Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTortoise View Post
So... wearing bright colors, honking the horn and dramatized bobbing and weaving ?

You'll either navigate safely through traffic or attract a mate
Old 04-19-2014, 03:19 PM   #32
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 850
I think it also helps to keep cars from running up your backside. A controlled weave is (hopefully) going to catch the eye of the driver who is otherwise looking right through you as you slow up for the light.

I'm for anything that makes me more visible.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #33
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 7,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbedonnie View Post
You get snow in Florida?
Occasionally, yes. We actually DO get snow in FL. The panhandle sees some about every 2-3 yrs. I also occasionally ride farther away from home than the nearest Starbucks, and I haven't always lived in FL. I moved here about 3.5yrs ago. I've been riding for considerably longer than that.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:02 PM   #34
Jamesx2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I use it every time Im on the bike . Thanks for the new tool
Jamesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #35
jimhaleyscomet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Use it all the time!

I do a mild weave almost all the time because of where I place my bike relative to other drivers and possible deer (i.e. as far as possible away from the most likely threats). When a car approaches from the opposite direction I check my mirror then move over to the right of my lane just before it passes. After it passes I check my mirror then move back over to the left hand side. As the next oncoming car gets close, I move back right again then left after it passes and repeat as necessary. The idea is to stay as far away from animals (and folks pulling out from the right) as much as possible but keep away from cars approaching me at a closing speed of 60 - 120 mph. Remember "stationary" objects on the right are still approaching at closing speeds of 30 - 60mph. I figure every time I change lane positions I help them see me (and my hi vis jacket and white helmet).

If there is no traffic in the opposing lane and I see someone on the right I will weave but start and end in the left. If there are lots of traffic and intersections I weave almost continuously but still try to keep as much space between me and other vehicles as possible. I try to time my weaving so I always am weaving away from the closest threat. Sure makes riding a bit more interesting. It is like a straight road is curved!

When coming to a stop with traffic behind me I weave as I slow down, ending the weave lined up to scoot around the car in front of me if necessary.

Once I was riding home at night about 30mph (35mph road) after an event and there was a ton of slow moving traffic going both directions and many intersections for them to turn into as well (Prime left turner candidates). I weaved a bit too far in my lane (occasionally I could see my headlight light up faces in the opposing traffic). A police officer in the opposing traffic lit me up with his spotlight. I assume he did not like what I was doing. I continued to weave but just not as severe so I did not "blind" oncoming drivers with my headlight.
jimhaleyscomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #36
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 583
Likewise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
I do this at any intersection with a person waiting to turn if I'm not confident that they have seen me.
Not just for people turning left either, people waiting to turn right onto the road can be just as bad.
Any time I am coming up to an intersection where there is a vehicle present I instinctively move across the road in anticipation of it moving out in front of me. If the vehicle starts to move off, another change of direction takes me away from a collision course, plus adds to my visibility.

It is not really a learned manoeuvre, more something developed from experience. Attitude is important too. Ride aware - Legally you may have right of way, but don't always expect it.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #37
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aj Mick View Post
Any time I am coming up to an intersection where there is a vehicle present I instinctively move across the road in anticipation of it moving out in front of me. If the vehicle starts to move off, another change of direction takes me away from a collision course, plus adds to my visibility.

It is not really a learned manoeuvre, more something developed from experience. Attitude is important too. Ride aware - Legally you may have right of way, but don't EVER expect it.
Feexted
Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #38
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMick
Ride aware - Legally you may have right of way, but don't always expect it.
...but who wants to be dead right? Expect the unexpected.

--Bill
Old 04-29-2014, 10:36 AM   #39
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,019
I always liked this video explanation. I'd been doing the "weave" since 1985, but while I knew it worked, I didn't know why it worked.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:58 PM   #40
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
I use it on two occasions. The first being when I've been following a car for a while and want to remind him/her that I'm still there. And the second when I'm bored :)

I don't swerve at, or near, or approaching, junctions but I do increase my visibility to the junction by changing my road position accordingly whilst making myself aware of escape routes. Oh, and I make myself bigger and growl.

As for cars behind me, I own my lane but like to keep an eye on them until I'm aware of their intentions, or lack thereof.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote