ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 68 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:38 PM   #1051
kkm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I just had to see if the Monterra can work like Garmin says. After one week it is going back to Garmin. The first one sent to me had to go back because of a screen defect. The second one locks up just looking at it. What a complete pile of SHIT.
Kevin
2006 KTM 525EXC
2004 KTM 525EXC
kkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #1052
mwinder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Mine has never locked up. But im not a gps power user.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
mwinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:17 PM   #1053
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkm View Post
I just had to see if the Monterra can work like Garmin says. After one week it is going back to Garmin. The first one sent to me had to go back because of a screen defect. The second one locks up just looking at it. What a complete pile of SHIT.

Kevin

To bad you had such a bad experience. First I've heard of a Monterra where the OS had stability issues. Android 4.0.4 has been rock solid on the ones I've tested.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #1054
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
CNNA Map not in menu after update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
In my case I have to go to the home screen, using the Back button, after the track is activated before the track shows up with its blue line.

This makes it work even on routable maps. I tried both City Navigator and our Swedish Topo map that is routable.
Hmm, panic at first as I chose navigate track, saw the track at high level of zoom, zoomed in and then no track on screen. Went to Track Manager and Show on Map, checked box (like Dan said), and there track was on screen now, but still only one line. Then backed out to home screen like above and back to map and then the two parallel lines showed up. Sure would be frustrating if no forum for these hints and tips.

But now my CN map is not showing in Map Info screen. :-( Still see it in the same Garmin folder next to Topo US 24K. Not using any dashboard either (tried small font and others). Forced closed, hard reboot, etc. Good thing weather cancelled trip in morning, lesson is to never install "update" right before a trip.
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #1055
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Yes, a lesson learned by many, never mess with your GPS's software unless you have a few days to deal with it.

I have about 30 Apps installed on my Monterra and many Wi-Fi, Bluetooth configurations and Custom Profiles--none of which are really backed-up well and have to be re-configured after a Master Reset (Factory data reset). It takes me about 1.5hrs to recover from a MR and I have it down pretty good these days. BUT, it does seem to cure some rather flaky behavior now and then after updates.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 04:50 PM
Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 PM   #1056
StuInFH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
Yes, a lesson learned by many, never mess with your GPS's software unless you have a few days to deal with it.

I have about 30 Apps installed on my Monterra and many Wi-Fi, Bluetooth configurations and Custom Profiles--none of which are really backed-up well and have to be re-configured after a Master Reset (Factory data reset). It takes me about 1.5hrs to recover from a MR and I have it done pretty good these days. BUT, it does seem to cure some rather flaky behavior now and then after updates.
Yup, I had to cancel trip days ago, so it's an ok time to geek around with this update. I considered your MR tip from above, but dread the rework of course, even with only a fraction of your customization. Wonder if I were to un and reinstall CN map set if GOA would then see it? Would be a lot easier to try than a MR for sure.
thanks
StuInFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #1057
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuInFH View Post
Yup, I had to cancel trip days ago, so it's an ok time to geek around with this update. I considered your MR tip from above, but dread the rework of course, even with only a fraction of your customization. Wonder if I were to un and reinstall CN map set if GOA would then see it? Would be a lot easier to try than a MR for sure.
thanks
I can think of only two reasons that the GOA isn't loading the CN map:
  1. You have too many map tiles (4000max) in the maps you have in storage.
  2. You don't have a good GMA (unlock file) file loaded in either of the /mnt/sdcard/Garmin/GMA or /mnt/ext-sdcard/Garmin/GMA folders.

Deleting and reinstalling can't hurt...

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-04-2014, 05:41 PM   #1058
DoubleThumper
Purposefully Lost

Oddometer: 248
Question

Wow, a lot of unhappy campers to say the least. Im going to upgrade my GPS for this season, sounds like I should get a Montana and forget the Monterra. (I just had hope it would work with the GS911 as well)

Sent from my MIND using TELEKINESIS V2.3
DoubleThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #1059
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleThumper View Post
Wow, a lot of unhappy campers to say the least. Im going to upgrade my GPS for this season, sounds like I should get a Montana and forget the Monterra. (I just had hope it would work with the GS911 as well)

While I don't expect Garmin is going to add SPP Bluetooth support (required by the current Bluetooth GS-911), the Wi-Fi works very well and the GS-911 folks are coming out with a Wi-Fi model sometime.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #1060
DoubleThumper
Purposefully Lost

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
While I don't expect Garmin is going to add SPP Bluetooth support (required by the current Bluetooth GS-911), the Wi-Fi works very well and the GS-911 folks are coming out with a Wi-Fi model sometime.
Now that would be a great upgrade! Thanks for the info!

Sent from my MIND using TELEKINESIS V2.3
DoubleThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:12 AM   #1061
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
With the latests upgrades I am finally satisfied with the device and feel I no longer have to have both the Montana and Monterra installed on my bike.

I purchased the Monterra because I liked the addition of wifi and the MP3 player. I am a rare breed and do not use a smart phone so the addition of the wifi allows me to eliminate carrying a laptop on trips to keep up with email.

Prior to the Monterra I used my Zumo 665 to listen to music and to have the bluetooth connection to my cell phone to enable my wife to at least try to get hold of me in an emergency -- (I ride a lot in areas without cell coverage).

I find that music sooths me when I ride and since my ears are bothered if I do not wear plugs I find why not just use good earbuds.

I cannot even count the number of Garmin and Delorme devices I have owned and used extensively and am happy with the Monterra now.

That being said, I rarely use routing except to find a hotel at the end of a day or for some rerouting. Myself and our group use tracks almost exclusively, but a couple of us are very experienced at designing routes and we try to stay on dirt roads and primarily primitive roads when possible.

One feature of the Monterra I really like over the Montana is the fact I can now have more than one custom map of an area installed in the device. With the Monterra I can choose which map I want. With the Montana it was an all custom maps selection, which caused me to have to carry chips for various custom maps. I have built custom maps for all the MVUM's in the areas I ride or plan to ride as well as for the Benchmark maps in the four state area I principally ride. There are also a smattering of BLM maps in my collection.

Right now my biggest compaint is the shading of Indian lands with the edition of City Nav I purchased for this device (the download version). The shading makes it difficult to see certain roads when travelling on those lands. The fact that the Monterra's screen is not quite as easy to read as the Montana makes this problem worse.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #1062
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The Monterra uses a different TYP file, which determines the coloration of the City Navigator maps, than the one used on the Montana. It is MUCH better than the original TYP file they had but still not as good as the one on the Montana when it comes to road visibility across all background colors.

The BMW Navigator V (NAV5) has a builtin map Theme manager and the files are easily edited on a computer to create your own Map coloring theme. It would really be nice if that code were ported to the Monterra.

Submit your thought to: garmin.com/ideas
This is a feature request for the Garmin Monterra. Please consider porting the BMW Motorrad Navigator V Map Theme code to the Monterra GOA. The current CNNA TYP file is not very well suited for some field use where various background colors can make seeing some road types difficult. Having the Map Theme function would allow for custom Themes to be created for certain areas of a region and selected by the device user as needed.

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-05-2014 at 08:17 AM
Old 04-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #1063
kave
Gravel rules

Oddometer: 478
Why not edit your own typ file? I just changed on the Topo map of sweden and it its night and day. Here are some example files http://resmark.se/gps/hmrtyp.zip

Here are some examples I made with the Monterra typ file on my Edge. I havent had time to do my Monterra review yet. http://www.livingwithtech.net/garmin-edge-800

Today I was riding with the Monterra, I got some messages while riding that it couldnt connect to google. Any idea what that is? I had wifi disabled as I usually have.
kave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #1064
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kave View Post
Why not edit your own typ file? I just changed on the Topo map of sweden and it its night and day. Here are some example files http://resmark.se/gps/hmrtyp.zip

Here are some examples I made with the Monterra typ file on my Edge. I havent had time to do my Monterra review yet. http://www.livingwithtech.net/garmin-edge-800

Today I was riding with the Monterra, I got some messages while riding that it couldnt connect to google. Any idea what that is? I had wifi disabled as I usually have.
Yeah, TYP files can be changed but it would be easier for the average person to have the NAV5 Map Theme feature where you can change Map Themes at any time.

Check you settings for Location Services?

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #1065
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quess this means I don't need to try a different version of CN.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
The Monterra uses a different TYP file, which determines the coloration of the City Navigator maps, than the one used on the Montana. It is MUCH better than the original TYP file they had but still not as good as the one on the Montana when it comes to road visibility across all background colors.

The BMW Navigator V (NAV5) has a builtin map Theme manager and the files are easily edited on a computer to create your own Map coloring theme. It would really be nice if that code were ported to the Monterra.

Submit your thought to: garmin.com/ideas
This is a feature request for the Garmin Monterra. Please consider porting the BMW Motorrad Navigator V Map Theme code to the Monterra GOA. The current CNNA TYP file is not very well suited for some field use where various background colors can make seeing some road types difficult. Having the Map Theme function would allow for custom Themes to be created for certain areas of a region and selected by the device user as needed.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote