User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 12:51 PM   #376
backroadbob.com
Roads Scholar

Oddometer: 231
Watch Who You Camp With

You have the right idea and you've been given some good advice. Not being noticed is probably the most important point, especially with cell phones everywhere. Just set up camp well before dark, not an hour before and especially not at night. I once closed the local bars down with a bunch of Appalachian State college kids and motored up onto the Blue Ridge Parkway to pitch my tent and woke up with a very large bull looking into my tent. It's tough to break camp while staring down a bull. Luckily, it was before cell phones.
New Motorcycle Adventure Website <www.backroadbob.com> Featuring a Four-Decade Distillation of Motorcycling in 38 American States, Five Canadian Provinces, Five National Forests, Ten Pennsylvania State Forests, and Eight Foreign Countries.http://www.backroadbob.com
backroadbob.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:08 AM   #377
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I've done a lot of stealth camping/dispersed camping, and never once pitched a tent while doing it.

Maybe it make sense if you're doing it in a town--maybe it will reduce the likelihood of being bothered. I don't know. Haven't ever done it there. Or if it's raining. Sure it makes sense if it's raining.

But I think a lot of people automatically want to set up house--or at least sleep in a tent. I don't get that.

It's certainly stealthier if you can set up & pack up camp faster.
On occasion when the conditions are right, I'll lay my sleeping bag out under the stars... but usually where I'm riding, conditions encourage me to use a tent.

More than once I've set up my tent under perfectly clear skies and omitted the rain fly because I like it that way, only to wake up at 3am with rain coming down on my face. I need to be fairly certain of the forecast if I'm going to omit a tent.

Or mosquitoes. I can't sleep with mosquitoes flying around my eyes and ears all night. Or ants, either. (Though I did have a bad experience with ants a few months back while in my tent, so that doesn't always help.)

And in the morning, everything outside my tent will be covered in dew.

But when the conditions are right, I don't hesitate to skip the tent.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #378
FMFDOC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walub View Post
I can't believe I started this tread before my first big trip in 2006 and it is still going. Money is a little tight right now so have been thinking of not licensing my bike this year because of the cost. But this has encouraged me to at least plan one trip.

Here's to another year of stealth camping!

(still won't find me sleeping in a cemetery... Jamie Z can have all of those sites)
ANY WAY YOU CAN! http://youtu.be/Gg_G-NeSmW0
FMFDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #379
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
I need to be fairly certain of the forecast if I'm going to omit a tent.

Or mosquitoes.
I'll usually take a bivy bag. Or maybe a small mosquito bivy + emergency tarp. It's good to have emergency shelter. I just don't get setting up house when traveling--especially when stealth camping.

I do get setting up a nice (non-stealth) camp if you're staying somewhere awhile.
davidji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:53 PM   #380
Jamie Z
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,707
Camping on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I'll usually take a bivy bag. Sometimes a small mosquito bivy + emergency tarp. It's good to have emergency shelter. I just don't get setting up house when traveling--especially when stealth camping.

I do get setting up a nice (non-stealth) camp if you're staying somewhere awhile.
Granted, some people do carry shelters which could double as a house, but I usually travel with my one-man tent, or occasionally my two-man.

I think one is less likely to be approached while in a tent, and at least in my view, one seems less "homeless" while in a tent. Numerous times I've had vehicles pull into whatever place I've stopped for the night, including on a few occasions, law enforcement, only to turn around and drive off. I can't say if those vehicles would do any different if I didn't have a tent, but something tells me a tent is a little less inviting to curious people because they don't know who or what is inside.

That's not why I usually use a tent though. Those reasons are mentioned above. Setting up my tent takes less than five minutes, as does breaking it down. For me there's really no time or effort difference between those times I set up my tent and when I don't.

If you're picturing a house, no wonder you can't understand.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #381
davidji
bike curious

If I were camping in more populous areas I might be more inclined to pitch a tent. More bugs and I know I would.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #382
Robboh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Camping on the side of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedalritter View Post

The example came to my mind because some weeks ago my girlfriend applied for an externship in a quite famous horse clinic in Texas (she's finishing her studies in veterinary medicine at the moment) and even in the papers they sent to her she was told to be aware that the purchase of sex toys -I don't know about ownership- is prohibited by law. She just mentioned that she's not sure if all girls in texas are so fond of corn cobs... she at least is not willing to travel without her dildo when I'm not with her.

I hope no one felt insulted by my remarks, if so, I do apologize!

Best wishes,
PR

This is a few weeks old, and my answer is not really pertinent to the conversation of camping, but I just had to comment that I think that warning is just a weird thing for them to have given your girlfriend... I grew up and have lived in TX most of my life (5 year stint in OK for my wife's schooling) and there are shops all around that sell those things and I've never heard (a first person account) of anyone bring arrested, much less hassled for buying one... It makes me wonder what small town she must be going to, because in the town I live in, we constantly laugh about it being so behind the times and there's at least 4 places here that sell "adult items".... sigh... I'm sad I know that... but I did grow up here so as a high school boy they were a source of much mystery and tittilating speculation haha...

The other possibility that comes to mind is that it's one of those laws still on the books (you can find funny lists of them online) that are long ago forgotten and not enforced... ie - "All approaching travelers must shoot their guns in the air when approaching town to announce their arrival."

I think you'll find Texans a friendly bunch...

...and if you want, I'm sure there are a few that will be glad to take you out to go target shooting while you're passing through as well haha...

Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Robboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #383
Other Bob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Quote:
*** It's not about the individual people *** It's more the political and legal attitude that to my eyes looks rather bizarre sometimes. ***
It sometimes looks bizarre to us too PedalRitter! We must look like a nation of lunatics to those who are outside looking in!

Don't let the media keep you from visiting the U.S. The overwelming majority of our citizens are friendly and would love the chance to meet you during your visit. Even the ones who legally carry guns.

Bob
Other Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:47 AM   #384
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 631
I'm curious to know, how do you deal with a wet tent when stealth camping? If you're striking camp at dawn you must be sometimes packing up a tent still wet with dew. Is there anything you do to prevent mildew and stench?
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 AM   #385
tvpierce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLunk View Post
I'm curious to know, how do you deal with a wet tent when stealth camping? If you're striking camp at dawn you must be sometimes packing up a tent still wet with dew. Is there anything you do to prevent mildew and stench?
+1... also you folks who sleep under the stars with no tent/cover at all.

Maybe it's just a northern thing... but I've never encountered a single morning -- any time of the year -- when the ground wasn't covered in dew.

"But I had the right of way!" makes a pretty crappy epitaph.
tvpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #386
davidji
bike curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpierce View Post
+1... also you folks who sleep under the stars with no tent/cover at all.

Maybe it's just a northern thing... but I've never encountered a single morning -- any time of the year -- when the ground wasn't covered in dew.
If I expect dew I'll use my bivy bag. Sleeping under trees can prevent dew though (it must depend on conditions, but reducing the radiant cooling does help). On a recent trip my bike was soaked from dew out in the open before I was even asleep, and I was dry under tree cover.

If I have to I'll ride a bit and when it's sunny, put my stuff out to dry. I guess it would be bad if it never got sunny and dry. True for backpacking as well--in wet conditions your stuff may stay wet.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:06 AM   #387
froger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Wet tent

Roll up your tent and go. I wouldnt want to store it wet, but it'll be fine on a trip. They dry fast when you set up.
Leaving early is a good plan, but not strictly necessary. Treat the area with respect, and act like you belong there. Most folks wont care.
I've been kicked out twice. Once it was someone's driveway in BC. The law politely, but firmly sent us on our way. In Washington, I found a rigged gate on a forest road. Looked locked, but wasen't. When a firefighter came along, I asked if I could stay. He threatned to lock me in, so I left right quick. Most wildland firefighters are great people who'd gladly help you out. I happened to meet a jerk. Anyway, only being kicked out twice in forty years ain't bad.
Last year I was close to the road, but out of sight. Someone turned my electronic reader in for a forest fire, and two guys visited my camp at one am. "OH, it's a camper. Sorry to bother you". "Thats OK". Overtime was scace last year, least I got those guys some.

froger screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 10:15 AM
froger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:06 AM   #388
resqdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:

The example came to my mind because some weeks ago my girlfriend applied for an externship in a quite famous horse clinic in Texas (she's finishing her studies in veterinary medicine at the moment) and even in the papers they sent to her she was told to be aware that the purchase of sex toys -I don't know about ownership- is prohibited by law. She just mentioned that she's not sure if all girls in texas are so fond of corn cobs... she at least is not willing to travel without her dildo when I'm not with her.

I hope no one felt insulted by my remarks, if so, I do apologize!

Best wishes,
PR
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/02...s-sex-toy-ban/
Old 04-19-2014, 10:44 AM   #389
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I stealth camp frequently and I always use a bivy bag. On cool or cold mornings, the sleeping bag can be a little damp due to condensation. Any water on the bivy bag can usually just be shaken off.

Any gear that gets wet goes in a mesh bag and tied to the bike where it'll get good air flow. Things are alway dry when I get to the next destination. This probably wouldn't work too well on multiple days of rain, but then again, that is something I've never encountered.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #390
FarStar
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Yukon camping and guns

I've just read the thread on stealth camping, pretty funny in places. I need to point out to any American riders heading up to Alaska via Canada (as if there is a choice) that bringing any handgun is a good way to shorten your trip. Up here in Whitehorse I read or hear every riding season stories of people trying to cross the border with handguns and either the guns are seized, they are fined, refused entry and/or occasionally arrested. Canada Customs is pretty twitchy about handguns. If you are an American heading up here you will be asked about weapons and maybe searched. That being said, come on up. No need for stealth camping up here, lots of unpopulated areas, and there isn't that many tourists that get eaten by bears. And no, I don't live in an igloo or use a dog team to go to work, and yes the highways are paved from the U.S. Border all the way to Anchorage.
FarStar is offline   Reply With Quote