Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #361
Trane Francks
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
This thread is one of the main reasons I now keep my SPOT on me instead of in my rear bag. I had to use it a couple of weeks ago - all I had to do was reach up to my shoulder and push the button. This lesson was really emphasized as I lay listening to my cell phone ringing - from the bike bag I couldn't get to.

I'm glad people post these experiences - really helps decrease the learning curve.
Thanks for sharing this, too. All this helps to put everything into perspective.
Trane Francks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #362
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
Laughter has many flavors. Recognition - that could be me. Empathy - similar happened to me. Survival - it didn't kill you, or me. Defiance - it won't happen, or stop me. Stress - this is so serious I have to laugh. I think there's a lot of nervous laughing, very little mocking laughter about something like this. When someone belittles or mocks, it tells about them, not what they laugh about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I don't think people are laughing at the crash, I think they're laughing at the stuff I say after I get up; which even I think is amusing even if I don't recall saying it. They may even have already read more of the thread and know that I am fine, and that frees them to have less serious thoughts on subsequent viewings.

Anyway, I have felt that the posts on ADVrider (at least in this thread) have been very respectful. I have even been pleasantly surprised by the support and civility of the comments on YouTube.
psmcd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 AM   #363
delta21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
So glad you are ok! I want to add a few comments about SPOT and the lack of a helicopter.
First; SPOT works, but it has also been grossly abused by many not understanding or not caring what happens when the panic button is pressed. True story, SPOT was activated because the individual was going to be late for a meeting well he made the meeting with the sheriff! Also there are far more False activations than true emergencies so there is a "little boy cried wolf" with some SAR agencies.

This crash definitely warrants a helicopter ride. Although you're probably looking at 10-15k yes your life and limbs are worth that. You don't need first responders on scene or a "safe LZ" as some said, if you're flying air-medical, you have landed a helicopter before and don't need someone on the ground telling you when your skids touch down. But that also depends on the relationship between the local fire/ems and the sheriff. That said not all air-medical groups are the same. But it is safe to say that if you are flying in Southern UT than you do remote back country scene work.
delta21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #364
theofam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Joe, I just found this thread after reading a recent post of yours and ER70S' in the DR650 thread. Man, am I glad you're alright! I watched the crash portion twice, but I couldn't bring myself to do it a third time (gotta keep positive thoughts in my head).

I sincerely thank you for posting this. It's made me think, "what if?" Some folks brought up good points about keeping the controls covered, but my natural reaction at a low speed, falling to a side, is always to steer into it and gas it to stand the bike back up (think about motorcycle cops when they're navigating tight turns). I now realize, in tight terrain (and where the world decides to fall away 12+ feet), is to just drop the bike! Easier said than done, I know, because all too often our motorcycle brain wants us to stay upright. But, if it happens, I think I'm better prepared thanks to your experience.

Although I hope I'll never have to use it, it's also good to know the SPOT's 911 button works as advertised.

Take care, and I hope you're well!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #365
FongMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Getting a Spot!!
FongMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #366
Keyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
On the DR650, once the tail end gains momentum in any direction other than the one intended, you're finished, the bike is going down. Too much weight and too much torque on those things to the point where the tire looses traction very easily.. not a good weight:torque ratio, especially for the type of terrain you were riding.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:25 AM   #367
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by FongMan View Post
Getting a Spot!!
I'm leaning in that direction as well.
NERVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:51 AM   #368
1stgenfarmboy
The Sherpa Man

Oddometer: 691
Joe.....It doesn't matter how long you have ridden, or how "good" you are, when you ride in terrain like the western TAT there is great potential for a fall, we can look back and say ( cover the clutch) ( cover the breaks) ( slow down) ( you need more experience ), but when it's all said and done if you ride much off road you will fall sometime.

it was just a bad place to fall in this case.

I have ridden dual sport for 35 years and I have taken some falls in a simple loose rock or slick rock section......it happens.

just glad you didn't do any damage that would keep you from doing what you love to do.
1stgenfarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #369
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by FongMan View Post
Getting a Spot!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVE View Post
I'm leaning in that direction as well.

If you do get one, wear it on your person. Not with the bike. Second, once you hit the "Oh Shit" button, do not move the spot. The spot system will see you moving and assume it was an inadvertant hit.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #370
imcja
b00b

Oddometer: 45
Thrown forward...foot of the left peg...

First off...glad you were not seriously injured and have shared your experience. SPOT purchase in my future.

Edited...remind me not to try and theorize...I fail!

I found this looking thru the new posts today...only recently joined the ADVr forum. An observation I noted while watching the video and subsequent theory...take it with a grain of salt. And something I've experienced, and been fortunate to have some not-so unforgiving terrain to recover in.

It appears to me you were rodeo'd forward (probably not off the peg/s) onto your tankbag at 5:07. The front wheel came back down after hitting the first step and cased into the next one. Watching your video up to that point there were only a couple occasions where we got a view of the front fender (sat down or looked down), and not so much of it. Feet or just the right foot came of the pegs...note shadow of the fender not right foot in image below (yes that is the fender...how the hell could a foot cast a shadow in the opposite direction of the sun). For the next couple of seconds you were along for the ride and didn't have enough runoff to fully regain control. You were trying to...just shit-luck it happened where it did.

photo footshadow.jpg

imcja screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 02:26 PM
imcja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #371
joefromsf OP
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcja View Post
It appears to me you were rodeo'd forward off the peg/s onto your tankbag at 5:07. The front wheel came back down after hitting the first step and cased into the next one. Watching your video up to that point there were only a couple occasions where we got a view of the front fender (sat down or looked down), and not so much of it. Feet or just the right foot came of the pegs...note shadow of left foot in image below. For the next couple of seconds you were along for the ride and didn't have enough runoff to fully regain control. You were trying to...just shit-luck it happened where it did.

Sorry, I don't see any foot shadows. Just the front wheel and fender.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #372
imcja
b00b

Oddometer: 45
Duh! I'm stupid. I'll go back to being a n00b now...

imcja screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 02:19 PM
imcja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:16 PM   #373
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcja View Post
Duh! I'm stupid. Let me edit that...sorry.
No need! You got the OP out of lurk mode, well done

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #374
SGBoy
New Guy

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic Semper Tyrannis View Post
WOW...that gave me chills going over the edge like that...BRUTAL!!!!!

Glad you made it!!!!!!
I agree. Watching the video made a little sick to my stomach.
SGBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #375
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Well I definitely missed this. In retrospect, I'm rather glad to see you getting up to hijinx a few weekends back.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote