Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,404
I got stung in the neck by five bees in less than two years a few years back. Four of them were honey bees and one was some nasty little black thing that crawled down my neck, stinging me as it went. I don't believe wearing a yellow helmet increases the odds, but I was wearing a yellow helmet in all of those cases.

The only way I know to avoid bee stings is to be 100% covered so that they can't get to your skin. It's amazing how a bee can find that four square inches of exposed skin under your chin. Wearing a Buff covering my neck solves the bee problem, but is not comfortable in the hot weather, when bees are most likely to be out.

I find it interesting that you can hit a bee at 60 mph and it can sting you before it dies.

Also, be sure you get the stinger out. The first time I experienced the 60 mph bee to the neck thing, I thought I had removed the stinger, but hadn't. I rode for four more hours before I finally got that thing out. Since then I look in a mirror and remove the stinger. A credit card seems to work okay to scrape it off.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #17
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,120
Aspivenin is a good tool to remove a sting. If you have to use pliers be very careful to get it completely and avoid pressing more venom into your system!

If allergic to bee stings: have counter medicine with you and a first aid bracelet.

RZ-mask are excellent protection against pollen, dust and micro polluents. Comfortable enough to be used in hot weather.

A silk rag is good protection too. Bonus feature: wet it for extra cooling.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #18
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesaid
You know, this ride was pretty bee-ful. I don't like hitting them, both because they are pretty solid to hit, and because I don't want to kill the bees. I have to admit though, the one that got inside my helmet while we were at speed on a trafficked road with little to no good places to pull off, that one was a bit un-nerving. Watching her walk around on the inside of my face shield, then feeling her crawl through my beard before going back to the face shield, all while I try to figure out where I can safely stop...

Hopefully this was one of those events that alters your perception of time, and the bee and I didn't cover all that much distance together. So when I did come to a stop, and ushered her out of my helmet, she was able to find her way back to the hive. Presumably to do one of those little bee dances informing her fellow workers that my beard is not a viable source of nectar nor pollen.
This thread reminded me of my own bee experience (excerpt from one of my own posts). good times, good times...

MV
Old 04-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
I'm allergic and carry an epi-pen.

Tweny some years of riding and I've never been stung while on the bike.

ATGATT, but nothing special. I probably have my visor up more often than down.

All my stings have happened in the woods - either working(surveyor) or just hiking.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
I got stung on a bollock once whilst riding - was the quickest emergency stop ever - not to mention the speed with which I stripped down to my bare arse so I could extract the bee. Walked like John Wayne for 3 days after that cos of the size of my plum.

And back to the OT - my bro became allergic to stings - dead in 30 minutes if not treated - and he carried a pen for a fair few years but one day, as part of regular allergy testing - he wasn't any more. Doesn't stop him freaking the fuck out when he hears one mind you - the bloody wuss - chances are very reasonable that he won't die, don't know what all the fuss is about.

Anyway - the point being, if you're allergic, and your doctor will confirm, follow your doctors instructions.

Does anyone else keep reading the thread title and think "veterinarian"? I assume it's meant to mean "veteran"...but hey! Who knows...veteran at what? being stung? There's good vets, and old vets but no good, old vets?

catweasel67 screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 02:15 PM Reason: grammar and spelling - do unto thyself so that thy may do unto others
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
Newbee21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
For pollen's and such the cheep paper filters some people wear
to stop cold viruses work. Bee's, wasps, and yellow jackets are
just part of the ride, the B25 bugs in the AZ desert are indeed
like hitting a b25 bomber , at 70 mph knocked me right off the bike!!

After everyone stopped laughing got back on the bike and rode on!
Fun days!!
Newbee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #22
Rango
Phaneropter

Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post

Does anyone else keep reading the thread title and think "veterinarian"? I assume it's meant to mean "veteran"...but hey! Who knows...veteran at what? being stung? There's good vets, and old vets but no good, old vets?

Yep, I did. Silly me.

Got hit by something big to the helmet. At the time I thought it to be a branch and glad I stayed upright. By the looks of the debris smeared out over the side however it was clearly some sort of giant cricket. Surely atgatt doesn't work for insects; maybe hi-viz could?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #23
ncsonderman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Scotty,

I'm allergic to bees and have been riding for over 20 years. 2 stings in that time. 1st was when I was an ignorant and wearing a small tank top with my weight belt on while on the way home from the gym ( check out these guns people!). Bee flew in under my arm and caught between my weight belt and skin. FAIL. What a douche!

2nd I did have full gear and a full screen on my RT. Bee caught me just above the collar of my riding coat and below my full face helmet. Had a wicked reaction as I found out when I arrived home and stripped down to shower. Horrible rash and itched like hell. Sent pics to a dermatologist friend who bitched at me for not already being in the ER. Lucky my airway didn't swell.

Bottom line is I still ride as much as ever, just carry an Epi-pen with you and let your group know where it is. The proper gear is important as well to cover you.

Just ride and ride well prepared.

13' GSA (Triple Black)
02' Futura (The Millennium Falcon)
ncsonderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:00 AM   #24
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,934
I get stung a few times a year on average, usually on the neck. If you ride enough it will happen. You need to find out if you are allergic. If so get epi pens.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:09 PM   #25
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Funny thing is, you may have been stung many times over your life and never have had a bad reaction.
The next sting may cause a life threatening anaphylactic reaction.
If you are out in the sticks it may not be a bad idea to carry an Epi-pen as Lucifer suggests or at least some Benadryl. Always consult your Doc first though.
Toto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #26
Lucas602
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Coincidently, source local honey from where you live, or as local as possible, and eat a few tablespoons a day. I put it in coffee. Haven't taken allergy medication in years, and I have bad allergies, yet I'm still the outdoorsy type.

It has something to do with the enzymes that break down pollen boost your immune system in the same fashion. Hence why you source it locally, to match your current allergens. However, I still don't have problems traveling.
Lucas602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #27
M Singer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
I am allergic to bees and i get shots every 5 weeks that provide me with an immunity to the stings. I know that the shots work because I have been stung several times with no effect other then the sting.

To the Op I highly recommend that you see an allergist and discuss getting shots.
M Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 PM   #28
doxiedog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I know,you CAN be stung through a yellow mesh jacket!
Every year, the orchards are lined with hives here.
I get nailed at least once,every spring.
I hit at least a dozen,thunk!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #29
Hesaid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiedog View Post
Oranges now, almonds on the westside a month or so ago... They're everywhere!

MV
Old 04-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #30
Rango
Phaneropter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiedog View Post

So much for hi-viz vests.