User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #1516
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 420
Word to n00bs...

wax your tank BUT DONT armor-all your seat.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #1517
theycallmetrinity
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Eek

I started reading this thread and went through the first couple of pages and very surprised no one here mentioned one of the most important rule:

Wear your HELMET and proper gear! I'm here typing this today because I wore my gear when a cager decided to turn into my lane and t boned him at 50 mph.

2009 Triumph Thruxton
2013 Kawasaki KLR 650
theycallmetrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:28 PM   #1518
Newbedonnie
Banned

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Go to the Flea Market.

1911fan
Just make sure and pass up the booths that are selling used helmets!!!
Newbedonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #1519
Newbedonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sineti View Post
wear your helmet and keep your finger on the horn when passing cars weaving through lanes-which your technically not supposed to do, but will have to do anyway.
Why will you have to weave through lanes?
Old 04-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #1520
Newbedonnie
Banned

[QUOTE=sailorninja;23430824]As a noob to riding, I have a curious question. Is it normal that I am slightly unsettled by turning sharply? I've only been riding in the yard on my ninja. But it feels as though it is going to slide out from under me. Im still practicing just curious if the feeling will go away? :

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE
You bought a Ninja as a first bike? And you're practicing on grass? Something is wrong with this picture...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:48 PM   #1521
Newbedonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorninja View Post
Yeah, on grass. My boyfriend said it would be better to start there until I am more comfortable, then I could start on pavement.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Well, at least put some knobbies on it if you're going to listen to your boyfriend...
Old 04-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #1522
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbedonnie View Post
Well, at least put some knobbies on it if you're going to listen to your boyfriend...
It didn't handle too badly on the grass. I wasn't doing anything too crazy though lol.

I'm at the point now where if my boyfriend said "let's live in a garage/house and buy a set of dual sports and keep our rode bikes....I'm down!

-Karlie
sailorninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:01 AM   #1523
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Newbedonnie;23890124]
Quote:
As a noob to riding, I have a curious question. Is it normal that I am slightly unsettled by turning sharply? I've only been riding in the yard on my ninja. But it feels as though it is going to slide out from under me. Im still practicing just curious if the feeling will go away? :

You bought a Ninja as a first bike? And you're practicing on grass? Something is wrong with this picture...
Haha, yeah, I went through msf and started riding on the rode, turns don't "unsettle" me anymore, in fact, they put a smile on my face.
And I actually wanted an army green klr 250 but the man sold it. He had told me he was waiting on his wife to tell him when they would be available and BAM! sold. :(

-Karlie
Old 04-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #1524
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
[QUOTE=Newbedonnie;23890124]
Quote:
As a noob to riding, I have a curious question. Is it normal that I am slightly unsettled by turning sharply? I've only been riding in the yard on my ninja. But it feels as though it is going to slide out from under me. Im still practicing just curious if the feeling will go away? :

Had a similar feeling when I bought my first bike after decades off the road. Left hand turns in particular felt really 'wobbly' I put it down to being older/more nervous/inexperience on a big bike etc. Fell off the damn thing on my own driveway turning off it to boot. Finally decided 'I'm too old for this, must have lost my sense of balance or nerve or something' and went to sell it. Turns out - the headset was ever so slightly misaligned. It was subtle enough that you could not really tell by just looking but just enough that it threw the steering off enough to make it unstable....you might want to check out that your bike is in alignment before taking it further :)
Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 AM   #1525
IrishJohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
My advice is maybe simplistic but it has saved me from a few prangs both on two wheels and on four - 'Better be five minutes late than dead on time'...
Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM   #1526
travis789
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
When you see a girl washing a car, don't look at the girl. Look at the soapy water running out of the driveway into the street. I had an old-timer tell me about biting it like that. Oh, and those puddles of dried tar (in places where they tar cracks in the road)? On a hot day they can be a slick skin that can slip off the melted tar underneath when you apply sideways pressure to it in a turn or put your foot down on one at a stop.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #1527
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis789 View Post
When you see a girl washing a car, don't look at the girl. Look at the soapy water running out of the driveway into the street. I had an old-timer tell me about biting it like that. Oh, and those puddles of dried tar (in places where they tar cracks in the road)? On a hot day they can be a slick skin that can slip off the melted tar underneath when you apply sideways pressure to it in a turn or put your foot down on one at a stop.
Locally we call those strips of sealing tar 'tar snakes' as they can really throw you for a loop if you run over one on a hot day while leaned over.

I suppose it's about the same as if you ran over a real snake.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #1528
sailorninja
Gnarly Adventurer

Always come to a complete stop at any stop sign. Even if it's 4:30 in the morning and the only car is going in the opposite direction.

You never know when that other car is a cop, who will stop you, on your way to work...........:

Sent from my ufo's wifi access
Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #1529
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
My advice is maybe simplistic but it has saved me from a few prangs both on two wheels and on four - 'Better be five minutes late than dead on time'...
Yes! So simple and so true...maybe some of the best advice here, for you John!
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:44 PM   #1530
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
Wear whatever you want but remember...

There's only two types of bikers - those who've had an accident and those who've yet to have one.

When I was riding in the US a few years ago a lot of folks, and this was summer, would ask me why I was wearing leathers when it was so hot - my reply was always the same "'cos when I have an accident, I want to be able to get up and carry on". So wear what you want, but if you want to get up afterwards and carry on - ATGATT.

BTW - "rode" is a verb and "road" is a noun. They may sound the same, but they're not and my brain twitches when I see folks conflate the two. They're not inter-changeable. So please be nice to my brain, I'm old and don't have all that much left.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote