ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Should Lane Splitting be legal in all 50 States?
YES it should be made legal 1,490 76.84%
YES but ONLY on the Hwy 93 4.80%
YES but only for filtering at controlled intersections 219 11.29%
NO It is dangerous and should not be made legal 185 9.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1939. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #601
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
No, no I didn't miss it but any time those words get put together is that way it always warrants a Fish Slap.
Old 09-07-2013, 03:50 PM   #602
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
Its like time travel, but its real
That sums it up nicely.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:05 PM   #603
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,164
More lane splitting - yes please, make it legal!!

I was zipping around ATL yesterday, running errands on the Zuma 125 - super beautiful day and good way to knock out the list in this busy city. Scooter haters be silent, I own some 'real' motos too.

Without writing too much - I was making a lane split in stopped traffic to advance in acres of unused tarmac (4 lanes v'ing to 2 x 2) which ignited scooter hating Sequoia. The split was to last but one car - just the Sequoia then the road was mine. I’d scale the infraction at 1.5 / 10. I lit indicator to convey intentions and he went for block - his wife must have run off with another man on a Zuma. He got to within 6” of car next to him so successful. When all the lights went green off we go. I give him the wanker hand as council to relieve some of his pent tension which really fires him up!!

He’s still in front of me and starts slamming on the brakes and lurching his car in attempt to scare me (I’m laughing my ass off - what a pussy!) This is where it gets awesome - so far just another day driving the ATL. I see a black Escalade coming in hot. He’s in the right lane so gets up next to me and rolls down his window starts shouting “Is Sequoia trying to hurt you?!?!?!” I’m in my helmet so respond with both hands in air - WTF!! Escalade throttles past me through a couple of lights before he gets next to Sequoia and everyone ends up pinned by red. Dude from Escalade jumps out of car and he’s a massive hulk of a man. Runs over to Sequoia driver's window and starts shouting at portly dude in Sequoia ‘What the fuck are you doing!!! Guy’s on a bike you fucking asshole!! Get out of your truck!! I’m going to kick your ass!!” Mr Sequoia probably shit himself. I’m really laughing now, telling Escalade no worries and many thanks my good brother!!

GA Junior Golf tag - JG 2913 - keep an eye out for the POS!!
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 04-27-2014 at 03:13 PM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:09 PM   #604
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,438
Old 04-27-2014, 05:47 PM   #605
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,735
So awesome.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:41 PM   #606
Aj Mick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Lane splitting is normal everywhere I have ridden…..

….. which includes at least 15 different nations. I am surprised it is illegal in some American states.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #607
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,334
the answer is YES!!

taking out side view mirrors one cager at a time across this great land

(and alaska 'n hawaii, of course. so the 48 mainland and them, too )
Old 04-27-2014, 10:50 PM   #608
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

that is meant to be tongue 'n cheek, btw. lest someone burst into this fine thread and accuse me of shenanigans on the road!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 11:06 PM   #609
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I can't imagine how annoying it would be to ride a motorcycle in a country/state where you couldn't lane split. It reduces traffic congestion and travel time for everyone, motorcyclist and car driver alike.
Old 04-28-2014, 01:53 AM   #610
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

yup, that is true

just to be serious for a moment (if i can manage that lol) i understand its a non issue for those who live in less populated towns and cities, and many fall of the side of "illegal" because laws it would seem are hard to change. and with such a small amount of motorcyclists on the road what would be the motivation of any politician to push for this? it might even be unpopular where its proposed

opposition? i don't understand that, especially if by fellow riders in traffic congested cites. and yet others think (according to the poll) only at controlled intersections. which would be much better then nothing and keep me riding

but do these voters also think no freeway splitting, or the slowest moving cars in front of you? that is natural when a space is there for a bike, and you're riding one.

anyway enough of that. didn't give a mind to riding a bike for many years and have driven all over the state, and for many years in SoCal. the lane splitters didn't bother me then, in fact i barely noticed 'em. and when i did i honestly did not think one way or another about them. let them do what they do

and so i still feel that way about it. i like that one video on youtube where the guy says "its just what motorcycles do." pretty much sums it up for me

but all 50? i say "let the states decide." trouble is they never will one way or another. a nice shade of gray on the matter is the best many can do
Old 04-28-2014, 10:23 AM   #611
Rgconner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
I bet if someone tried to pass a "no Passing" law, making you go as slow as the slowest vehicle there would be a great outcry, even though it is exactly what they are saying to us....

but we don't do ourselves any favors as a group, what with loud pipes, 100MPH+ on public roads, and other stupid stunts.
Rgconner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM   #612
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
I bet if someone tried to pass a "no Passing" law, making you go as slow as the slowest vehicle there would be a great outcry, even though it is exactly what they are saying to us....

but we don't do ourselves any favors as a group, what with loud pipes, 100MPH+ on public roads, and other stupid stunts.
They tried that in France - no overtaking/white-lining/filtering. So they organised a protest where each bike would take the same space as a car - and brought Paris to a standstill. They also organised hundreds, and maybe thousands, of bikers to use the Metro in full gear. Broke that as well :) Fun and games.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #613
Deltron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
They tried that in France - no overtaking/white-lining/filtering. So they organised a protest where each bike would take the same space as a car - and brought Paris to a standstill. They also organised hundreds, and maybe thousands, of bikers to use the Metro in full gear. Broke that as well :) Fun and games.
They should do this in every city!! to get filtering legalized get a bunch of bikers and go in a single file line take up shit ton of space.
Deltron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #614
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
….. which includes at least 15 different nations. I am surprised it is illegal in all but one American state, and it's neither legal nor illegal in that one.
Repaired.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:13 PM   #615
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Repaired.
Actually pretty sure that there are a 5-6 other states that don't have specific prohibitions about lane splitting. I'm also really sure that you don't want to try it in front of a cop in any of them.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote