Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 218 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2014, 10:34 AM   #33151
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I want one.....

It will be interesting to watch. Motorcycle suspension does not behave well under about 10 degrees F with out re-valving (seals don't like below zero), hopefully they will have this figured out.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #33152
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
I want one.....

It will be interesting to watch. Motorcycle suspension does not behave well under about 10 degrees F with out re-valving (seals don't like below zero), hopefully they will have this figured out.
Good point. I noticed they aren't really promoting it as snow bike at all.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:14 AM   #33153
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,598
@Aurelius: for CX, track, and gravel, tubulars are probably the best thing you can ride. Otherwise, clinchers are easier to live with on a daily basis since no one rides em any more.

When I first started riding, tubulars were a lot more common on road rides. Now? Not so much.

Yes, there's a performance difference. They ride nicer and corner better than clinchers. For CX and gravel, they also don't pinch flat.

I rode the 3s again last nite at the Reston ride. Chaotic is probably the best word for the ride. I guess it split at some point cause the ride when from 30+ to half that at the end. I was never in any real trouble so I think it may be time to bump a cat and ride with the 1s/2s.

M
Old 04-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #33154
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
@Aurelius: for CX, track, and gravel, tubulars are probably the best thing you can ride. Otherwise, clinchers are easier to live with on a daily basis since no one rides em any more.

When I first started riding, tubulars were a lot more common on road rides. Now? Not so much.

Yes, there's a performance difference. They ride nicer and corner better than clinchers. For CX and gravel, they also don't pinch flat.
Guys at the local shop tell me that tubulars flat more easily, you can't patch them when they do, and they cost around $100 to replace. Not to mention the fact that I'll need to spend even more $$$ on a different set of wheels to use them. So no tubulars for me.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:40 AM   #33155
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,097
tubulars are a pain to mount. Unless you do it often. I did it once and never again.

as gummee stated cyclocross folks love them as they can run lower pressure without pinch flat worries
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #33156
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Guys at the local shop tell me that tubulars flat more easily, you can't patch them when they do, and they cost around $100 to replace. Not to mention the fact that I'll need to spend even more $$$ on a different set of wheels to use them. So no tubulars for me.
I wouldn't say tubulars flat more easily, unless you are comparing them to clinchers with kevlar casing, which you aren't going to be riding if you are going for a light weight performance tire. I don't know of a tubular that has a heavy duty casing, seems like an oxymoron. Like Gummee said, they don't pinch flat so you are just looking at cuts. You could add Slime to the tube maybe.

They ride great, that's for sure. A 25mm tubular has the ride comfort of a 30mm and weighs a hole lot less (rim and tire) than clincher which is kind of a big deal. I've used Tufo rim tape for spares which works pretty well.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 AM   #33157
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,401
Why not try Tubeless? If you aren't worried about the extra few grams, it gives a comfortable ride, because you can run lower pressures without worrying about pinch flatting. Stan's make a conversion kit that makes it pretty easy, if you don't have tubeless ready wheels. I've been running hutchinson Fusion 3's with good results.
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #33158
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
Why not try Tubeless? If you aren't worried about the extra few grams, it gives a comfortable ride, because you can run lower pressures without worrying about pinch flatting. Stan's make a conversion kit that makes it pretty easy, if you don't have tubeless ready wheels. I've been running hutchinson Fusion 3's with good results.
I asked about tubeless, but I was told that they wouldn't work on my rims. I'll ask about the conversion kit.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 PM   #33159
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I asked about tubeless, but I was told that they wouldn't work on my rims. I'll ask about the conversion kit.

Take a look at this page, and you will see what it's all about.

http://www.notubes.com/help/roadtubl...tructions.aspx
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #33160
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,929
Normally, anything over 300 is considered high on the pollen count scale. Yesterday it was at 3170. It was a miserable 24 miles on the Roubaix. Hack, spit, repeat... every half mile.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 AM   #33161
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,905
Calm advice from Jan Heine on greasing crank spindles. Only one typo that I could see, and it doesn't detract.

Key point at end: Go out and enjoy your bike.

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/0...not-to-grease/
Old 04-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #33162
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,082
If anyone needs new tires Excel sports has a number of different tires on sale at great prices ie: conti 4000s $39.95

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?...jor=1&minor=27
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM   #33163
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,082

I must be getting stronger. pretty fair avg speed too. I'll probably have to change my wheel bearings.Beat that KOM Bitches

I've no flipping idea what happened. 255 mi and 333 avg speed. I deleted it it'll screw up my snail like speed avg. I manually entered My bike computer stats needless to say it was a big difference.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor

TheYeti screwed with this post 04-12-2014 at 03:02 PM
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #33164
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,357
I think that's a lie. The lack of climbing is a dead give-a-way.
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #33165
RustyStuff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
I did a 6.5 Mile ride today. Beautiful day here, 75*, Springs finally here.

I even learned that what I always thought was just a substation, was actually a 7.5 Mega watt power plant up till the early 2000's. There's a 50KiloWatt plant up on the hill in the background, that was built in the 20's.

If the grid ever goes down, they better fire that thing back up. Hydro power forever! :lol:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: