Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2014, 08:26 PM   #1486
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizze View Post
It's easier to see if somebody is moving towards you by watching where the tire meets the road.
Wrong. Better to look at the top of the front tire. You'll see it move easier than the bottom.

It sleighs me how this thread is titled "most important things to know for a motorcycling n00b", yet most respondents are in fact n00bs.

Ignorance breeds....ignorance.
'07 R12GSA (Moose), '97 KTM 400 R/XCe, '90 RM250, IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #1487
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
There are so many. But learning to put the sidestand up, not starting the engine in gear without the clutch in, and learning to use NON ABS brakes are three important ones. The rider should learn how to control their bike, and not the other way around. Seems to me if a rider cannot learn these simple things, they are not qualified to learn all the rest of the things necessary to ride a motorcycle with reasonable safety.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:04 AM   #1488
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
Wrong. Better to look at the top of the front tire. You'll see it move easier than the bottom.

It sleighs me how this thread is titled "most important things to know for a motorcycling n00b", yet most respondents are in fact n00bs.

And so does arrogance. No need to be harsh.

Although you're certainly correct, you can really view any part of the car, even a door panel, and your peripherals will be able to tell if the car is moving. I think the main takeaway here is, "don't take eye contact with the driver to mean anything". Which is an extremely important lesson. Don't even look at the driver, they're probably ugly anyway.

Constantly being aware of your surroundings doesn't come from looking at specific points and judging their course/speed/etc. If you're constantly scanning your mirrors, you won't see the guy pulling out right in front of you. Just relax, use your peripherals and if you find yourself in a situation you don't like (like in someone's blind spot), don't be afraid to slow down and back out of it. Knowing your exit is essential, but pretty much impossible when you're completely surrounded.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #1489
Slotheee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Corners, Go in slow, come out faster.
Go in fast, come out Dead !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMusicMark View Post
I'm doing some research on what would be more helpful to know at a person’s start in motorcycling versus learning it over years in the "school of hard knocks".

Things like..."Don't transport a bike on the centerstand. It might break the frame". or "Standing up on the pegs or at least putting more pressure on them makes the bike less top heavy and better to control at low speed".

Could you help my research by answering the following question...”What did you wish someone told you about motorcycling when you first started out?”

Thanks. Mark Tillack
Brinkhaven, OH(USA)
Slotheee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:32 PM   #1490
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonawesome View Post
And so does arrogance. No need to be harsh.
Didn't mean to come across as arrogant or harsh. My apologies.

I do, however, disagree with the rest of your post.
'07 R12GSA (Moose), '97 KTM 400 R/XCe, '90 RM250, IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #1491
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:

Ignorance sleighs (sic).
Old 04-01-2014, 06:52 PM   #1492
geolpilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Pulled by stupid reindeer!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
geolpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:48 AM   #1493
Anonawesome
Scenic Rider

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Didn't mean to come across as arrogant or harsh. My apologies.

I do, however, disagree with the rest of your post.
No worries, the internet is the best place to have your words misunderstood.

When I was in driving school, my instructor said something along the lines of "I'm scared to drive with someone who never checks their mirrors, but I'm more scared to drive with someone who is constantly scanning them".

That kind of stuck with me because I realized that if you're just scanning your mirrors over and over, you really will be less aware of what's in front of you. That being said, I'm not saying that I don't scan my mirrors. In heavy traffic, I'm checking once about every 5 seconds, watching the car coming up behind me to make sure they're slowing down, etc. But the point of what I'm trying to say is, the human brain can only take in so much info at one time, so if you're overwhelming it nonstop, you're going to miss a lot.

The road is a place where fluidity and subconscious reactions will save your ass. When that moment comes, where you need to take action to avoid the guy turning left in front of you, you won't really have time to step back and think about his speed, direction, the car behind you, etc. And you CERTAINLY don't want to be looking in your mirrors when it happens. Just like any other task that takes mental concentration, you won't be at your A-game if you're stressed or overwhelmed.

Sent from an iPad aspiring to be a latop.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #1494
Argus16
ThReAd KiLleR

Oddometer: 538
Word to n00bs...

wax your tank BUT DONT armor-all your seat.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #1495
theycallmetrinity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Eek

I started reading this thread and went through the first couple of pages and very surprised no one here mentioned one of the most important rule:

Wear your HELMET and proper gear! I'm here typing this today because I wore my gear when a cager decided to turn into my lane and t boned him at 50 mph.

2009 Triumph Thruxton
2013 Kawasaki KLR 650
theycallmetrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #1496
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Go to the Flea Market.

1911fan
Just make sure and pass up the booths that are selling used helmets!!!
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #1497
Newbedonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sineti View Post
wear your helmet and keep your finger on the horn when passing cars weaving through lanes-which your technically not supposed to do, but will have to do anyway.
Why will you have to weave through lanes?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #1498
Newbedonnie
Banned

[QUOTE=sailorninja;23430824]As a noob to riding, I have a curious question. Is it normal that I am slightly unsettled by turning sharply? I've only been riding in the yard on my ninja. But it feels as though it is going to slide out from under me. Im still practicing just curious if the feeling will go away? :

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE
You bought a Ninja as a first bike? And you're practicing on grass? Something is wrong with this picture...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #1499
Newbedonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
Yeah, on grass. My boyfriend said it would be better to start there until I am more comfortable, then I could start on pavement.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Well, at least put some knobbies on it if you're going to listen to your boyfriend...
Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #1500
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
[QUOTE=Newbedonnie;23890124]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
As a noob to riding, I have a curious question. Is it normal that I am slightly unsettled by turning sharply? I've only been riding in the yard on my ninja. But it feels as though it is going to slide out from under me. Im still practicing just curious if the feeling will go away? :

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE
You bought a Ninja as a first bike? And you're practicing on grass? Something is wrong with this picture...
Had a similar feeling when I bought my first bike after decades off the road. Left hand turns in particular felt really 'wobbly' I put it down to being older/more nervous/inexperience on a big bike etc. Fell off the damn thing on my own driveway turning off it to boot. Finally decided 'I'm too old for this, must have lost my sense of balance or nerve or something' and went to sell it. Turns out - the headset was ever so slightly misaligned. It was subtle enough that you could not really tell by just looking but just enough that it threw the steering off enough to make it unstable....you might want to check out that your bike is in alignment before taking it further :)