Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
-Chris- OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Meandering East - From Tulsa to the coast, on a Tiger...

I think you all know the feeling you get before you go on a long ride right? Thats where I'm at now. I havent finished packing, I don't know what to expect, and I'm stuck at work. So I figured I would get my RR started now. I will be leaving Thursday after work (thats going to be a loooong day).

I will be heading south from Tulsa to the gulf coast, then on to the east coast and hope to see all that I can in between. I only have 12 days to do this so I will try and make the best of them! Stay tuned for camping, food, photos, and good times! I will see some of you soon.

Here is the trusty steed.

I will update as I get on the road.
Fly & Ride-2013, Meandering East - From Tulsa to the coast

-Chris- screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 08:35 AM
-Chris- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 700
Great looking Tiger... All the best for an amazing trip!

Cheers,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #3
b1pig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Calling for rain tomorrow in our area. I didnt get to see the weather report closer to your area. Hope you skip all of that and stay dry.

if my work/family schedule cooperates, i may see if i can meet you along the way. i live in south central, ga... about 35-40 miles north of florida. looks like you're going to be steering west of me about 1 to 1.5 hrs from where i am. if i'm fortunate enough to be off when you pass through, I'll see what happens.
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #4
Torquer
Hey, watch this.....

Oddometer: 85
I just moved from Tulsa up to the Louisville KY area. I was thinking of getting a Tiger 800xc myself.....kinda tossing around a few options but a new Wee Strom 650 or a used V Strom 1000 are on the top of my list. The tiger you have is sort of the dream bike....If you come through Louisville/Shepherdsville/ Bullitt County and need any assistance call me. Still have my Tulsa number 918-508-9816. Have a great ride!
A human should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, give/take orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze problems, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert Heinlein
Torquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 AM   #5
-Chris- OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Great looking Tiger... All the best for an amazing trip!

Cheers,
Thanks!

Quote:
Calling for rain tomorrow in our area. I didnt get to see the weather report closer to your area. Hope you skip all of that and stay dry.

if my work/family schedule cooperates, i may see if i can meet you along the way. i live in south central, ga... about 35-40 miles north of florida. looks like you're going to be steering west of me about 1 to 1.5 hrs from where i am. if i'm fortunate enough to be off when you pass through, I'll see what happens.
I hope to be dry for most of the ride, but it seems that never works out haha. I have actually changed course a bit, I will be coming through close to you I believe. I plan to go through Savannah and the up to Charleston. I will send you a PM when I get close.

Quote:
I just moved from Tulsa up to the Louisville KY area. I was thinking of getting a Tiger 800xc myself.....kinda tossing around a few options but a new Wee Strom 650 or a used V Strom 1000 are on the top of my list. The tiger you have is sort of the dream bike....If you come through Louisville/Shepherdsville/ Bullitt County and need any assistance call me. Still have my Tulsa number 918-508-9816. Have a great ride!
I love the bike, it does everything I wand and probably more haha. I don't think I will make it up quite that far on this trip, but if anything changes, I will let you know for sure! Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
oktulsa17
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Good looking bike, I've thought about one of those myself. How is it offroad?

btw I used to work in that black trapezoid looking building in the center of your pic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chris- View Post
I think you all know the feeling you get before you go on a long ride right? Thats where I'm at now. I havent finished packing, I don't know what to expect, and I'm stuck at work. So I figured I would get my RR started now. I will be leaving Thursday after work (thats going to be a loooong day).

I will be heading East from Tulsa to the East coast and hope to see all that I can in between. I only have 12 days to do this so I will try and make the best of them! Stay tuned for camping, food, photos, and good times! I will see some of you soon.

Here is the trusty steed.

I will update as I get on the road.
... I was born on the prairie where the wind blew free and there was nothing to break the light of the sun. I was born where there were no inclosures and where everything drew a free breath. I want to die there and not within walls

Chief Ten Bears 1867
oktulsa17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:31 PM   #7
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,248
Subscribed.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #8
Whitey Jr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Ya, nice bike (love the colour) Looking forward to more.

Whitey Jr

Check out the Big Trip videos.
Whitey Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Crab bait
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktulsa17 View Post

btw I used to work in that black trapezoid looking building in the center of your pic.
Tigers are fine on gravel roads or wide open spaces. Not too good in deep mud or tight trees.
Crab bait is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:36 AM   #10
-Chris- OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktulsa17 View Post

Crab bait is right on. It does well for a 500lb bike. Once you get in the trees or some deep mud, anything with that weight will not do all that well.

As far as most of the "adventure riding" it does very well.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 AM   #11
-Chris- OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, as one who is no pro at packing a bike and knowing what I will need, I think I am packed. I may have more stuff than some people thing I should have but better safe than sorry right? The only reason I even needed the Wolfman bag is for my tent and sleeping pad.

I am now at work waiting patiently for the end of the day. I will head home, get the riding gear on and say my goodbye's to the family. I will not have wifi nor phone signal tonight as I will be camping isolated from the "world". Looks like the weather held out for my departure today and I am thankful for that.

Here we are all packed up...

-Chris- screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 06:57 AM
Old 04-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #12
-Chris- OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I left home around 5:30 on Friday, which was ok as I only had about a 3 hour ride to where I wanted to camp the first night.
I'm off!

I had a friend see me off as I rode out of town (The closer this trip got, the more he wondered why he wasn't going on it). I'm sure it was hard to turn off the highway as I embarked on my small journey to the east.

I usually take my time while riding the 2 lanes and this day was no different. Sometimes you need to stop and help the less fortunate in life, wether it be someone stranded, or just need a helping hand. This little guy was having a difficult time crossing the road that day..

So we righted him up and went on the way.

So as I got closer to my campsite it was obviously dark and I was on the Talimena Byway. (very curvy and hilly) and since I don't have fogs I tend to use my "pass" switch to run both high and low beams to light the road up. Well don't do that for any amour of time. I'm headed down this road at 60mph in the dark and lose all headlights.
I found a place to pull over and found the culprit!
Not a big deal, but not ideal for sure. Put the spare fuse in and was on my way in no time!

I got to the camp site at around 9:30 maybe and since it just rained, I started setting up and trying to light a fire. What is camping without a fire right??
Dinner

Then it was off to get the tent up and get to sleep. I got to bed around 11ish I think. Here are a couple pics of camp. This was "stealth camping" if you will. I have no idea who's land I was on but it was perfect!
I piddled around and made it to the state line in 30 min or so...

My daughter would agree I'm sure, there is always time to stop and smell the flowers. (I miss her already).
Yep, I was in Texas for a few minutes.
Then Louisiana

The only thing I really wanted to see in Louisiana.... It was a tourist area for sure. Traffic was horrible getting in and out just for this pic... If I wanted to stay, there was a drawing to eat breakfast with Uncle Si...

Mississippi...

I stayed the night here in Biloxi with some new friends, Eric and Christine. You might know them from here: Living 2 Lives: one on an F650 and the other in the real world ( http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938792 ). They were kind enough to offer a bed/great food/great homemade wine/company and stories. (Thank you again!) We will check out the coast today (I don't have any pics of it because it was dark when I rode along it.) and see what kind of trouble we can get in to.

More to come as the day goes on...

-Chris- screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 07:25 AM
Old 04-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
-Chris- OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well Saturday morning we got up a bit late and they made brunch. Very very tasty brunch!

I hung out with Eric during the day so showed me around the Biloxi area. There was actually a lot going on this weekend. They were having boat races, a carnival, and it was still spring break.
While watching a bit of boat racing we seen a shark near the beach, I made sure we kept our distance.

The friendly neighborhood alligator..
We went back to their place and got ready to dinner. They took me to a pretty interesting place called The Shed. It was a place built with a bunch of donated junk! If your in the area and want BBQ, you should go check it out!
Seems like a very expensive insulation.
Eric had work so he went for a nap after dinner while Christine and I went to the pool and jacuzzi for a while. It got late quick and I knew I had to leave in the morning, they also needed to pack and get on a flight to Mexico. Off to bed!

Woke up, packed the bike up and they seen me off to explore more of the coast.
Thank you guys for letting me stay with you and for the great food, drinks, and company. I really loved the stories of your travels and the ideas and plans for your future travels! I hope all is well in Mexico!

I went on my way to the Mobile Bay Ferry, they were only running one ferry so I had to wait a while but totally worth it!

Waiting for the ferry.

Found the beach!

Finally there!

We had some followers of the ferry, They were very camera shy but I did get a shot of one.
After getting off the ferry, I followed another guy on a bike to the mullet toss on the beach. Interesting competition for sure. Lots of beach bodies and fish in the air. (Where did this competition come from??). After watching that for a while I decided to move on to Pensacola, Destin and Panama City Beach.
The view from the room, on the beach in Panama City.
Dinner on the beach..

More coming tomorrow.

-Chris- screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 09:10 PM
Old 04-29-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
Newner
Buffering

Oddometer: 1,502
Nice RR in progress... Hope you are dodging the Tornadoes.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #15
-Chris- OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I stayed on the beach most of the evening and got up early to go walk down the beach also. I went down to the pier and see how the fishermen were doing that morning and they wanted $3 just to walk out on it. I passed and walked back down and sat and just watched the waves for a while.

As I started my way back to the room to pack up it was starting to get a little windy and the waves started picking up more and more. On my way back to the room at about 8:00 in the morning I passed a guy walking near the water drinking a bud light already. (You can't drink ALL day if you don't get started early right?)

After leaving the coast I went over to Tallahassee and up into Georgia from there.
I didn't feel like there was much going on for me as it was still very hot and humid so I just continued north.
I just left the beach, of course I had peaches on the mind.

There were a lot of the fantastic driveways to old houses or possibly plantations back in the day, so I had to stop and get a pic of the old trees.
I went down a couple roads they must just use for logging mostly. They were all very sandy and soft for the most part so at times it was a bit "fun".

I stopped through Savannah, GA and have decided it will require another stop through to visit. It seems to be a very neat town with a lot of history. I wasn't there long really because I was needing to get to Charleston and meet up with fellow ADV'r.

I met Tom (CharlestonADV) at his house a little late and he was gracious enough to make me a very tasty dinner and cold beer. (much needed )

We stayed up sharing a few stories and plans for future rides and then I was off to bed, I was beat. We got up and he took me to a very nice little place for breakfast. MMMMmmmm

After breakfast Tom was kind enough to show me around Charleston and fill me in on a lot of the history of the area. If you have never been here, it is a must see for sure! Here are a few pics from the day.

Pick up your trash!

Another dolphin. I tell you what, when you get the camera out, those buggers disappear!

Gotta stop and smell the flowers!
We stopped for a beer and then went out for an early dinner.

Then some Gelato!

You have to stop and see some history for sure, this town has SOOOO much history!
There is Tom being sneaky over there. :loll

After a day all over town, I have decided I will be coming back here with the family. Charleston is such a wonderful place in so many aspects. There is great food, beaches, history, scenery, and the people seem to be very friendly. Tom Thank you again for letting me stay with you and showing me around town. Thanks for the food and beer too.

Now lets see if I can't make it across and into north Georgia without being blown away or flooded out by rain.

-Chris- screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 07:06 PM