ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #1501
IrishJohn
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: St Louis MO
Oddometer: 71
My advice is maybe simplistic but it has saved me from a few prangs both on two wheels and on four - 'Better be five minutes late than dead on time'...
__________________
Irish John
IrishJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #1502
travis789
Adventurer
 
travis789's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: Maryland
Oddometer: 95
When you see a girl washing a car, don't look at the girl. Look at the soapy water running out of the driveway into the street. I had an old-timer tell me about biting it like that. Oh, and those puddles of dried tar (in places where they tar cracks in the road)? On a hot day they can be a slick skin that can slip off the melted tar underneath when you apply sideways pressure to it in a turn or put your foot down on one at a stop.
__________________
“Immorality is the word we use to describe people that are not sinning the same way we are.”
― Shannon L. Alder
travis789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #1503
slide
A nation in despair
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: NM, USA
Oddometer: 21,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis789 View Post
When you see a girl washing a car, don't look at the girl. Look at the soapy water running out of the driveway into the street. I had an old-timer tell me about biting it like that. Oh, and those puddles of dried tar (in places where they tar cracks in the road)? On a hot day they can be a slick skin that can slip off the melted tar underneath when you apply sideways pressure to it in a turn or put your foot down on one at a stop.
Locally we call those strips of sealing tar 'tar snakes' as they can really throw you for a loop if you run over one on a hot day while leaned over.

I suppose it's about the same as if you ran over a real snake.
__________________
Why be born again when you can just grow up?
slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #1504
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Toto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishJohn View Post
My advice is maybe simplistic but it has saved me from a few prangs both on two wheels and on four - 'Better be five minutes late than dead on time'...
Yes! So simple and so true...maybe some of the best advice here, for you John!
Toto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:44 PM   #1505
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,192
Wear whatever you want but remember...

There's only two types of bikers - those who've had an accident and those who've yet to have one.

When I was riding in the US a few years ago a lot of folks, and this was summer, would ask me why I was wearing leathers when it was so hot - my reply was always the same "'cos when I have an accident, I want to be able to get up and carry on". So wear what you want, but if you want to get up afterwards and carry on - ATGATT.

BTW - "rode" is a verb and "road" is a noun. They may sound the same, but they're not and my brain twitches when I see folks conflate the two. They're not inter-changeable. So please be nice to my brain, I'm old and don't have all that much left.
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #1506
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Wear whatever you want but remember...

There's only two types of bikers - those who've had an accident and those who've yet to have one.
Myth.
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #1507
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern NC
Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Myth.
Agreed!
__________________
"It's more fun to ride a slow girl fast than a fast girl slow."
1999 DR350SEX
Soldier311 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #1508
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tapdiggy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 184
Because I am "that guy" who can't resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
...BTW - "rode" is a verb and "road" is a noun. They may sound the same, but they're not and my brain twitches when I see folks conflate the two. They're not inter-changeable. So please be nice to my brain, I'm old and don't have all that much left.
You should have said "confuse", and interchangeable does not contain a hyphen.
Unless you were being sarcastic. If that is the case, hee hee, clever.
__________________
My riding shoes are Adidas. Boom
tapdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #1509
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by tapdiggy View Post
You should have said "confuse", and interchangeable does not contain a hyphen.
Unless you were being sarcastic. If that is the case, hee hee, clever.
Sadly I wasn't being sarcastic so that's my bad and I accept and welcome your correction :) althought there's an argument to be made for the use of "conflate".

As for the second - yeah, I'm just gonna go-ahead and stand by my use of the hyphen

And now back to your regularly scheduled programme - I am "mythless".
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #1510
TinaFiorentinha
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2014
Oddometer: 1
S.i.p.d.e

S.I.P.D.E." as a guideline
"S" = Scan (be aware of as much around you as possible).
"I" = Identify (Identify potential problems).
"P" = Predict (think about what COULD happen).
"D" = Decide (Decide what you want to do to avoid those potential problems) "E" = Execute (take action to move away from potential problems)."
TinaFiorentinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #1511
Noone
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Sitting at a Cross Roads lookin' for a sign
Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis789 View Post
When you see a girl washing a car, don't look at the girl. Look at the soapy water running out of the driveway into the street. .
And stop smoking, drinking, eating bacon, .......

When you see a girl washing a car.....stop and have a good look.
Noone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:54 PM   #1512
steve68steve
Banned
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 594
My MSF class taught us to "NEVER use brakes when leaned over at speed. If a corner tightens up or you're going too fast, lean more."

I took away that braking in a turn = "automatic crash" instead of somewhere between "no big deal" and "saved my bacon."

Seriously - noob me probably would've slammed into an obstacle rather than brake. WTF they teach that, I have no idea.
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:49 PM   #1513
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N
 
catweasel67's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Vienna, Austria
Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
My MSF class taught us to "NEVER use brakes when leaned over at speed. If a corner tightens up or you're going too fast, lean more."

I took away that braking in a turn = "automatic crash" instead of somewhere between "no big deal" and "saved my bacon."

Seriously - noob me probably would've slammed into an obstacle rather than brake. WTF they teach that, I have no idea.
I'd not use the brakes whilst leaned over, or, if I did, it'd be a measure of last resort. Far better to straight up, reduce the lean angle, and them slam on the brakes.

But using them, in anger, in a tight bend, is gonna end in a high-side 9 times outta 10.

Slow in, constant to the apex, accelerate out. To a noob I'd say that "slow in" is probably slower than you think. Corners are a thing you want to get right, first time, every time and each one is good practice for the next.
__________________
Planning NA 2010 NA 2010
Adriatic Loop August 09 Mandello Guzzi Protest Sept 09
"I've got the key to the gates of paradise...but I've got too many legs!!" Jeff
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #1514
steve68steve
Banned
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
I'd not use the brakes whilst leaned over, or, if I did, it'd be a measure of last resort. Far better to straight up, reduce the lean angle, and them slam on the brakes.

But using them, in anger, in a tight bend, is gonna end in a high-side 9 times outta 10.
You make my point for me.

Altho it sounds like you're talking about emergency braking... I'm talking about scrubbing some speed while leaned by applying brakes. This was taught as a giant 'no-no' in my MSF class, regardless of how much traction is available.
steve68steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:37 PM   #1515
tapdiggy
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tapdiggy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68steve View Post
You make my point for me.

Altho it sounds like you're talking about emergency braking... I'm talking about scrubbing some speed while leaned by applying brakes. This was taught as a giant 'no-no' in my MSF class, regardless of how much traction is available.
The way I am reading this, both posts are referring to bottoming the front brake lever to the bar and stomping the rear brake pedal as far as it will go (as might be done in an emergency) while in a turn. That specification is important. It needs to be differentiated from applying some braking force to facilitate or modulate traction in a turn. Trail braking falls under this heading*.




*I wonder as I type this, 'will anyone argue that trail-braking is not a thing outside of a track setting?' It wouldn't be my first time encountering such refutations.
__________________
My riding shoes are Adidas. Boom
tapdiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014