Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 02:38 PM   #46
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Oddometer: 352
I welcome that kind of clutter any day of the week!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:46 AM   #47
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

My SV has gone on. I didn't get my money out of it, but she's gone to a good home and that matters.

Now I need to get back on the ZRX and figure out if it's going to stay in the stable or not. More adventures to come!
Old 04-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #48
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Country Roads, Take Me Home

Well I was raised underneath the shade of a Georgia pine
And that's home, ya know

Although I have lived most of my life in South Carolina and South Africa, I was born in Georgia and I consider it to be my heart's home. I thrive on thick summer heat and sweet tea that will make your spoon stand up in the glass.

When I was a boy my Grandpa, "Pop," (who is now passed on) used to load my brother and I into his 1985 Chevy S-10 (and later, Silverado) and cruise around North Georgia. A typical day would find us rising early, stopping at Waffle House or McDonalds for road breakfast, then poking around the shoreline of Lake Allatoona or the farm pond in Paulding County. Sometimes we would hike up Kennesaw Mountain and try to get a glimpse of the Atlanta skyline in the haze.

In the winter of 1998, when I was 11 years old, Pop took us way up into the Georgia mountains. I remember it was bitter cold for that region, so cold that water was frozen on the ground. We drove up to Carter's Lake and walked the dam, then drove to the other side of Gilmer County and visited with Pop's cousin Lynn. Lynn had bought a piece of property with one of the old Weaver home places on it and we walked up there and took a look (my great-grandmother was a Weaver).

To this day I remember that adventure, the history we saw, and the roads we drove.

I came up with a free weekend last month and decided it was time to go revisit. I looked up Lynn on the internet (we had not spoken since 1998) and introduced myself. He asked me to come by his current house in Ellijay.

Thus the adventure began.

On Friday I took my current ride, the ZRX1200, to Clemson for supper, then over the ridge to Clayton, GA. I am familiar enough with the 25 miles of asphalt between Westminster and Clayton that I was able to have some fun. The weather was good, the roads weren't crowded, and I made good time. I bedded down at the Regal Inn on 441, which is run by a sweet Indian couple. The fixtures were dated but the room was spotless and for the price was pleased.

I got up later than I intended and hit the road.

I had hoped to get breakfast at TWO, but ended up with an early lunch instead, which was fine with me.

I saddled up again and rode some gravel on the way to Lynn's house.

I was within a couple miles of my destination when I pulled off the road to take this picture:

I got back on the machine, turned the key and....nothing. My electric was completely gone. No lights, no warnings, no clicks. Nothing. I really didn't want to have to unlash my backpack and poke at the battery, but after a few minutes of fiddling with the clutch, key, and starter button, I took the backpack off and pulled the seat off.

While in the midst of my travails, a Harley Rider rode past, then turned around and stopped to check up on me. He was clearly a local boy, with groceries tucked into the front of his jacket. I told him where I was headed and why.

"So you're going over to see Lynn?"
"Yep. You know him?"
"Yeah. I think I must be kin to you."
"You a Weaver?"
"I sure am...John Weaver."
"Well I'll be damned."

For those of you who have never been to the South. There is an old joke that if you put a hundred Southerners in a room, fully half them will be related, if only by marriage. Apparently it's true....

After poking at the battery, I was able to get the machine to start.* And finished the drive to Lynn's.

Lynn was of course older than I remembered, but in good health, and runs a hobby orchard with his wife in Ellijay. After some pleasantries and small talk, we got down to some family history.

Some of it I had heard before, like how two sisters from Gilmer County (my great grandmother and her sister married two brothers from Paulding County and lived across the Pumpkinvine Creek from each other.

Some of it I hadn't --like how my great grandfather, "Blue," a devout Christian later in life, funded the purchase of a hundred acres of bottom-land with money he made making and selling moonshine to Atlantans. And how he helped run the farm across the creek as his brother succumbed to alcoholism.

And there were pictures. Some I had seen before, but many I hadn't. They were full of young, happy, good-looking people. The men standing in front of new cars, wearing suits. My great grandmother and her sisters posing in fashionable dresses in the mid-twenties.

My favorite was a picture of my Pop, taken in 1950. He appears in his Army uniform as a tall, skinny, Georgia boy, thin as a rail with ears that stuck out past his hat and a grin that must have lit up my grandmother's world.

Our visit lasted two hours. I promised Lynn and his lovely wife, who had compiled the photos, that I would come back and get scans for my own collection. After farewells, I climbed back astride the Green Machine and pointed her north.

to be continued.

Jocassee screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 10:41 AM
Jocassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #49
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

I had about 5 hours of daylight left. I wanted to hit Deal's Gap before heading home, but I also wanted to get down to the piedmont before it got dark...

I decided to haul ass for Deal's Gap.

A word about the ZRX1200.

The thing is fantastic. Anything else I could say about it would merely diminish it's glory. I will say that I haven't had this much fun on a bike in a long, LONG, time.

I stopped by Fontana Dam on the way back.

I crossed the corner of Georgia and snuck down 28 as the sun disappeared over the mountains the moon peeked through the trees. I made it to Seneca as the last light dissipated.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #50
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,447
Nice.
Fireman1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #51
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

A few pictures from this weekend's cruise on a borrowed BMW. Spring has sprung in South Carolina!

Old 04-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #52
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 877
Spring riding is finally making up for a long crappy Winter, great photos!

How'd you like the RT?
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #53
scfrank
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,871
Neighbor

Great pics. Been on most of those roads but you clearly know them better than me. Ive been down 11 many times and I've found you can't count on the cars behavior. It is usually lightly traveled during the week. I live over near Campobello. Do you frequent the upstate dinners? I just got back on a 1200GS after a couple year absence.

Love the ZRX. Its from my 'back in the day'.

"No, I give it up." Alice replied. "What's the answer?"

"I haven't the slightest idea." Said the Hatter.

"Nor, I" said the March Hare.
scfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #54
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scfrank View Post
Great pics. Been on most of those roads but you clearly know them better than me. Ive been down 11 many times and I've found you can't count on the cars behavior. It is usually lightly traveled during the week. I live over near Campobello. Do you frequent the upstate dinners? I just got back on a 1200GS after a couple year absence.

Love the ZRX. Its from my 'back in the day'.
I have been to a couple of the dinners recently and hope to be more frequent. There is some good riding right near your neighborhood. I usually go through Campobello, Gowensville, and Holly Springs on my Sunday afternoon route.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM   #55
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

On one side of the water, sweet everlasting grace

The other side will end your life, and steal your breath away.

Inmates, thank you for those who have checked this thread and responded.

Next week will mark the the year anniversary of the first trip documented here, and I believe this will be the last post in this thread.

You may remember a reference last May to the fact that my woman had gone back to New York and taken my heart with her. It was a very fearful and insecure time in my life and I tried to cope by taking long bike rides.

I thought she was going to break up with me. Little did I know she had the same fear. We both had a lot of growing to do.

I am happy to report that after some unnecessary drama, a lot of prayer and growth, breaking up, getting back together, and now spending time together for the last three months, things are looking up and we will probably get married. She likes to ride with me, so the next thread will include some pictures of her as well.

In the meantime, here's some pix from last week.

Cruising around near Grey Court in the SC Midlands...

Bad to the Bone

And now a few from North Carolina

Lunch at Ms Lois' Restaurant in Franklin

Hemlocks

Exploring around the Judaculla Rock (look it up!)

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #56
Jocassee OP
Petrolhead

One final note. I want to publicly thank Jim, AKA Upstate1951, for the very kind donation of helmets, gloves, boots and other gear for my girlfriend and I which he would not accept money for--according to him, just because he liked this thread.

ADV'ers are some of the best people and that is no lie.
Old 05-24-2014, 07:30 AM   #57
Mr_McBride
'The Cartographer'

Oddometer: 97
Thank you

Thanks for a great ride report. I really enjoyed your pictures. I also like your writing style.

It was good to hear that you and your girlfriend are working things out. I wish both of you the best.

I look forward to reading about your next ride and I hope to meet you on the road someday.

2012 G-Strom
Mr_McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #58
opjocephus
I'm down, I'm down!

Oddometer: 537

Jocassee must have started going to church again.
"Your eyes look like a couple of piss holes in a snow bank." The Great Jaydini
opjocephus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 05:04 AM   #59
maddognsc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Great Thread but what about

Great Thread Jocassee, I see that you haven't been on in a while and I hope that you're doing well. Supprised there's not a pic of Bob's on 178. Go by there on a Saturday and if you're lucky the Rocky Bottom Boys will be playing some bluegrass.
maddognsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #60
evotronix
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I really enjoyed your thread, I hope you are doing well and having fun this summer!