bingo43
¡Que Viva!

Oddometer: 224
You should start a Colorado Rally, Offroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Photo taken today:

Tricedaughter (1 of 3) (graduates Texas A&M next month) and her Big Smile,

3.8 GPA and a Colorado grad school so I can ride with SR, Jimmex, Bill (Eakins) and JD
You should develop that new found affinity for Colorado into some sort of bad ass offroad ride in Colorado. I'd be there in a heartbeat. My brother lives in Denver and I'd love to have a little more Colorado in my life. You need to put more miles on the KTM than you did on that KLR. Let me know when the Tricepilot ofroad 500 starts! I'll be there. Even if I have to get something more agile than my KLR.
bingo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:46 PM   #22562
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Let sleeping dogs lie. We don't want Ugly American types causing problems for the rest of us.
It's bad enough that we ride down there. Don't want it to get any worse.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:15 PM   #22563
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo43 View Post
You should develop that new found affinity for Colorado into some sort of bad ass offroad ride in Colorado. I'd be there in a heartbeat. My brother lives in Denver and I'd love to have a little more Colorado in my life. You need to put more miles on the KTM than you did on that KLR. Let me know when the Tricepilot off road 500 starts! I'll be there. Even if I have to get something more agile than my KLR.
Yo Jeff, somebody's done that for us:

Adding to the excitement of riding Colorado is the fact that my motorcycle camping hammock arrived,and somebody introduced me to the world's finest (and cheapest) instant coffee for moto trips.

As for an off road 500, Richard organized that for a bunch of us last month in Big Bend, which was a blast. The year before that, it was in the Texas Hill Country. That's two "500s" already on the KTM. The next two should be Colorado and Copper Canyon back country.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #22564
kennyanc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,990
Quote:
......somebody introduced me to the world's finest (and cheapest) instant coffee for moto trips.....
Do tell....I haven't found anything yet that works well for me moto camping.
kennyanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #22565
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Fortunately, now they sell Coors Light at OXXO. So in Mexico we're never more than 2 blocks away from finding a traguito de nuestra tierra! It's very comforting!

Viva Colorado!
surely you jest
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #22566
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyanc View Post
Do tell....I haven't found anything yet that works well for me moto camping.
Jet boil with french press attachment or really small Junior express. (The silver colored Italian one) You still need to boil the water though.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 PM   #22567
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Seismic Event

Quote:
And the map pinpointer is, just so you know, for "Arturo's Tacos", not a seismic event
Could easily turn into a seismic event if only highly localized.

Colorado awaits you.

Did you ever see a KC50?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #22568
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Burro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
Regarding the google donkey. That's actually a rather old image. Google came under fire over it. It's actually playing in reverse. The donkey was laying down, car drove up on it and spooked it so it stood up.
I think it is a burro boys.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 PM   #22569
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Tecate Crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
I'm riding solo from Palm Springs to Cabo to visit friends for a week (leaving the 23rd), and basically just need to get there ASAP - and still have a nice ride! I can do some exploring on the way back when I have a bit more time.
First time Mexico rider! Spanish consists of a phrase book - but have holidayed in Mexico a number of times. Right - el gringo stupido
Pretty sure I want to avoid Tijuana.
So, is it best to cross a Mexicali and go south on 5 until it intersects 1? Or cut across to Ensenada using 2 and 3? Or cross at Tecate and take 3 to 1/

Apologies for the non-adventure route - maybe next time.
Thanks for any advice.

Oh, KTM 990.
I would cross at Tecate take the 3 down to the 1 and head South. That is the way I came back a year ago. All pavement and not much traffic except near Tecate. Coco's Corner seems to be something everyone wants to do... I don't get it. 3 through the wine country is interesting. 1 between Los Pinos (S. of Ensenada, great hotel there... see my RR) and Guerrero Negro can be very interesting if it is raining. Check out the vados and you will see how much water can come down from the Mts. to the East. Loreto is nice, don't waste your time with Mulege. On your way back check out Bahia de Los Angeles. There is a long stretch North of Guerrero Negro where there is no fuel! There is a decent hotel S. of Santa Rosalia, a rambling stone place on the cliff. When I was there last year they did not have any food and only 2 beers even though it is right next to the distribudora. They may have gotten the food thing straightened out by now.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:20 PM   #22570
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

CDR New Mexico

CDR South from just West of Silver City is a bitch on a big bike, especially if you have little sand experience. It is a beautiful ride, about 33 miles down to the I 10. I think the road is called the Sapar road. There is a truck stop at the I 10, cold beverages but no fuel. Closest fuel is East to Deming or West to ??? whatever the first town West is. I rode that road solo because I am a dumb ass. Fell about six times. Had to unload the bike six times to pick it up. Used all of my water (I thought I had plenty) the only person I came across was a retired Forest Ranger on a Honda 500 with a 9 strapped to his waist. I asked him if he needed it. He said "You just never know." I would ride it again because it was a real challenge and beautiful country if you like desert. Don't know that I would do it solo again. I was lucky.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #22571
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Basement Wanabees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Let sleeping dogs lie. We don't want Ugly American types causing problems for the rest of us.
Nooooo! I am with TC on this one. I saw enough jerks on dirt bikes acting like they were somewhere near Palmdale.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:30 PM   #22572
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Baja

Quote:
I'll be riding solo KTM 990, Mexicali to Cabo San Lucas via San Felipe/Coco's Corner, #1, next week.
Can anyone tell me the longest stretch without fuel? KTM has about 300 km / 190 mi range, and I'm just going to buy a gas can and strap it on the tail rack to use as needed, but I guess I should know what size to buy. (a little planning goes a long way)
And second - does anyone have recommendations for reasonable and decent accommodation along the way?
Thanks for your help and indulgence - I've been searching this thread and got some great hints so far, but over 1500 pages is a bunch!
Please look at my RR from last year. Link is in my sig line. On your way back up if you go to Bahia de LA there are two gas stations there only about 150 meters apart. None out on Hwy. 1 for many miles in either direction.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #22573
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Puke Baja Fuel

No fuel between La Rosaria and Guerrero Negro. There is barrel gas and a very expensive hotel in Cataviña. I don't think the 990 will cover the distance, especially if you are wailing on it. Just made it on the GS and I was carrying 2 gals. extra fuel just in case. Fully loaded and running at 70-75 most of the time I get just over 200 miles to my 5 gal. tank.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:35 PM   #22574
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymountainoyster View Post
No fuel between La Rosaria and Guerrero Negro. There is barrel gas and a very expensive hotel in Cataviña. I don't think the 990 will cover the distance, especially if you are wailing on it. Just made it on the GS and I was carrying 2 gals. extra fuel just in case. Fully loaded and running at 70-75 most of the time I get just over 200 miles to my 5 gal. tank.
Thanks for all the info. I've settled on the East coast route, not because of Coco's, but it's a bit shorter and, I think, less traffic. But also when I Google Mapped it out, there are no stretches more that 240 km without gas.
This assumes that there IS gas at Gonzaga Bay - Pemex is shown and others have said there is.
I'll carry a bit of back up (in case I get lost or some dumb thing), but likely won't need it.
Coming back may be different. Thanks for the POI suggestions - they are now on my to do list.
Google say it's 356 km / 223 mi from La Rosaria to Guerrero Negro - wonder if that's wrong. 7 gal. should take you about 280, right?

folknride screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 10:44 PM
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #22575
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Mexicali route

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I've settled on the East coast route, not because of Coco's, but it's a bit shorter and, I think, less traffic. But also when I Google Mapped it out, there are no stretches more that 240 km without gas.
This assumes that there IS gas at Gonzaga Bay - Pemex is shown and others have said there is.
I'll carry a bit of back up (in case I get lost or some dumb thing), but likely won't need it.
Coming back may be different. Thanks for the POI suggestions - they are now on my to do list.
Google say it's 356 km / 223 mi from La Rosaria to Guerrero Negro - wonder if that's wrong. 7 gal. should take you about 280, right?
I'm in Mexicali, when we ride south we top gas here and the next it's in San Felipe, then Gonzaga ( all the way here is paved).

Pavement continue a couple of miles south from here, next are 28 miles of dirt until you reach intersection with highway 1. Also know like "Crucero Chapala" for locals.

From this point your next PEMEX it's in Guerrero Negro or in the intersection to Bahia de los Angeles from barrels at the right side of the road.

I don't ever carry spare gas can but cautions should be taken.I ride a 5 gallons bike,

PM if you need more info or help.

Bajarider

When the U.S. and Canada enter rehab, we can kiss drug cartels goodbye.
bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote