Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #3436
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
I did too. Just got it in the mail the other day. Just waiting on the wife to read the manual so she can figure out how they work.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #3437
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,500
The wife read up on them and even installed the damn things on our helmets. Went for a little ride today and we like them. Did get a couple 'intercom failed' messages when I tried to initiate it, but then my wife would hit hers and they worked fine (I think she's doing that on purpose somehow). Like I said, just a short ride today and we both like them.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #3438
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Sorry if this has been brought up somewhere in this thread, but for users of firmware version 5.0, have you guys tried sidetone (basically where you hear yourself over the speakers during either intercom or phone conversations). I like the feature, but I'm wondering if it significantly cuts down on either phone or BT module battery life.
GreyThumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:43 AM   #3439
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
I don't see it affecting phone battery life at all -- it's a feedback circuit from the Sena mic to its speakers.

I haven't tested it on a long ride yet, so can't report on Sena battery life, but my guess is the hit will be negligible.

I wish Sena provided an adjustment for amount of sidetone -- it's a little more than I'd like at its present level, but that's nitpicking. In general it's a great addition.

-dan
Old 04-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #3440
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyThumper View Post
Sorry if this has been brought up somewhere in this thread, but for users of firmware version 5.0, have you guys tried sidetone (basically where you hear yourself over the speakers during either intercom or phone conversations). I like the feature, but I'm wondering if it significantly cuts down on either phone or BT module battery life.
There an another update that I think might address those few whose battery life was cut a bit.

Change made from version 5.0 to 5.0.1

• Improved compatibility with Bluetooth GPS devices
  • Minor bug fixes in sidetone, Universal Intercom™, 3-way conference intercom, and GPS device
http://www.sena.com/software/smh10-firmware-5-0-1/
Old 04-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #3441
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Cataract. I forgot all about the 5.0.1 update.

-dan
Old 04-20-2014, 01:33 PM   #3442
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,870
Just got my Sena SMH10-11 on Thursday and have now done two rides with it.
Overall impressions: very, very, very good.
The Wife hasn't joined me yet so don't know how the intercom function will be, despite us talking to one another in the living room the other night with our helmets paired.
My iPhone 5 works beautifully with it: easy to pair and I just tap the phone button and tell Siri who to call and it's done. Fantastic!
Speaker volume is good, if not great, but that may be a matter of repositioning them within the helmet just a little bit. I spoke on the phone with my wife this morning, going 70, and she said it sounded clear as a bell. It's taken me a few times to get the boom mic positioned where I want it but I think I've got it down.
My only "problem" so far is that I was unable to get the Sena Device Manager to recognize either of our units. It's probably more on my end: I'm using a complete P.O.S. old XP laptop I bought for $40.00 from my company (after they imaged it) and despite my best efforts, malware, adware and other malcontent crap is constantly running on it.
Other than that, I am very pleased so far. I'm just running my old non-Bluetooth Ipod via wire and it's not bad and phone calls work pretty well.
Next up (when the weather gets warmer for my fair-weather wife), the intercom.
I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #3443
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
There an another update that I think might address those few whose battery life was cut a bit.

• Minor bug fixes in sidetone, Universal Intercom™, 3-way conference intercom, and GPS device
Is the 5.0.1 a very recent update? Like in the last few weeks?
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #3444
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
Is the 5.0.1 a very recent update? Like in the last few weeks?
Almost a month old now. If you plug your Sena into your computer the device manager will tell you what software version it has.
SMH10 Firmware 5.0.1

Download Latest Firmware

The latest update : March 31, 2014
Old 04-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #3445
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post

Thanks! Updating now!
GreyThumper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #3446
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by danham View Post
In general it's a great addition.

-dan
Dan, I truly promise I'm NOT trying to be an internet dick about this, but why is the sidetone a great addition for you? I have it activated on mine and can't see what the value is in it. I know what I said, I don't need to hear myself saying it. What is it about the sidetone that is a great addition for you?
Old 04-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #3447
danham
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Dan, I truly promise I'm NOT trying to be an internet dick about this, but why is the sidetone a great addition for you? I have it activated on mine and can't see what the value is in it. I know what I said, I don't need to hear myself saying it. What is it about the sidetone that is a great addition for you?
No offense taken; it may not be a useful feature for you.

I find that people often over-modulate signals by speaking too loudly into mics and too close to them. I'm not immune from that myself. Years of listening to public service radio transmissions (police, fire etc.) as a newspaper guy revealed that lots of folks just don't know how to talk into a mic properly.

Sidetone really helps with this. If you sound distorted and over-modulated to yourself, you probably sound that way to the other folks too. So I like being able to monitor my own level and as more people adopt sidetone they will be easier for me to understand too.

Bell Labs did a ton of work on this, getting just the right amount of sidetone to guard against people shouting into telephones and "swallowing" the mouthpiece, resulting in garbled speech.

-dan
Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 PM   #3448
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I find that people often over-modulate signals by speaking too loudly into mics and too close to them.

-dan
Same here. Ever since I switched on the sidetone feature, I realized that I didn't need to speak so loud (I had a tendency to talk louder the faster I rode, when it's apparently not needed because of the noise filters).
Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 AM   #3449
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
No offense taken; it may not be a useful feature for you.

I find that people often over-modulate signals by speaking too loudly into mics and too close to them. I'm not immune from that myself. Years of listening to public service radio transmissions (police, fire etc.) as a newspaper guy revealed that lots of folks just don't know how to talk into a mic properly.

Sidetone really helps with this. If you sound distorted and over-modulated to yourself, you probably sound that way to the other folks too. So I like being able to monitor my own level and as more people adopt sidetone they will be easier for me to understand too.

Bell Labs did a ton of work on this, getting just the right amount of sidetone to guard against people shouting into telephones and "swallowing" the mouthpiece, resulting in garbled speech.

-dan
Got it. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #3450
bluebird120
Farts Are Funny

Oddometer: 68
Sena smh10 power

has any one had any luck powering a sena unit off of an external battery pack? I have read that the unit doesn't respond to take a charge from these.

going on a week long trip and want to charge the units over night in the tent and the idea would be to charge the usb power block off the bike while riding during the day and then plug the 2 sena's into the external usb power block and have them charge while sleeping. Any ideas?
bluebird120 is offline   Reply With Quote