Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #601
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Restoring Hobie Weaver Woody

I've decided to restore my mid 70's Hobie Weaver Woody. I have no intention of ever selling it, as it was the first board I bought with my own money, and I am the original and only owner. The patina was nice, but pretty unsightly for display, one of the trucks has a bent axle, so it wasn't really in rideable condition.

A few BEFORE pics:

So far I have disassembled everything to evaluate condition.

I stripped off the grip tape and sanded down the topside.

Then I sanded down the bottom, after making a plan for re-applying the logo

I have a couple NOS ACS 430 truck hangers on order, along with a few Hobie Weaver Woody reproduction decals. I am debating using a decal under a layer of clear coat, or creating a stencil from the decal to paint the logo on (as was original in this case).

I still need to decide on clear coat (type, etc), and source some bearings, bushings, and new king pins. The original Power Paw wheels cleaned up pretty well. I'll post up some more pics as the project comes together.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM   #602
Chi-Ha
soft-handed crime fighter

Oddometer: 124
Thats a sweet old board!
Pics look like the wood is splitting

I'm definately curious to see how this turns out!
Chi-Ha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #603
queenpdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Ha View Post
Thats a sweet old board!
Pics look like the wood is splitting

I'm definately curious to see how this turns out!
yeah, the bottom layer is splitting, but the top ply's are not. I am wondering if there is anything I can seal up the cracks with before clear coating. Very many of the old Hobies have this issue.

keep ya posted.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #604
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,307
New deck arrived yesterday. I added some moto stickers to make it race ready

Unfortunately a misplaced foot on a heelflip at the skatepark last night and it's already got an annoying crack in the top layer by the back trucks. Time to find a replacement. I like the shape of it though. It's a Threat (Zero).

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #605
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
I convinced my wife to try it out. She snowboards so she did pretty well

DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:47 PM   #606
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I started a couple years ago with a regular Arbor board, commuting to work every day.

Moved up to an electric last year.

The GF has taken to it:

So that gave me an excuse to buy another electric this spring:

Hopefully we will spend a good chunk of the summer exploring the city
PJungnitsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #607
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,117
Long boards are the wrong boards.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #608
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
Ok, I don't know if any of you guys know about The Berrics. It's a park that 2 pro skaters started. Steve Berra & Eric Koston started it. Everything in the park has to be filmed....everything, at all times. The footage they get is downright incredible.

I've been inspired by a competition that they have called Battle At the Berrics. it's a glorified game of SKATE. This year is a competition of Pros vs Joes (regular AM skaters).

I have found this so incredibly inspiring to watch. It's even pushed me to learn some new tricks (just learned fakie bigspin heelflips & almost have inward heelflips!)

Watch this video.....if you aren't inspired to shred....check your pulse

http://theberrics.com/battle-at-the-...ris-chann.html

Andrew
I have been enjoying this a lot this year. This was the best game. Some of that Chann guy's tricks I have never seen done on flat I don't think? I am 38 and still play games of skate with teenagers.
Earth Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #609
andrewgore
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rider View Post
I have been enjoying this a lot this year. This was the best game. Some of that Chann guy's tricks I have never seen done on flat I don't think? I am 38 and still play games of skate with teenagers.
I had never heard of the forward flip until sometime last year. I was playing some kid in skate and he goes "do a dolphin flip". I sat there looking like this . Thank goodness for youtube....and no I haven't learned the trick yet.

It decided to rain last night, so I went out to the indoor park. I kinda don't like going there because it's always a zoo of scooter kids. Thankfully there were maybe 4 or 5 other people there. Unfortunately I found that my crash this past weekend on my bike did something to my left leg. It's feeling like someone slugged my upper thigh with a bat. Eh push through and keep skating. I was glad I did, as I landed a nice 360 flip on the hip of the parks pyramid.

Andrew
andrewgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:25 AM   #610
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJungnitsch View Post

Hopefully we will spend a good chunk of the summer exploring the city
$2000 skateboard. Damn, I thought my Fiik was expensive

It is sweet, though!
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:48 AM   #611
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewgore View Post
I had never heard of the forward flip until sometime last year. I was playing some kid in skate and he goes "do a dolphin flip". I sat there looking like this . Thank goodness for youtube....and no I haven't learned the trick yet.

It decided to rain last night, so I went out to the indoor park. I kinda don't like going there because it's always a zoo of scooter kids. Thankfully there were maybe 4 or 5 other people there. Unfortunately I found that my crash this past weekend on my bike did something to my left leg. It's feeling like someone slugged my upper thigh with a bat. Eh push through and keep skating. I was glad I did, as I landed a nice 360 flip on the hip of the parks pyramid.

Andrew
Nice. The forward flip is a mystery to me. I do have old school tricks that always get the kids though, Sal flips, late shove its, airwalks, shove it tail grab, one footed ollie variations, etc. And I can still do 360 flips, kick flips, etc. But I usually lose.

Sometimes we'll do a huge game of team skate where you have a partner and go every other person on offense, but on defense the best person at the trick gets to try it.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #612
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, I really liked the Evolve Pintail, so when I was looking for a new board the Carbon was impossible to resist. Still has the speed, the range and nice carving trucks, but the battery is invisible now and I'm looking forward to the all terrain wheels on rougher pavement and grass. Commute is growing to almost an hour so the smoother ride will be a good thing.

How's the Fiik been with the A/T wheels?
Old 04-22-2014, 09:06 AM   #613
jiggliemon
Nobody

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippertheripper View Post
Long boards are the wrong boards.
Yup. I gotta laugh when I see people around town with those things. It's like the moto equivalent of a busa with a stretched out swing arm. If you can't slappy a curb or Ollie up a sidewalk with it then what good is it? You get a pardon if you're flying down mulholland dr on one going 50mph, but otherwise why the non functional long ass wheelbase, big ass soft wheels that don't slide well, and overall piggish heaviness of a longboard for just cruising around town?
jiggliemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #614
PJungnitsch
Gnarly Adventurer

Old 04-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #615
Earth Rider
Beastly Adventurer

To me, riding a longboard around has about as much in common with skateboarding as walking around the block does with running a marathon. I hesitate to even call it skateboarding. If there is no personal accomplishment involved and you are not pushing your limits in some way, you are missing the point. There's nothing wrong with using a skateboard for transportation or exercise or whatever, but you will not get the same rewards.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: