User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #1
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 836
Absolutely Stunning New Event Area!

This last weekend's Texas panhandle Comanche Cup event was at Sid Maudlin's 12,000-acre Palo Duro canyon-area ranch. Sid's wonderful 'barn' sits near canyon's edge. 'The Bottom', as they called it, is some 900 feet below! The Texas panhandle certainly isn't all flat and I-40.

Ray and Laura Peters worked extremely hard to put on a great event in virgin territory. They were very wise in section design, and always mentoring, helping. The CTTA club in Texas provided materials and some volunteer help. Thank you Ray, Laura, and the few volunteers that made this happen! And thank you Sid for being such a kind host. They expressed big plans for the place, from preservation efforts to nationals.

Those of us who attended the event can say for sure: Stunning, spectacular! One could put on a full event in one of the countless folds of this property! As a ranch owner, it was humbling and wonderful to see and experience a ranch of this scale only 4 hours from where I live.

I had a fantastic time! Absolutely loved my bike and got my recently battered mojo back. Managed 2nd Saturday and 1st Sunday Senior Expert. Sometimes things click instead of clunk with the old gimpy body and flaky brain

I really enjoyed the fellowship with my trials friends from Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Mexico, and elsewhere. Had the usual good times with the New Mexico folks. 'Gordy' and Deb and Jake were very gracious to KrAzy and me, letting us park next to and store stuff by their camper. KraZy and I stayed overnights in motel 30 minutes away in Claude. Lots of warm conversations. Enjoyed too the 'cookie party' and stories in the Hassler RV.

Great comraderie with my competitor friends and many hours of riding in eye-popping vistas, amazing terrain, and the up-to-8-mile roller coaster loop.

It was at times very windy, but the weather timing was fortunate for the volatile time of spring. Sunscreen hot on Saturday, warm on Sunday. The plunge in temps to the forecast snow didn't start until after we finished.

Keep a watch out for future events here, as this is a prime venue and an exclusive experience.

I didn't take many pix so please add more. Had no camera when Ray was test riding stuff or during afternoon competition, only checking and at camp. I missed taking photos in some of the really stunning section areas. Not too many places where the immediate backdrop for your line is a bunch of big hoodoos.

And I was happy my new mascot Void Head (cause I ride that way sometimes) survived still glued to the fender. Here he is over looking the challenging PM Section 6 Saturday far below (see the white tape).

motobene screwed with this post 04-14-2014 at 08:38 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,676
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
brewtus
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,722
+1.

Nice knees, Gordy!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
+1.

Nice knees, Gordy!
Thanks for noticing. I'm trying.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
Gordy
Team Listo

As Chris has said, if you missed this event, you missed a great one!

The sections were set appropriately with nothng too dangerous but challenging.
The conditions were dry and loose. Where you thought that there should be traction, there was none. Where you thought it would be bad, there was plenty. I fought with this both days, but it taught me a lot.

I had a great time with new friends and the Texas Club really is first class and very organized.

CrazyOSUCowboy

Motobene

We out riding the loop on Friday with Ray checking his sections one last time.

He casually just rode up to this and went up. Hmmmm.

This is the same up with Rachel sizing it up during the event.

Respect for both.

Some of the 8 mile loop.

My hang out for the slow times while scoring on Sat morning.

This was at section 3. 4-10 were mostly down in that canyon. The loop went around in there and out the far side.

There was some of this too.

I heard it was cold in Colorado.

Sid is making this a trials destination and wants it to develop into a trials training center for the west.

I'll be back!!!!

Gordy screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 03:27 PM
Old 04-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
grizzzly
The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer: 3,170
looks like a cool area wish i could of made it

grizzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:08 PM   #7
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,146
http://ntxtrials.com/wordpress/results/
Looks like National material next year!
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #8
motobene OP
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 836
Oh yeah! Thanks Gordy. Your pix round things up nicely. Man the potential there is huge. A peek deeper into every nook showed massive this and that.

That Section 6, the one where Rachel was staring at the wall with Paul, was one of our more intimidating sections. Our line didn't have quite that high of step, but still, there was a lot of protracted study. That hillside above it was truly hard to walk on when looking the section over. But like Gordy said, it was a curious mix of sticky where you thought it might not be, then slick where you thought it would not be.

And that loop! There were some steep downhill runs in deep grey talcum-like powder, at times up to the axles, with stealth shrunken baby heads rolling under the tires. The lower class riders surviving these parts of the loop without reported 'face-fives' was probably just pure pucker power.

There was a comment from Ray about maybe another event there this fall.

motobene screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 08:02 AM
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
Gordy
Team Listo

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobene View Post
Your pix round thing up nicely. Man the potential there is huge. A peek deeper into every nook showed massive this and that.

There was not much time to sight see on the loop, but you are right, there are some amazing cuts and slices in the earth just off the loop that a guy could spend a day or two in.

Supposedly, they are going to cut in some single track off the main loop road that will be used for future loop and maybe a national enduro.

BTW, Nice riding! You killed us!!