MartinPetren
Swedish Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
Some bicycle trials I did today!
Old 04-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #560
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,187
since bitten by the trials bug i've been trying to apply the trials techniques to the dirt bike... i have discovered that trying to rear wheel hop an FE570 is possible but scary!

along with all the how to ride trials vids here we thought we'd start up a series on cross training - applying trials skills to enduro riding. i thought some of you guys might be interested since i know many of us have both types of bikes. here is the first video.

B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #561
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I haven't been on my enduro since January when I picked up my Evo. The Evo is such a difference from my 11husqWR167 that I really don't see being interested in enduros again, which is kinda unbelievable for me because for about 44yrs I have rode little else.
I expect that when I do hop back on the Husky, there will be a marked improvement on balance. Since I ride 'on the slope' most of the time, the height of the Husq has been an issue with 'off cambers' resulting in a broke leg in Nov.
I have yet to feel uncomfortable on the Beta.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:50 PM   #562
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
B1, you just made my day. Big time.
I'm trying to get a trials bike sorted so my G/F and I can improve our dirt skills. Exactly the points covered in your vid.
She is not of an appropriate stature to cut loose on her trailie, it does not inspire confidence for her learning anything which may require a dab & is terrified of scratching her pride & joy (so am I!). But. Those skills translate to trails, gravel & tar seal. It's good to have the full range of skills on a bike IMHO. You never know when your body has to move faster than your thoughts.
Cheers!
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #563
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
B1, you just made my day. Big time.
I'm trying to get a trials bike sorted so my G/F and I can improve our dirt skills. Exactly the points covered in your vid.
She is not of an appropriate stature to cut loose on her trailie, it does not inspire confidence for her learning anything which may require a dab & is terrified of scratching her pride & joy (so am I!). But. Those skills translate to trails, gravel & tar seal. It's good to have the full range of skills on a bike IMHO. You never know when your body has to move faster than your thoughts.
Cheers!
no problems! i'll be posting the first vid about balancing in a few days time. it's great to see the girls riding in our club, they have a ball. i'm sure your girlfriend will too.

just spotted the first decent video to come out of the world trials competition held last weekend here in australia. some very serious talent with raga, bou and the usual suspects...

Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 AM   #564
Harvey Krumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 887
I had a squizz at that on another thread + all the FIM X Trial releases.

Those rocks are far more intimidating than what I have seen in an arena.

Your right about the ladies. My G/F is a bike n00b, all of 2 years experience. Like a sponge, though, she loves to learn & loves to ride. Constantly prattles on about learning wheelies & stoppies & power slides & such stuff for some reason. Might even have a secret fancy for Tony Bou. Keep catching her watching his vids. She's watched all your vids now, B1.

I pretend to tut tut & harumph but am secretly over the moon. She hit the half century last year. Go girl!!! My best mate.
Harvey Krumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #565
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,171
Right on target B1!
I got into trials a few years back to get better on my dirt bikes.......and it has worked!
Our club recently had a "fun day trials" where you could ride any bike. I rode my KTM 300 and had a blast.
I just wish more people would get it. I still hear things like "a trials bike could make this" but they don't understand that it's the trials rider (who has painfully worked on developing the skills) and not just another rider on a trials bike.

Your videos just keep getting better!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:09 PM   #566
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Krumpet View Post
Your right about the ladies. My G/F is a bike n00b, all of 2 years experience. Like a sponge, though, she loves to learn & loves to ride.... I pretend to tut tut & harumph but am secretly over the moon. She hit the half century last year. Go girl!!! My best mate.
damn, you should be over the moon, she's a keeper! i have huge respect for all the girls i ride with and it's great when they ride through a technical section on their dirt bikes then ask a guy who is stuck if he needs a hand. it was great seeing melissa train for the finke desert race (vid here) and she got the hole shot at the start and led the boys in her group out of the mx track at the start. i'm trying to convince all of them to get trials bikes at the moment...

it's a bit off topic but a good mate of mine did a compilation vid of the girls in our dirt riding group which your girlfriend might like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Right on target B1! ... Our club recently had a "fun day trials" where you could ride any bike. I rode my KTM 300 and had a blast.
that would be great, how did you do the tight corners? pivot turns? had a quick ride of a 300 last week and was surprised that it's possible to rear wheel hop them, at least on a downhill slope. i've seen jarvis do it in his spanish training vid so knew it was technically possible..

I'm keen to get the FE570 out to our club's main property and try some of the clubman sections with the cross training techniques we are learning. i was trying pivot turns over a big wet log on the berg yesterday and making a mess of it. thankfully i've got our 15 y.o. endurocross guy to film instead. final filming of him is tomorrow so should start posting the first of the cross training videos here this weekend.

apologies to all if i'm getting slightly off topic in this thread. as you were....

vids from an interclub competition over easter....

B1 screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 02:15 PM
Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #567
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,050
How to properly load your trials bike into your truck...

'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:44 AM   #568
slicktop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
How to properly load your trials bike into your truck...

I've done that before, except it was a front flip and I didn't stick the landing.
slicktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:08 AM   #569
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

one of our B grade juniors borrowed a twin shock to see if he'd like to ditch his modern sherco for something older.

surprised at how he could still manage some of the advanced moves i didn't think were possible on the older beasts...

Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 AM   #570
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 4,050
Very cool! That guy is good.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote