Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #22576
bajarider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Mexicali route

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Thanks for all the info. I've settled on the East coast route, not because of Coco's, but it's a bit shorter and, I think, less traffic. But also when I Google Mapped it out, there are no stretches more that 240 km without gas.
This assumes that there IS gas at Gonzaga Bay - Pemex is shown and others have said there is.
I'll carry a bit of back up (in case I get lost or some dumb thing), but likely won't need it.
Coming back may be different. Thanks for the POI suggestions - they are now on my to do list.
Google say it's 356 km / 223 mi from La Rosaria to Guerrero Negro - wonder if that's wrong. 7 gal. should take you about 280, right?
I'm in Mexicali, when we ride south we top gas here and the next it's in San Felipe, then Gonzaga ( all the way here is paved).

Pavement continue a couple of miles south from here, next are 28 miles of dirt until you reach intersection with highway 1. Also know like "Crucero Chapala" for locals.

From this point your next PEMEX it's in Guerrero Negro or in the intersection to Bahia de los Angeles from barrels at the right side of the road.

I don't ever carry spare gas can but cautions should be taken.I ride a 5 gallons bike,

PM if you need more info or help.

Bajarider

When the U.S. and Canada enter rehab, we can kiss drug cartels goodbye.
bajarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 AM   #22577
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarider View Post
I'm in Mexicali, when we ride south we top gas here and the next it's in San Felipe, then Gonzaga ( all the way here is paved).

Pavement continue a couple of miles south from here, next are 28 miles of dirt until you reach intersection with highway 1. Also know like "Crucero Chapala" for locals.

From this point your next PEMEX it's in Guerrero Negro or in the intersection to Bahia de los Angeles from barrels at the right side of the road.

I don't ever carry spare gas can but cautions should be taken.I ride a 5 gallons bike,

PM if you need more info or help.
Bajarider
Thanks for the accurate info. It confirms that I'm fine without extra gas for this ride, but I will probably carry a couple of liters "just for luck"
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #22578
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Added info on Catavina, yup there is an expensive chain hotel there on the west side of the highway but last time I was thru there there was also a smaller budget , basic motel a bit north on the east side of the road , and south of the village there was a rustic motel with campgrounds off on a side road to the east out at the south end of the village. Things may have changed in 3 years but you should be able to find something of you need it.
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #22579
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajarider View Post
I don't know if it's still the case, but the Pemex in Gonzaga used to be closed on Wednesday.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #22580
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
I don't know if it's still the case, but the Pemex in Gonzaga used to be closed on Wednesday.
I won't be there 'til Thursday - stay in San Felipe Wed. night, but...
Does anyone know if it's open Thursday?
If no gas there, I have to carry a fair bit of gas.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #22581
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,660
Quote:
I won't be there 'til Thursday - stay in San Felipe Wed. night, but...
If no gas there, I have to carry a fair bit of gas.
Why not ask the people in San Felipe ? They are more likely to know than anyone here.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #22582
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,093
Quote:

The Gonzaga Pemex will be open Thursday
(Unless Humberto's mistress is back in town)
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #22583
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeycreek View Post
Let sleeping dogs lie. We don't want Ugly American types causing problems for the rest of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
Lol! Okay
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
++1

How about just one? I am not your typical Ugly American, well I am ugly, and yes technically American, but I'm not typical!

While I did start out in JM, I've come to realize that it's just the start. It's like the gateway drug of ADV, but JM no longer does it for me now though, so I need...something...more. So I've crawled out of the basement, learned how to read, and started to think that maybe I could travel like so many of you do. I'm selling all the ancillaries, storing the rest and traveling for two years, or so.

I'm thinking of leaving NH on 10/13/2014 and wandering towards Mexico with SA in my sights. Do any of you see an issue with weather leaving the north east that late in the season? I do know that ships aren't sailing around January, but I'm planning to ride around Mexico for a few/ several months.

And while I don't have a windshield, I do carry scratch remover, you know, just in case.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM   #22584
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,093

Remembering The Magical Realism Of Gabriel García Márquez

Click on the

button at the top of the linked page for an outstanding radio show on Gabo
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:52 PM   #22585
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,453
"..JM....the gateway drug of ADV..."

That line alone should get you a seat up near the front. Well, that and your plans. Just remember, it's quid pro quo around these parts. Whatever assistance you get here must be paid back in pix and anecdotes from your travels. I'm bettin' you're good for a few stories.

If it was me I'd be out of there before the leaves started dropping.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:34 AM   #22586
Junyah
@ the speed of plaid

Oddometer: 118
Thanks ShizzMan. I've never sat near the front, always been a back of the bus type, this should be good.

Quid pro quo, nothing in life is free. I plan/ hope to do a ride report to try and pay back for all the info I've gleaned here. This site is an amazing wealth of info, and quite frankly I don't think I would have attempted this without this place.

If I see any hint of snow, or below freezing temps, I'm outta here! Other wise I have one last event I'd like to attend, thus the late start. With the northern jet stream dipping so low this past winter did you guys see any freezing in Mexico?

Thanks

Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 AM   #22587
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junyah View Post
With the northern jet stream dipping so low this past winter did you guys see any freezing in Mexico?
Yes.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:26 AM   #22588
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
With the northern jet stream dipping so low this past winter did you guys see any freezing in Mexico?.
I live at altitude in northern Mexico and see freezing and snow every year. But there are also nice riding days in the winter. Anywhere at altitude in Mexico will get cold in the winter but you don't necessarily need to avoid the mountains. The weather in the winter in most of Mexico comes in predictable fronts and alternates between a week or so of nice riding weather and a few days of too cold to want to ride. Just keep an eye on the forecast. You can always run down to the coast if it gets too cold and come back inland when it warms up.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #22589
R-W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Trice,

Thank you for this link on Gabo. Just today, I finished his
" The story of a shipwrecked sailor". The first book I have
read of his. It will not be the last. RIP Senior Marquez

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Remembering The Magical Realism Of Gabriel García Márquez

Click on the

button at the top of the linked page for an outstanding radio show on Gabo
R-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #22590
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
...While I did start out in JM...I'm thinking of leaving NH on 10/13/2014 and wandering towards Mexico with SA in my sights. Do any of you see an issue with weather leaving the north east that late in the season?...And while I don't have a windshield...
  1. There are some good guys in JoMomma like Lobby and Misery Goat, but I am surprised at the many posers who don't do any kind of ADVrider type rides. I thought most started in the Ride Reports or Trip Planning forums and then just went down there to fuck around, but evidently I was wrong. There are some serious psychos down there, who live down there 24/7.
  2. Yes, I think you can leave that late from NH. I lived in upstate NY for a few years. The weather would still be okay for heading south, but no later than that.
  3. Get a windshield. Longer rides will fatigue you. Wind beats on your chest and head. This has the effect of fatiguing your arms and neck, plus it slows you down. If you fashion the windshield correctly the wind should roll smoothly over the top of your helmet as it comes off the windshield. Cuts down on noise too. Wind noise gets to be a bitch even with a helmet and windshield, so I use ear plugs as well.
  4. Consider an Airhawk cushion.
  5. There are plenty of riders on this thread willing to help. Most of us get along, though with an occasional spat.

Bienvenidos!

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote