Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 08:41 AM   #16
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
it was at the same point in my son's life that he and I did our first "tour", although we had done some overnights to Mid-Ohio when he was younger, those where only 2-3 hour rides. The "tour" the summer he graduated from HS and turned 18 was much longer, and it also included spending some time riding Deal's Gap and roads around there. I still have a picture of him going through there hanging in the workshop. Since he is away in the USAF, we don't get to spend much time riding together anymore, but still look forward to the times we can. Glad you enjoyed your trip and hope you get to take many many more together.
patmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 AM   #17
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolranch View Post
I clicked on your signature and your story is great! I hope to have a similar experience with my son as he grows older. He is only 5 now.
It was a great time and well worth the wait! I became a grandfather a few weeks ago. The first time I got a chance to meet him, I asked my daughter and son-in-law for permission to teach him how to ride when he gets older and they said yes. The eighteen year clock begins ticking again.

Numa

Check out -- Eighteen Years in the Making

Maps can only lead to conjecture, whereas proof is born in the ride.
BluRidgeRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
cyberdos
True Story Bro

Oddometer: 22,865
Beautiful stuff, Grandpa.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:33 AM   #19
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
... Since he is away in the USAF, we don't get to spend much time riding together anymore, but still look forward to the times we can....
Please pass along my thanks to your son for his service to our country. Our service men and women make possible our freedom to move about on two wheels at our leisure. That should not be taken for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmo View Post
....Glad you enjoyed your trip and hope you get to take many many more together.
I am starting to shop for a second motorcycle -- most probably a KLR 650 -- so that we can take another trip this summer. I hope that both of us are able have many more two-wheeled adventures with our respective sons.

Numa

Old 06-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #20
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

Year 2 - Prologue

It's coming up on one year since my son and I took our first overnight motorcycle trip together. We were discussing possible dates for a trip for this summer and I decided it was time to start shopping for a second bike.

Last December, a guy who lives near me -- one who did not yet ride motorcycles -- on advice from a friend, bought a new 2013 KLR 650. Because he didn't have his license, he asked the dealer to deliver it to his house where he put it in his garage. He waited until May 2014 to take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation New Rider Course and then decided the KLR sat too high for him. Without having ever ridden it, he went to another dealer and traded the KLR in on a bike that sat lower. The second dealer picked it up on a trailer and, when he rolled it onto his showroom floor, the odometer turned to 3.0 miles.

I was lucky enough to stumble upon it shortly thereafter and I purchased it for $4,500.00 with only 3 miles on the odometer and a factory warranty that's still in place until December 2014. Numa Jr. was here in NC with me when I found this great deal. I bought it on the spot and let Numa Jr. take my V-Strom back with him to Maryland so he can keep his skills up in preparation for our upcoming August ride. Before he left, we purchased him a new Shoei helmet and Frogg Toggs rain suit.

Here is Numa Jr. standing with both bikes as he is headed back to Maryland. I rode with him to Asheboro where we had lunch before he started his solo ride north back to Maryland.

We have decided on a mid-August three-day weekend for our next trip in the mountains. This year's ride will feature some off road -- dirt and gravel fire roads -- so that Numa Jr. can continue expanding his riding skills and see some of the great views from these remote spots.

In the mean time, I will be posting my progress as I work to set up my new KLR and I will also let you know some about my riding experiences in the past.

Numa

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 07-05-2014 at 06:56 AM
Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #21
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

It's still a work in progress, but I am making some headway in getting my new KLR setup properly.

SW-Motech foot pegs offer a wider platform front-to-back than the stock pegs.

Remove one bolt...

...and they become better off road pegs.

A KoubaLink lowering link helps make sure I can reach the ground on uneven surfaces.

Slid the forks up an inch in the triple trees and added bar risers to make it more comfortable when standing. The stock side stand has been replaced with a SW-Motech one inch shortened stand to keep it leaning at the correct angle when I'm off the bike.

An SW-Motech rear rack insert gives me more lash down points and provides me with the hardware necessary to add a top case later if I decide to do so.

The internals feature a newly installed Doohickey kit and the outside is now protected by SW-Motech crash bars.

A black aluminum skid plate is on order as are beefed-up Race Tech springs for the forks and rear shock. I have pretty much decided to go with Pelican Storm-based Caribou 35 liter side cases and will most probably swap the stock seat for a Sargent saddle.

Numa

Old 06-29-2014, 08:46 PM   #22
pike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Nice KLR
Old 06-29-2014, 10:34 PM   #23
longrides1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Great story! My son is taking the motorcycle safety course next month, he doesn't even ride two up any more says he can't stand
not being the driver.

What did you think of the Versys?
2008 Versys With The Sons Permission

longrides1 screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 01:49 PM
longrides1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:59 AM   #24
parallaxbill
Old dude, new rider.

Oddometer: 159
Numa, maybe sometime soon we can do a father/son ride or even a camping ride with our sons. I think it would be fun.
parallaxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #25
FotoTEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,656
A father son ride is a true gift. My father taught us how to ride at a young age but unfortunately, he is gone. I will never have the experience you had. Enjoy every moment as one day you wake up and they are gone... Forever.
FotoTEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #26
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pike View Post
Nice KLR
Thanks! I'm very happy with the way it's turning out. Yesterday, I placed an order for Caribou Pelican Storm-based 35 liter side cases and installed a Wolfman Small Expedition waterproof tank bag. Early this morning, I placed an order for a Touratech headlight guard and Kaoko throttle lock.

Numa

Old 06-30-2014, 06:11 PM   #27
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrides1 View Post
Great story! My son is taking the motorcycle safety course next month, he doesn't even ride two up any more says he ant stand not being the driver.

What did you think of the Versys?
The Versys I rode last year was rented from Carolina Adventure Cycles. They have since discontinued their rental program.

I'm not that crazy about the looks of the Versys or the Kawasaki green color (both personal preferences), but I enjoyed riding the bike. It was very similar in handling, comfort and performance to my V-Strom. The two bikes were very evenly matched. Even though we spent all of our time on Tarmac, I'm guessing the Versys would also work well on dirt and fire roads. One limitation might be tire selection as it has a smaller front wheel than the V-Strom. One of the things I liked about the V-Strom when I bought it was that it had the same size wheels as the BMW R-GS that I had previously owned. I knew there would be a very good selection of tires available for the Strom.

Numa

Old 06-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #28
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallaxbill View Post
Numa, maybe sometime soon we can do a father/son ride or even a camping ride with our sons. I think it would be fun.
I would love to schedule a time to make that happen. With Numa Jr. living in Maryland year round, we'll have to schedule a time. Maybe we can make that happen this fall during a time when he has a break from classes.

Numa

Old 06-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #29
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
A father son ride is a true gift. My father taught us how to ride at a young age but unfortunately, he is gone. I will never have the experience you had. Enjoy every moment as one day you wake up and they are gone... Forever.
I lost my father in December of 2000 and think about him every day. He was a wonderful man and a great father!

I decided I would be a motorcyclist when I was just six years old. I was playing in my front yard with my brother when my father arrived home from work just in time for dinner. He was riding a friend's Electra Glide and I knew right then and there that I would own a motorcycle as soon as I could convince my parents. (It took me until 1965 and ten years of age before I got my first motorcycle -- a Honda P-50A.)

I am trying to make sure that I get as much time riding with my son as is possible given our geographic separation. That's what spurred me to go ahead and purchase a second motorcycle.

Numa

Old 07-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #30
BluRidgeRider OP
Long Rider

My second childhood motorcycle was a Honda Mini-Trail 50 and I thought I had just become the owner of the coolest motorcycle on the planet. My brother and my buddy that lived next door were my constant riding companions. We all graduated from Honda P-50As to Mini-Trails at the same time. Each time we got a new motorcycle, mine was red and my brother’s was blue. (My brother’s present mount is a blue and silver E-Glide and my V-Strom is red.)

My father was a businessman and he owned a number of retail businesses. One of them had a paved parking lot and driveway entrance from the highway, but had a long gravel driveway to a secondary road that ran parallel to the highway and behind his business. He purchased a used road grader under the guise that he needed it to keep the gravel driveway in good condition for use by his customers, but I think it was mainly because he thought the road grader was fun to operate. He used that grader to make us an oval dirt track in a nearby field and it featured a banked turn at one end. Dad taught my brother and me how to use the road grader so that we could keep the track well groomed. We spent countless hours riding that dirt track with all of our buddies.

We also began developing an ever expanding network of trails on which to ride. One trail led through a farm with a big pasture that was home to a bull. We had permission to ride through the pasture, but the owner cautioned us that the bull was mean and we would need to make sure we left the gates shut. That bull always hung out in a far corner of the pasture; in the shade under some trees.

Our drill was to approach the first gate, one rider would dismount, open the gate and the other riders would ride just into the edge of the pasture. One of those riders would dismount to close the gate as the rider who opened it entered the pasture. The whole group would haul ass across the field together – remember, we were all on 50cc Mini-Trails and other small bikes – towards the distant second gate at the other side of the pasture.

As soon as we started heading across the pasture, that bull would break into a dead run headed for the same point as us. We had to get to the far gate, get it opened, get all of the bikes out of the pasture and close the gate before the bull arrived. It was good fun and the bull never won that contest. That theme of playing 'keep away' would reoccur at a later date when we moved up to larger displacement motorcycles.

Probably my most memorable ride during the Mini-Trail era came when I was riding with a friend who wasn’t a regular member of the group. His father owned the Honda dealer where my father had bought our bikes. (Our fathers were good friends and that’s why all of my first motorcycles were Hondas.)

My buddy Andy was showing me some new trails that ran through the woods behind a big housing development. As we emerged from the woods, there was a very smooth, grass-covered hill directly in front of us. As I accelerated to climb the hill, I envisioned catching some air at the top before sticking a picture perfect landing on a flat level surface just beyond the hill. What I didn’t notice was that Andy was decelerating. I caught the air, but what lay just beyond the top of the hill was a holding pond for a sewer treatment plant.

With a big splash, the Mini-Trail and I both landed in the holding pond. As we both began to sink into the quicksand-like aromatic blend of urine and fecal matter, I looked to Andy for help. But he was lying on the hilltop laughing so hard that he couldn’t help me. Eventually, he gained his composure and helped me pull it out of that huge sewer before it was completely submerged.

My father came in his pickup truck to retrieve the bike and me, but he made me ride in the back with the bike. I washed the bike and myself using the hose in the back yard and then took several showers in-a-row to get the stink off of me. After the bike dried out, it started and ran fine until the day we traded it in on my third bike -- a new Honda Scrambler CL-100. To this date, every time I run into Andy he brings up how funny it was to watch me jump my bike into that sewer pond.

Numa

BluRidgeRider screwed with this post 07-02-2014 at 05:05 PM