Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #31
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm View Post
Is it safe to burn out an aluminium muffler box?

It did it on a TY250 mono pipe and it does make a very stinky mess.
"Safe" always depends on the 'loose nut behind the wheel.' Any tool or technique can be damaging. That's why I put in caveats when I present one.

The technique works, but does has some risky of suddenly melting the perforated sheet if you are not quite good at monitoring pulses of heat buildup. Especially with aluminum, because aluminum will just suddenly give way without much warning. Aluminum melts at around 1220 F and steel is more than 2X at 2700 F.

And oil soaked mufflers are louder and reduce performance a bit by lowering the resonating volume.
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:44 PM   #32
usedtoride
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Bluhduh u have my old bike

[QUOTE=j__h;21922549]The bike has now been bought, oh and it is actually a 2006. I am not going to be doing any Expert riding almost surely and even if so it would likely be time for a new bike anyways. I am new to trials but not new to technical trail riding but I have to unlearn a good bit of bad habits picked up from that (a riding buddy does lots of trials and he graciously allowed me to try out his bike).

Here are some pics of the bike:

I orig bought new from mike at tryals shop, lost it from cheating ex wife in divorce, did you get orig fenders, bought new 07's and boxed up the orig's, exellent bike, wish I still had, hope it is good for you as it was for me.
usedtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM   #33
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 813
This is how to buy a used trials bike. Find one like this one!
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #34
j__h OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtoride View Post
u have my old bike
I orig bought new from mike at tryals shop, lost it from cheating ex wife in divorce, did you get orig fenders, bought new 07's and boxed up the orig's, exellent bike, wish I still had, hope it is good for you as it was for me.
Yes, it appears I do have your old bike. Your story matches what I heard from the person I bought it from (minus the cheating part but that would be expected to have been left out given who it was purchased from). Also, yes the extra fenders were included.

As for the bike, yes it has been treating me well. Having quite a bit of fun on it and am considering doing some local events.

I assume you were able to determine it was your old bike from the fork guards and nylon fender bolt?
j__h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:38 PM   #35
usedtoride
n00b

Oddometer: 2
old bike

well the shift lever(blue in scorpa), clear tail lamp lens plus other stuff, did it come with fan hard wired? I recd the switch after she got the house, still have the extra air filter and hex for the frt axle, hope to get montesa (nonrepsol) if they import into us again, oh well win some you lose some, good luck dude.
usedtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:48 PM   #36
j__h OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtoride View Post
did it come with fan hard wired? I recd the switch after she got the house, still have the extra air filter and hex for the frt axle, hope to get montesa (nonrepsol) if they import into us again, oh well win some you lose some, good luck dude.
Fan was hardwired but I purchased a new thermostat and have it installed (guy I bought it from did not mention that in his ad), fan works as it should now. Bought two new air filters, the hex key for the front axle, and some other spares also. Thanks, hope you can find an even better bike soon!
j__h is offline   Reply With Quote