Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #20086
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Now on a tubeless tire a puncture is the end of the tire. But with a tubed tire can't you just put new tube in and G2G?
A puncture on tubeless can be repaired but the puncture needs to be in the middle few inches of the tread. The repair has to be a mushroom inserted from the inside and vulcanized.
You have to work out whether it's worth the cost (30ish) over the mileage left in that tyre compared to the cost of just fitting a new one.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:36 AM   #20087
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Now on a tubeless tire a puncture is the end of the tire. But with a tubeb tire can't you just put new tube in and G2G?

Just plug the tubeless and keep riding. Why would it be the end of the tire? You don't even have to take the tire off and most times you can pull the offending object out of the tire if you notice it soon enough, plug it, and still have enough air in the tire for safe travel to somewhere to air up if you happen to not have a pump with you. I've got 10k's of miles on plugged tires. Never an issue. Got one in my rear anakee2 now with about 10k miles on it.

I converted my Xchallenge rear to tubeless for the above simplicity of dealing with a puncture.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:59 AM   #20088
Big Jon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Thumb You're both right.

I've been using plugs for at least 20 years. The type I use are plugged from the inside. I do always try to get whatever caused the leak out of the tire first. Some plugs are designed with a patch attached. These plugs are used just like a traditional repair where the tire is taken off the rim and buffed around the hole, then glued before the plug is inserted, and stitched, (run over with a patch roller) and the excess plug is cut off flush with the tread. This type of patched plug is usually considered a better fix.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #20089
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Now on a tubeless tire a puncture is the end of the tire. But with a tubeb tire can't you just put new tube in and G2G?
the main benefit of tubeless tyres is they normally go down slowly allowing you to get it stopped.
Tubed tyres go down in the blink of an eye and make for some interesting times if you can stay on it
Tubeless can be plugged reinflated and ride away within minutes, tubeless have to be stripped and patched or a new tube fitted
There is a reason why all modern cars run tubeless tyres, give me tubeless any day
Old 04-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #20090
doxbike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
So if I am reading it correctly, the OEM Battlewings on my 2011 xc, front 90/90-21 is bias ply; the Rear 150/70-17 is radial ply. The Heidenaus appear to be bias front and rear-can't find the specific designation on line or on the tire. If I should decide to try the full bores, should I go m-40 radial on the rear and m-41 on the front (only have 90/90-21 in bias).

I thought you weren't supposed to mix radial and bias, yet it appears that several Triumph models do.
doxbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #20091
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post
So if I am reading it correctly, the OEM Battlewings on my 2011 xc, front 90/90-21 is bias ply; the Rear 150/70-17 is radial ply. The Heidenaus appear to be bias front and rear-can't find the specific designation on line or on the tire. If I should decide to try the full bores, should I go m-40 radial on the rear and m-41 on the front (only have 90/90-21 in bias).

I thought you weren't supposed to mix radial and bias, yet it appears that several Triumph models do.
BMW used to mix radial and bias on their F650 as well. Common and no biggie.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #20092
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxbike View Post

It's a common misconception that you can't mix radial and cross ply. You can. BUT you can only do it by having the radial on the rear.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:03 PM   #20093
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

I stumbled across this web site, this guy has spent considerable time making 800XC Service videos.
http://www.muddysump.com/servicing/tiger-800/

This should be a big help to some people on this forum
Old 04-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #20094
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,087
Finally hit 300 miles today and can now take her to 6000rpm. I am truly loving this bike more and more. Seems to have all of what I loved about my Sprint ST and none of what I didn't like about it. Now if they would just sweep the fun roads.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #20095
JTB488
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I just hit 504 today, picked it up this past Tuesday.
JTB488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 PM   #20096
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Finally hit 300 miles today and can now take her to 6000rpm. I am truly loving this bike more and more. Seems to have all of what I loved about my Sprint ST and none of what I didn't like about it. Now if they would just sweep the fun roads.
Exactly this. I transferred from the Sprint ST also. I hit 9000 on mine today and it is still as much fun as the first 300.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 AM   #20097
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Just wait until you're allowed above 6000rpm.............................
Old 04-21-2014, 06:52 AM   #20098
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Just wait until you're nudging the rev limiter in second gear on a steep section of mountain hairpins.............................
Fixt to reflect the memory of yesterday's ride.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #20099
loxsmith
Good ol days my arse

I think I'll give that a shot tomorrow on the "Million Dollar Highway" SW Colorado
Hope this dodgy chain holds up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Fixt to reflect the memory of yesterday's ride.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:40 PM   #20100
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 112
I did the million dollar highway last June on my XC. They musta had some money left over from construction because they spent the last few dollars on "chipping" the whole effing road to Ouray!
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote