Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
I hit one last year. It was a fairing hit and caused about $500 in damage. Three buzzards at dinner in the right lane. I decided to pass wide in the left lane. Two of the buzzards took off in a climbing right turn. The third made a climbing left turn and hit me solidly.

I learned that they are slow to flight and stupid and can't be counted on to make sensible decisions. I also determined that my trying to pass them wide at road speed was not a sensible decision either. I give them more room now.

Very sorry for the loss.
beemerphile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #17
Taurkon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
RIP to your friend's brother. Very sad and definitely highlights the risks of riding that we cannot compensate for, yet accept each time we click into 1st.

I hit a Canadian Goose a few years back. It launched it's self from the ditch, I tried ducking, and it bounced off the top of my helmet. It hit the road, I was fine, but boy the neck was sore for a few days.

2007 KTM 300 XCW

Taurkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #18
Mottorrad Brian
Everyone's n00b

Oddometer: 29

Mottorrad Brian screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 08:39 PM
Mottorrad Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #19
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,811
I took a buzzard in a glancing blow off the left shoulder and side of the helmet a few years back on my DR650. I had ducked and moved to the right, otherwise it would have been a square blow at 45-50 MPH. Scared the hell out of me. The buzzard stank like a combination of rot and ammonia.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
I took a buzzard in a glancing blow off the left shoulder and side of the helmet a few years back on my DR650. I had ducked and moved to the right, otherwise it would have been a square blow at 45-50 MPH. Scared the hell out of me. The buzzard stank like a combination of rot and ammonia.
Yes they STINK, and there vomit will make you do the same. I knew a guy who hit a buzzard with his truck and it came around into his open window and commenced to puking all over him and the inside of his vehicle. They will attack you if wounded and you approach them, I grew up on a ranch in Texas Hill Country so buzzards were always eating on something, and we enjoyed tormenting them. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:20 PM   #21
Wyodrill
Deer Slayer 800

Oddometer: 33
Sad story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
The brother of a friend was killed yesterday by a buzzard, I haven't got all the details yet but seems Buzzard flew into him while in a turn and he lost control. I do not know what he was wearing or what he was riding at this time. Strange thing is I have been hit by Buzzards several times in my riding career and never thought much about it until now. Out here in West Texas HWY 90 is littered with road kill, so Buzzards are an every day occurrence. Lets be careful out there!!!! D.
Really sorry to hear this story. I was riding out to Daytona a few weeks ago and the Buzzards were everywhere. I thought I was going to have a bird strike one time. He jumped up in front of me off the road just as I came by. Luckily the wind from my windshield blew him up the few extra inches to clear my head. I had already flinched and was braced for impact! To my surprise he just blew right over me.

Lucked up for once.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #22
Pansy
Not much of an Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,865
My sympathies to the fallen rider's family & friends.

I know how large those birds are close up, scary! I barely ducked hitting one a year ago in the Texas Hill Country... nasty thing had been chowing down on skunk.
Pansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #23
_Davi_
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I took a pigeon in a half-open helmet getting on a highway in Italy last year.... Only had it up to 70 kph or so but damn that hurt! Can't imagine much larger without doing some damage.... Sorry for your loss.
1977 VW Westy camper bus
1976 feet (no titanium yet!)
_Davi_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #24
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,515
I took a robin to the leg, beak made one heck of a puncture wound. Took a night hawk glancing blow to the helmet years ago, that one was close to a wreck, neck hurt for weeks. I got hit by turkey wing tip on my bicycle helmet. Made me wobble. No way would I have wanted that on the motorcycle.

There are many hazards other than the loose nut behind the handlebars. That one is bad enough.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM   #25
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,757
Not a bike, but here is the carnage a few years ago when one of my ex-wife's co-workers hit a turkey on I-75 in GA. The driver was uninjured, but it looks like it could have been bad.

mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:00 AM   #26
Paulie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurkon View Post
RIP to your friend's brother. Very sad and definitely highlights the risks of riding that we cannot compensate for, yet accept each time we click into 1st....
+1. I've been lucky with the vultures / buzzards / etc. Usually slow down a bit & mash my horn button x-x-x-x. Another excuse for a good LOUD horn.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #27
DSTEVENS OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Amazing picture of damaged van! I rode my bike for first time in 7 months last week, and guess what flew right over my head? A Turkey!!!! Wife and I hit a Buzzard couple weeks ago with school Suburban, wadded it up in front end replacement bumper. What was that old series on TV years ago where guy said to the patrol cops, ''OK PEOPLE LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE'' or something like that. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:55 AM   #28
rico2072
Gnarly Adventurer

R.I.P. rider.
I installed a very small and loud air horn on my bike, which I use frequently. Works on cagers too.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:37 PM   #29
LongRifle
n00b

Oddometer: 1
This type of thing worries me almost as much as cagers. Some animal darting out of nowhere. I am VERY sorry to read this post. I am sorry to read most posts on Face Plant, but it is good information to have.

Since others are offering experiences, I have taken 2 small birds. One to the helmet, and one the arm. Tiny, so no big deal.

The one that is so hard to believe is that I was hit by a carp (or carp-like) fish one day riding in the Mackay island area of NC. Really big fish. Hit me in the right foot and it was like someone hit me with a padded but heavy baseball bat on that top of the foot. The only plausible explanation is that an osprey was carrying the fish and dropped it. If that had hit me in the chest it would have been serious.

Keep safe everyone.....
LongRifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #30
LordSmoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
So very sorry to hear this.

"Buzzards", or, technically, "Turkey Vultures" (Cathartes aura), are the most ever present and real danger on most of my rides. They are big, they are plentiful, and they sit in the road until the last minute before taking whatever random action their little brains decide. Always assume the worst with vultures.

...and yes, they will "lighten their load" in a most unpleasant way at the most inopportune time.
2014 BMW R1200GSW
LordSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote