Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM   #5566
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Dingo View Post
Really I thought I was buying a "touring bike" I want more than a 100-120 mile range, and I want it to do better on gas than a Corolla. I thought it would be at least as good as my other Duc that was older tech. If I had wanted a "performance bike" I would have gotten an 1198.
Build a corolla that will hit 60 in three seconds and your multi will get better mileage. Problem solved!

I get about 170 out of a tank but have burned one in less than 60. That was a fun day.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #5567
BubbaMc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Anyone using a Laminar Lip windshield attachment for the MTS? Any improvement?

Had one on my ST3, made a world of difference.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #5568
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvez View Post
the multi is a "performance bike", it's 1200 cc 4 valve hi performance engine, so you're absolutely not going to get 50 mpg...
hmmmmm .... my ST1300 is a 1300cc V-4 with 4 valves per cylinder, and I can get 50mpg no problem.

the Ducatisi just oooze attitute .... more than H-D owners even
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #5569
mrphotoman
Banned

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
hmmmmm .... my ST1300 is a 1300cc V-4 with 4 valves per cylinder, and I can get 50mpg no problem.

the Ducatisi just oooze attitute .... more than H-D owners even
yeah hd's oooze performance.

mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:30 PM   #5570
SevenFifty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I average about 40-43 mpg, but I've never tried to conserve any fuel....

Skickat från min Nexus 7 via Tapatalk
SevenFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #5571
ZLTFUL
Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer: 404
Let's talk bars...

Due to some scratches from Ram mounts, I have decided I want to trade out my bars. And I am thinking black.

Who has used Renthal Fatbars or ProTaper Contours?
What bends have you used?
Torn between the Fatbar and the ProTaper Contour ATV High...
ZLTFUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #5572
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Is this bike ok for going on fairly easy gravel trails and loose but yet firmly packed surfaces? I'm not talking a river bed traversing boulder field climbing mountain goat, but your typical gravel road...

I'm looking at a second hand 2011-2012 bike (pre skyhook) as I think that would already be something from another world for me, even without the magic carpet ride suspension. Besides, there is some fun in twiddling with your suspension settings the old skool way (for me at least) and a standard ohlins setup will already be better than anything I have owned before. So I'm not worried about that. Besides, on a standard road your progression (forward momentum) depends on so many variables that, while admittedly being much more efficient, I would never notice the second here and there you might gain in a turn or hairpin. But I agree it is the future! Multi, caponord, FJR, tenere, bmw, all have active or semiactive suspension at the moment!

I like gadgets and new shiny tech as much as everyone else, but when it starts clouding rational judgement, that is when I jump of the hype train (as good as it might be!) :) A 13000 euro 2012 with 10000 km versus a 21000 euro 2013 just doesn't make any sense for the skyhook alone :) (also says a lot about depreciation of this bike! yikes, but ok...)

Just a few questions, what is wind protection like for a TALL guy (6'4") and what screen do you recommend. Also, is it possible to get aftermarket seats? I test rode a multi like one and a half years ago, I noticed that with my built, I was sliding forward a bit in the seat. You also sit fairly close to the bars or more upfront 'in' the motorcycle than on some other bikes, but that is just a matter of getting used to it. However the tendency to slide forward a bit stayed with me, maybe I need to test ride another one soon.

Aside from that, I feel like this might be the most reliable ducati in ages? I see fairly little complaints for such a sexy exclusive motorcycle (and as we all know, reliability is inversely proportional to sexyness :) ) and the 24000 km major service intervals are music to my ears. good job ducati!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:15 AM   #5573
uwe999
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
?..

Just a few questions, what is wind protection like for a TALL guy (6'4") and what screen do you recommend. Also, is it possible to get aftermarket seats? I test rode a multi like one and a half years ago, I noticed that with my built, I was sliding forward a bit in the seat. You also sit fairly close to the bars or more upfront 'in' the motorcycle than on some other bikes, but that is just a matter of getting used to it. However the tendency to slide forward a bit stayed with me, maybe I need to test ride another one soon.

Aside from that, I feel like this might be the most reliable ducati in ages? I see fairly little complaints for such a sexy exclusive motorcycle (and as we all know, reliability is inversely proportional to sexyness :) ) and the 24000 km major service intervals are music to my ears. good job ducati!
I'm 6'5 and have enough room on the MS. The taller shield from the GT version is great and the 20mm risers from Touratech bring the bars up enough to make it more comfortable to ride
uwe999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #5574
Shizoku
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I commute about 80 miles round trip on the Multi GT. It's a pretty good upgrade most the way to work, but conversely downhill on the way back.
I usually cruise 80-85 on the speedo, realizing it's off by about 5 mph. I too average between 40-43 religiously.

I filled up a couple days ago and figured I'd try an experiment. My goal was to keep the speed between 70-79 and see what would happen to my mpg. After 2 round trips to work, 160 miles, and keeping the speed mostly under 80, but above 72, my mpg registered at 45.

I imagine if I actually went the speed limit, my mileage would easily be in the 50+ range. But the fun factor would nonexistent. Then again, I didn't buy this bike to be bored...

Dave In Valencia
Old 04-12-2014, 10:57 AM   #5575
Freshorse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
Is this bike ok for going on fairly easy gravel trails and loose but yet firmly packed surfaces? I'm not talking a river bed traversing boulder field climbing mountain goat, but your typical gravel road...

I'm looking at a second hand 2011-2012 bike (pre skyhook) as I think that would already be something from another world for me, even without the magic carpet ride suspension. Besides, there is some fun in twiddling with your suspension settings the old skool way (for me at least) and a standard ohlins setup will already be better than anything I have owned before. So I'm not worried about that. Besides, on a standard road your progression (forward momentum) depends on so many variables that, while admittedly being much more efficient, I would never notice the second here and there you might gain in a turn or hairpin. But I agree it is the future! Multi, caponord, FJR, tenere, bmw, all have active or semiactive suspension at the moment!

I like gadgets and new shiny tech as much as everyone else, but when it starts clouding rational judgement, that is when I jump of the hype train (as good as it might be!) :) A 13000 euro 2012 with 10000 km versus a 21000 euro 2013 just doesn't make any sense for the skyhook alone :) (also says a lot about depreciation of this bike! yikes, but ok...)

Typical gravel and dirt roads no problem long as it's dry. Any mud you'll want different tires.
Freshorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #5576
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizoku View Post

I imagine if I actually went the speed limit, my mileage would easily be in the 50+ range. But the fun factor would nonexistent. Then again, I didn't buy this bike to be bored...

Dave In Valencia
Well said
joef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 05:12 AM   #5577
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,341
ARiderX, I'd aim for the newest 2012 you can afford, and one with an extended warranty almost a must (hopefully the manufacturer's warranty is still valid). If so, check to see if the coolant bulletin/recall was performed. Of course, a service history is nice to have.

Best success,
Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #5578
BubbaMc
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLTFUL View Post
Due to some scratches from Ram mounts, I have decided I want to trade out my bars. And I am thinking black.

Who has used Renthal Fatbars or ProTaper Contours?
What bends have you used?
Torn between the Fatbar and the ProTaper Contour ATV High...
Some wet and dry sandpaper and a rattle can of satin black.

Geometry of the stock bars is perfect imo.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #5579
BubbaMc
Adventurer

ARiderX: the 2010-2012 multi is a sensational bike. You will not be disappointed!

If I was buying again I would get that model for sure.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #5580
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
galfer green rear brake pads

Installed today. Granted, they are not bedded yet, but a marked improvement over the stock ferodo. You can actually feel them grab, which is a lot better than the stock ones on my 2012 MTS which just hinted at slowing the bike.

P/N from cycle brakes: FD220 G1532

http://www.cyclebrakes.net/search.aspx?find=FD220G1532

That spring clip on caliper is a total PIA!

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote