User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 04:14 PM   #1
Mike D OP
Corporate Cog

Oddometer: 1,316
Not Another Oil Thread!!!!!!

Yup, another one. This question has been addressed a thousand times here, but of course I can't turn up anything and the search function isn't helping. My apologies.

2008 GG 280 Pro. Shifts like crap, especially down. I've been running ATF Type F exclusively for 2.5 years. I love the clutch feel, but the shifting sucks.

Recommendations?
"There are dreams of love, life, and adventure in all of us. But we are also sadly filled with reasons why we shouldn't try. These reasons seem to protect us, but in truth they imprison us. They hold life at a distance. Life will be over sooner than we think. If we have bikes to ride and people to love, now is the time." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (1926-2004)

Help keep our trails open; join COHVCO
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 849
Have you opened it up and corrected your eccentric adjust?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=908359
jonnyc21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 AM   #3
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 1,018
Yeah thanks. That's my thread. It's not an oil issue. Adjusting the spring centering cam correctly will make a very real difference in the quality of shifting. My downshifts were really balky, especially when slowing from the loop to a section. Now that bike (grey case below) has shifted very smoothly since the adjustment.

The adjuster is simply an eccentric cylinder fixed to the case with a cap screw. I had to bias the adjuster as far as it would go.Here is a pic of the eccentric. Hopefully yours will have more range of adjustment:

motobene screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 07:30 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
Mike D OP
Corporate Cog

Oddometer: 1,316
I tried to do that earlier, but wasn't able to remove the clutch basket. Yes, I removed the center bolt (the one with the hole in it). I tried prying it out with screwdrivers (as Jim Snell demonstrated in his videos), but I couldn't get it to budge. I guess I'll have to try harder.
"There are dreams of love, life, and adventure in all of us. But we are also sadly filled with reasons why we shouldn't try. These reasons seem to protect us, but in truth they imprison us. They hold life at a distance. Life will be over sooner than we think. If we have bikes to ride and people to love, now is the time." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross (1926-2004)

Help keep our trails open; join COHVCO
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
I tried to do that earlier, but wasn't able to remove the clutch basket. Yes, I removed the center bolt (the one with the hole in it). I tried prying it out with screwdrivers (as Jim Snell demonstrated in his videos), but I couldn't get it to budge. I guess I'll have to try harder.
Damned things bottom on the splines and get stuck. I believe they very precisely machine the splines that way so there isn't slop that could loosen the 5mm retention screw.

I hate prying with a screwdriver against the case. Friend of mine says yeah just be patient and it'll come free with some working at it. Snell uses one of those flat small nail claws, and slips it under the primary gear on the basket so he can pry up.

I've got one stuck stubborn one now. I'll look for the little flat-type nail claw to avoid levering off the gasket surface of the case. I could also fab an adapter plate for two of the 12-point, 8mm clutch screws so I can use my slide hammer.

motobene screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 09:54 AM
Old 04-15-2014, 07:59 AM   #6
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oh and one more thing. What gets those clutches off when prying is subtle rockering. Raise one side, then the other, back and forth. Don't just pry on one side. You probably knew this already....