Alaska to NOLA - 2014 Scooter Cannonball

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by cdwise, Jul 29, 2013.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    For anyone else interested the handicap calculator is at http://www.scootercannonball.com/, scroll down.

Registration closed so they could finalize logistics and order bits and bobs for the registered riders. There have been a couple of folks drop out so if you really want to ride contact one of them and see if you can take over their registration.:D

FWIW, this is only the second distance ride where I've had any sort of support other than what I pre-arranged before leaving (tire replacement midway though a 4,400 mile ride). Including crossing Nevada solo well away from cell coverage and where I saw more wild horses than people, cars, trucks and motorcycles combined. Frankly, I'm looking forward to having the luxury of carrying spare tires on the support vehicle.
  2. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Top speed is also top cruising speed, 5750 rpm. And it is a four stroke with an 84 handicap. Now sure this is academic, because you are competing and I am not, but wouldn't I be given a significant advantage over you from such a difference in handicap? It appears that they anticipate your scooter would easily outrun mine on a long trip, which is unlikely. Mine easily achieves 57 on the flat and will climb a long 5% grade in high gear at 40-45mph. I can adjust the main jet for altitude in ten minutes. I have a lot of confidence in you, and will be cheering for you when you race, but I would like to understand this better.
  3. Motovista

Motovista Go Fast, See Nothing

Oddometer:
    I couldn't have said it better. If someone makes a video game of the scooter cannonball and one of the scooters is your Heinkel, exactly as you describe it, it would probably win every time, except if you get eaten by the bear. The problem you run into is that you have to get up every morning for ten mornings in a row and ride over 350 miles. That's when all this amazing stuff your Heinkel is capable of really bears fruit.
    I think DeBinChe is going to be a fierce competitor on his Honda, the reason I would have gone with the SH150 if I had his choice of bikes is that in the event, Godzilla Forbid, something happens to slow him down, he can make up time on the SH150 because it goes faster than the speed limit in most places. In the ideal world where your Heinkel and his 110 meet blue skies and sunshine every morning, the roads are clear, you can ride all day wide open and nothing happens, he is at an advantage because of the handicap. Once that changes, the advantage disappears because he can't make up time by riding faster than he should
  4. DaBinChe

DaBinChe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually with your handicap your scoot would beat mine. With my new gearing I can do 55mph all day long . I regularly climb over the Santa Cruz Mtns. twice a day four days a week and have never dropped below 45mph. That is when it is cold, when warm/hot my bike runs even stronger and can almost maintain 50mph. I basically go over 2000ft in under 10miles, what ever that comes out to in grade. Cool thing about my bike is that it is able to maintain high speeds surprisingly well in head wind, up hill, even two up. It's limitation has always been too low of gearing. The section of the CBR where I'll have a disadvantage is when we leave the mountains and get into the flatlands. This is where them big bikes can really open it up and take advantage of their top speed...but the thing with that is that they have to be concern about cops, traffic and such. In the mountains with the light weight and agility of the elite and my skill I will out run most everyone.

The SCBR is not just about the bike but also navigation, preparedness, etc....basically overall average speed is all that really matters. Those guys with the 123 handicap will have to be almost 30% faster average speed then me to beat me. So if I have an average speed of 50mph they will need to have an ave speed of 65mph. 65mph average doesn't seem like much but is pretty difficult to maintain even on a motorcycle. 50mph average is optimistic for me, pessimistic would be 40mph ave which means them guys with the 123 handicap still need to ave 52mph..this is much more do able for them. I'm gonna try to keep as close to an 50mph average as I can.

Or you can look at it this way, if I can average 50mph in 350miles it will take me 7hours they need to be able to go that same distance in 30% shorter time then me which is a little under 5hours. 350miles in 5hours is very difficult even on a motorcycle. 350miles in 5hours is what it take me to drive from SJ to LA on I5, and I'm doing about 80mph.
  5. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I might have to get another SR50 to try this competition out. That would be a handicap there!
  6. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your scooter is a curiosity to me. I have had a CH125 since it was new in 1984. It has the kind of pep and very good hill climbing ability you describe in yours. I think from my experience with that scooter one advantage you can use is fuel economy. You will not need to stop as often for fuel, which could be helpful. If you could carry a modest amount of extra fuel you would have unusual flexibility. What will hurt a lot of competitors is that they will always be needing fuel, many scooters use a lot under duress and have too small fuel tanks. I understand what you describe about maintaining speed with the CVT, running always in the best torque band is a fine place to be. Thanks for the reply.
  7. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    An early 80s 125 or 150 Elite would be a good bike for this. Very light and powerful, but a downside would be the carburetor. The handicap would be 88 for the 125. With a better seat it might do well. The 125 weighs a mere 216 lb. and the 150 must be about the same. I think DaBinChe has a good concept going here, with the FI. He will be running under familiar conditions at high altitude and have no complications. High altitude, particularly changing altitude, will really mess some riders up. He will need no adjustments and will have predictable fuel stops.
  8. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we will all enjoy the day by day adventures, and wish we were doing it. As long as no one gets eaten by the bear. There is nothing else like this race. I hope the next one is east of the Mississippi.
  9. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does the route head through Vegas?
  10. cdwise

Oddometer:
    No, why would a route between Hyder, AK and New Orleans, LA go that far west?

FWIW, on stated goal of the folks who planned the route was to stay in the mountains as long as possible because who really wants to ride through North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas (gag) any more than they have to?

If you want route info check the general discussion forum on http://scootercannonball.com. Each day's route is laid out in its own thread.
  11. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that I see the map, it is as direct as it gets.
  12. Motovista

Oddometer:
    Usually they cross the country, but after doing it as long as they have, I think they were bored and put this out there, and people voted for it thinking nobody else would, and suddenly they found themselves Alaska bound. The problem with an event like this is that even if it starts or ends near where you live, the other end is a long way away. I probably should have done the last one, because it started 90 miles from my house, but I still would have ended up in San Diego.
  13. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    This is going to be good. I can't wait to read the ride reports!
  14. Motovista

Oddometer:
    You're in luck, it goes right past the Cook County Jail. Look out your window, I'll be sure to wave.
    And if you wait long enough, you'll get to see DaBinChe too, right before you see the Yamaha C3.:rofl:rofl:rofl
  15. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your route is easy access for me ;) My ride can help karma catch up to you.
  16. Motovista

Oddometer:
    All you need is a bike that can make it.:norton And gas money.
  17. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Keep talking George. I predict your Piaggio product will not make it to the finish line. That cheap Chinese aftermarket junk you're peddling will cause a DNF.

Is there a place to make wagers on who can't make it to the finish?

I think I found you on rip off report as well. Shady ops with multiple websites? You are Moped Medic as well?

Motovista. Now I see your number.
  18. Motovista

Oddometer:
    What a buffoon. Even if there was a place to make wagers, you aren't in a position to do so.
  19. Motovista

Oddometer:
    We've had a Honda Elite 110 in the shop for service. It's a fairly rare bike here, and someone asked if it was for sale. I explained that it's a service bike and he said that's too bad, because they are very fast for a small bike. Apparently they are very popular in Hawaii, where he's from. I was hoping to hear they are slow and prone to breakdown.
  20. cdwise

Oddometer:
    Nope, Honda Elites do very well for their size. We've had a few in our local scooter group over the years. Seem pretty bullet proof too judging by the age/condition of the ones I've seen.