodteague screwed with this post 03-31-2014 at 07:49 AM
rodteague is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:31 PM   #3839
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
That's a good looking ride, is that a Buell front on it?
Ohlins suspension kit including rear shocks. Front brakes are the full floater kit. Bike was set up for previous owner at Bartels in Marina Del Rey although the XRCR bodywork was done directly through Jewel in France.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:11 PM   #3840
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodteague View Post
... I may eventually drop some Ricor Intiminators in to see how they pair with the progressive springs...
I understand that Ricor generally recommends linear springs for use with Intiminators. That said, some do use progressive fork springs with 'em.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote