ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #61
tonyd48
Back to 1wheel drive

Oddometer: 9
Eh? Programming Rage GPS unit

I'm looking at this iOS8 software package for $50 (US): http://yehob.ecrater.com/p/10235152/igo8-2013-q2-north-america-usa
Appears to include the map area I want and an operating system. Anyone have/used iGOx software on their existing GPS units? Experiences and any guidance appreciated. If you have a Rage unit what OS are you running? Where did you get your maps? What has been your financial investment to date? Are you happy with the unit? I found this site Tyre To Travel which states: "And Tyre is the program that integrates Google Earth / Maps" and working with Google maps is my preferred map as I'm so familiar with it. Any feedback on Tyre To Travel?

Thanks - TonyD
tonyd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 02:37 AM   #62
ThomasD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd48 View Post
I'm looking at this iOS8 software package for $50 (US): http://yehob.ecrater.com/p/10235152/igo8-2013-q2-north-america-usa
Appears to include the map area I want and an operating system.
Yes, this is the complete package you need to start over with newest iGO8 und US maps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyd48 View Post
Anyone have/used iGOx software on their existing GPS units? Experiences and any guidance appreciated.
I use iGO8 V 8.3.5.231128 with NavTech and / or TomTom Maps on the RAGE. If you want to use TTS Voices, they sometimes are a stuttering a little bit. Put this lines in the sys.txt of igo and your fine:
Code:
[rawdisplay]
highres="0" 
screen_x=480 screen_y=272 
[interface] 
maxzoom2d=6000000
[QUOTE=tonyd48;23844148]If you have a Rage unit what OS are you running?/QUOTE]
You can´t select the OS you are running with the RAGE itself, because WinCE6 is programmed in the ROM.

If you mean what other GPS programs run on the RAGE - well: iGO8, iGO9 (Primo), Navigon, OziCE, TwoNav...
ThomasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #63
tonyd48
Back to 1wheel drive

Thanks for the reply, I'll play once it arrives and post an update.

Nothing about TyresToTravel experience?
tonyd48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #64
riverflow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowchi View Post
Hi all. GPS noob here. This unit certainly seems like what I'm looking for in terms of affordability. I'm currently riding in VN. Right now I use google earth to locate forest trails to explore. Pretty much hit and miss and using printouts of the screenshots to try and figure the route out as I go. As you can imagine, trails disappear and split etc. I'd really like to be able to "trace out a route" on google earth and then input that into a gps unit like the 4.3"rage. If I could do that I'd have the security of the gps to guide me where now I just turn back if I can't guess how to continue on a trail. Can I do that with the rage without spending a ton on special software? Much thanks.
If it can handle GPX files, then you can do exactly that.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937605

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #65
Phyxion
It's I

Oddometer: 6
Anyone out here with the Rage GPS and the Sena SMH10? I'd like to know if the Rage is connected through HFP instead of A2DP so I can still hear the GPS while my mates are talking (with A2DP the priority is below talking so you'll never hear the GPS).
Phyxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #66
rpeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxion View Post
Anyone out here with the Rage GPS and the Sena SMH10? I'd like to know if the Rage is connected through HFP instead of A2DP so I can still hear the GPS while my mates are talking (with A2DP the priority is below talking so you'll never hear the GPS).
The Rage can use only A2DP.

I like to use my phone for music and calls, connected to the headset with A2DP. So to hear the GPS, I connect it via A2DP to a Bluetooth receiver hard-wired to an SR10 input, and the SR10 output connects to the headset with HFP. The SR10 has priority when the GPS has something to say.

It's a convoluted process, but it works.
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:40 PM   #67
Phyxion
It's I

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeter View Post

I like to use my phone for music and calls, connected to the headset with A2DP. So to hear the GPS, I connect it via A2DP to a Bluetooth receiver hard-wired to an SR10 input, and the SR10 output connects to the headset with HFP. The SR10 has priority when the GPS has something to say.

That's too bad, I really don't understand why they would only do A2DP and not HFP/HSP so one can actually hear the instructions Is there no setting you can change to use HFP?
Phyxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #68
lars88
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:

I don't understand your message; what is an SR10 input?
Could you please explain it to me in understandable language for me (i'm sorry). How much will this cost etc?

It's because I'm also very interested in the rage, but i also want to listen to music by my phone when i'm driving.
Thanks in advance!
lars88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 AM   #69
rpeter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lars88 View Post
I don't understand your message; what is an SR10 input?
Could you please explain it to me in understandable language for me (i'm sorry). How much will this cost etc?

It's because I'm also very interested in the rage, but i also want to listen to music by my phone when i'm driving.
Thanks in advance!
The SR10 is another Sena product. It has numerous inputs - 3.5mm, two-way radio, wired PTT - which it combines and then transmits to the SMH10 via HFP. So, for instance, you could wire a radar detector and GPS to the SR10, and then send the audio from both to the headset with HFP, while the headset A2DP is connected to your phone.

The cost is about $150.

http://senabluetooth.com/product/adapters/sr10/
rpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #70
lars88
n00b

Quote:
The SR10 is another Sena product. It has numerous inputs - 3.5mm, two-way radio, wired PTT - which it combines and then transmits to the SMH10 via HFP. So, for instance, you could wire a radar detector and GPS to the SR10, and then send the audio from both to the headset with HFP, while the headset A2DP is connected to your phone.

The cost is about $150.

http://senabluetooth.com/product/adapters/sr10/
Thanks for your explanation! I now fully understand it, but do think that's a bit too expensive for me.
lars88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:41 PM   #71
Skizzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
It's this device equipped with a full version of WinCE 6.0?!
It is possible to install WinCE programs using the .CAB file?
:)
Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #72
ThomasD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizzo View Post
It is possible to install WinCE programs using the .CAB file?
No.
ThomasD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:25 PM   #73
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
I just got back home after a 10 day ride with this GPS...

- Slow to calculate routes. Seriously, sometimes it takes it too long to come up with a route. Probably depends on the software you're using
- Poor reception. In some places it was just not possible to get a GPS lock, sometimes it would lose signal and other times it would think I was riding on the dirt by the highway. Not related to the software.
- Screen is barely readable under sunlight. You must cover/shade the screen to see what's in there.
- It hates cold weather, the battery will stop charging and you'll have to reset it.

But it got me back home...

And for the price you can barely get a decent car GPS. no motorcycle GPS is that cheap!
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #74
cozza
n00b

Rage GPS

Hi Guys

New to the forum so please bear with me.

I have been reading this tread with interest as I have also purchased a Rage GPS and I have discovered a problem.
I have an Interphone F5XT I have paired my phone and another headset with no problems.
The issue I have is when I pair up with the Rage it appears to be transmitting all of the time so if I select the radio mode on the Interphone it goes straight back to the rage as it thinks that there is audio directions being sent even though all you can hear is a low level white noise.

I assume it's the protocol that the Windows 6 CE uses but I'm a bit in the dark, any ideas guys.

Cheers
cozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #75
tonyd48
Back to 1wheel drive

Thumbs down RAGE GPS Unit - Returning

I'm returning for a refund. Did find software for it here (linked) for $53.00 plus some freight but unit just had too many hiccups. Battery life was a joke, I charged it via the computer (usb) and it was on the charge for 18 hours with minimal charge, could not find any "switch" to ensure it was charging and not just an auxiliary storage but little charging icon was moving so....
Ended up getting a full charge in about an hour or so by plugging the usb into my Samsung phone charger and that worked like a charm, really took an hour plus a little for full charge. Started working with the unit plugged back into the computer to try and get the software to recognize the unit and with an hour the battery was wiped and I had to recharge again. Couple the cost of the unit with the cost of the software and I'm getting close to the cost of a TomTom Rider which I know works and has life time maps. I'm returning the RAGE and ordered the TomTom.