Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
45grum OP
Shed Head

Oddometer: 39
Long distance Trials LDT's in the UK

New to this forum so sorry if its been done before
Over here in the Uk we have a series of events known as long distance Trials or LDT's (sometimes called "Classic relibility trials")
These are events that cater for anything from road legal trials bikes to multi cylinder sidecar outfits and cars ranging from 1920's classics to homebuilt specials (only 2 wheel drive cars allowed)
The most famous is probably the "Land's End Trial" which runs overnight over a distance of several hundred miles and including 20 or so off road observed sections.
I have never done this event as it covers a lot of road miles and I am in it predominently for the off-road aspect so I stick with the shorter 5 to 8 hour events that cover 60 to 120 miles.
Anyway the bike I use is a Gas Gas Pampera 250 which is a hybrid Trials/Enduro cross breed which has found it niche in the world of Long Distance Trials with its blend of light weight, Punchy Trials engine and enduro looks it is a great all rounder that would be perfect if it had a bigger tank (5 litres gets you about 50miles)

These events are great fun and a lot less stuffy than the club trials, here the LDT riders enjoy a good laugh and a long day in the saddle seeing some of the best scenary that the country has to offer going places that you are not normally allowed (special permission from land owners).
This is me scoring the winning 2 points at last years "Ten Tors" LDT in Devon.

and a second later bailing out for 2 points.

I managed a final score of 5 points that day which was enough to secure a win out of a field of over 150 entrants, my best result to date.
Some other good LDT's are
The Wyegate
The Jubilee
The Moor to Sea
The Sphinx
The Exmoor
Have a go if you get the chance entry usually costs about £15 and you get a good days riding for your money.
Cheers Graham.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
Brunow - 007
Bantam Fever

Oddometer: 308
Cool! Looks like a hack of fun! :-)
Got some website's with info?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,379
Interesting.
This appears to be close to what observed trials was back in the early days of the sport before tricks and stunt riding... when just getting cross country on the machines of the day was a feat!

No doubt a little more "extreme" terrain used today!
roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
Interesting.
This appears to be close to what observed trials was back in the early days of the sport before tricks and stunt riding... when just getting cross country on the machines of the day was a feat!
Indeed the Land's End Trial was first run in 1908, with an earlier similar event (still running) the Edinburgh Trial first run in 1904. Details here.

Severity varies greatly, with the overnight events being technically on the easy side, but it's too easy to make a mistake at 3 a.m.....

Lots of reports on LDTs here.

Ian640 screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 04:14 AM
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45grum
This is me scoring the winning 2 points at last years "Ten Tors" LDT in Devon.

and a second later bailing out for 2 points.

I managed a final score of 5 points that day which was enough to secure a win out of a field of over 150 entrants, my best result to date.
Hi Graham, seen you around a few times at the LDTs (I ride a red Alp).

Congratulations on the Ten Tors win. That looks like the last section, the rather unpleasant graded hillclimb. If so, it's steeper and more slippery than it looks.

Next one for me will be the Exeter trial in January, hopefully less cold than this year (ice was on both sides of my visor....). Still shiver at the thought of it....
Old 11-15-2009, 04:30 AM   #6
westy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
exeter trail

hi ian hope the exeter is a bit warmer this year,im just a allso ran but its the best fun you can have with your clothes on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HyovSxf8OU

westy screwed with this post 11-15-2009 at 04:47 AM
westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by westy
im just a allso ran
No such thing in an MCC event, anyone can win a medal, and anyone can blow it....concentration is the key.

The after the Exeter always tastes nice....see you on the hills if you're in it.

Heated gloves and maybe vest will soon be on order.

Cheers.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
45grum OP
Shed Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian640
Hi Graham, seen you around a few times at the LDTs (I ride a red Alp).

Congratulations on the Ten Tors win. That looks like the last section, the rather unpleasant graded hillclimb. If so, it's steeper and more slippery than it looks.

Next one for me will be the Exeter trial in January, hopefully less cold than this year (ice was on both sides of my visor....). Still shiver at the thought of it....
Hi Ian
Yes that's the graded climb which is usually cleaned by some of the enduro boys as it takes speed and commitment to get to the top (and I dont seem to have enough of each), say hello if you see me out and about (I will keep my eyes peeled for a red Alp, not too many about).
I am not riding the "Ten Tors" this year as it has clashed with something else (not trials related) which is a shame as it is one of my favourites.
I had another win a couple of weeks back when I was the only clean sheet in the North Devon MC "Tarka" trial.
Not sure what event is up next? I might try and get a late entry for the "Neil Westcott".
Cheers Graham.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
ferret2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Hi
these LDT sound like fun, i compete in pre 65 trials on a 64 tiger cub and also do a bit of greenlaning on a ccm 404 and bmw x challenge, is there a specific website for the LDT s, where would be the best place to find out where and when they are on, i see there are a few links been posted on here for certain events but what about the rest, i fancy having a go at one of these,
thanks

ferret
ferret2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
45grum OP
Shed Head

Try here

http://www.eventdirectory.org.uk/
Old 11-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #11
ferret2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
excellent, thanks

ferret
ferret2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #12
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Cool rig and interesting too!
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #13
John K
Ambitious but rubbish

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunow - 007
Cool! Looks like a hack of fun! :-)
Got some website's with info?
Definitely lots of fun

There doesn't tend to be much information about them on line so it's generally best to contact the organising clubs directly.

A couple of my trip reports here:

Long Distance in Wiltshire, UK
The Timber Woods Long Distance Trial, and associated tribulations

I've sold the WR, so it's just regular trials on the Beta for me now. I've actually started trying a bit harder rather than just playing - a bit of competition works wonders for keeping your feet on the pegs! Wish I had somewhere at home to practise - very jealous of everyone in the backyard thread . . .
Old 04-19-2014, 06:33 AM   #14
Bridge Club
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Land's End Trial 2014

It’s that time again and the little Harley is going to take me to Panters Bridge to photograph some motorcycles doing the Land’s End Trial.

The particular intention being waving to Spelky , snapping the MTs and any interesting Old Brits which came along, all very simple and straight forward.

Click here for a few smudges ... http://thebridgeclubfive.blogspot.co...?view=flipcard

Richard - http://thebridgeclubfive.blogspot.co.uk/
Bridge Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #15
motobene
Motoing for 43 years

Oddometer: 859
Interesting venue.

Several of us over here in the US have contemplated the trials bike-based small 'dualsports' but have yet to find a reason, a venue, to buy them. Not that they would not make a good dualsports, but we generally already have the heavier mid-size dualsports, which are pretty good for 150 miles a day
motobene is offline   Reply With Quote