Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #46
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Works out well for the firefighters. They don't like taking old lady medicals and still get to come out for the big crashes.

I did fire years ago, but left it for EMS. Thanks for your service in the Fire arena.

Same to you. You guys never get the praise you deserve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #47
filmfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethro303 View Post
Same to you. You guys never get the praise you deserve.
A big thank you to all the ems, fire, and leo pros.

Here's hoping our paths never cross when you are working
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #48
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
If the crash didn't break your neck taking the helmet off sure isn't!
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #49
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgc2310 View Post
Well, this is not the type of response I wanted to support with my poo poo of the stickers.

You certainly CAN damage a rider further by improperly removing a helmet after a crash. I just think the odds of adding a sticker preventing that are too low to even bother with.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #50
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/mugs...s-sticker.html
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:53 AM   #51
streakerfreak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfgc2310 View Post
Its pretty much common knowledge that you can still sever your spinal cord after any kind accident. Why do you think they strap you to a backboard and make sure your head and neck are immobile when they take you away in an ambulance?
streakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:26 PM   #52
ravinerat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Been a Paramedic in Canada for 18 yrs now. Sorry didn't 't read all the responses after the first 3 pages. I do not look for stickers on helmets, labels inside helmets. I may look for a medic alert bracelet or neckless if your unconscious. Everything else's you can verbally tell me. I do not go into people's wallets due to the liability. I will take a wallet with me or hand it to the police if it is handed to me on scene. Although ICE is a great feature on a cell phone most cell phones are separated from the patient at an accident. I will take it to the hospital so they can follow up. I have protocols to follow for helmet removed. If back boarding a person with a helmet on your probably going to hyperextend the neck instead of neutral alignment. Most ppl have removed their helmet before I have gotten there. Helmets also impedance airway care if unconscious and will be removed. Just my 2 cents.

RR
Old 04-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #53
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinerat View Post
Been a Paramedic in Canada for 18 yrs now. Sorry didn't 't read all the responses after the first 3 pages. I do not look for stickers on helmets, labels inside helmets. I may look for a medic alert bracelet or neckless if your unconscious. Everything else's you can verbally tell me. I do not go into people's wallets due to the liability. I will take a wallet with me or hand it to the police if it is handed to me on scene. Although ICE is a great feature on a cell phone most cell phones are separated from the patient at an accident. I will take it to the hospital so they can follow up. I have protocols to follow for helmet removed. If back boarding a person with a helmet on your probably going to hyperextend the neck instead of neutral alignment. Most ppl have removed their helmet before I have gotten there. Helmets also impedance airway care if unconscious and will be removed. Just my 2 cents.

RR
I am a FF/EMT here in Massachusetts (21 years). Our SOG's have us operate exactly as ravinerat states above. Everyone on our department is trained to deal with helmets, c-spine precautions, back-boarding etc. We DO look for medical ID bracelets/anklets and provide necessary care as noted there if needed. We have NO training, orders, or SOG's that tell us to look for and heed anyone else's instructions (except those from someone with a higher level of training (ie, para or MD) or a legal DNR. Therefore we would NOT follow the instructions on a helmet sticker. The stickers MAY be useful in keeping bystanders who do not have proper training from improperly removing a helmet, which may be what the OP had in mind anyway.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #54
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 7,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinerat View Post

RR
If I might slightly hijack this thread - what information is of most value to you guys when it comes to bracelets/dog tags etc. Only allergies? Blood type? Weird diseases? Name? Passport number & nationality?
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Robert E. Howard
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:46 PM   #55
flei
queasy rider

Oddometer: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
If I might slightly hijack this thread - what information is of most value to you guys when it comes to bracelets/dog tags etc. Only allergies? Blood type? Weird diseases? Name? Passport number & nationality?
Most important info. for EMT: Name. DOB. Allergies (serious ones, like stings that cause anaphylaxis, and med. allergies, not just "hay fever" etc.). Known serious or relevant medical conditions (eg, diabetes, tachycardia, etc. not hemorrhoids etc.). Blood type. Emergency contact phone #.

I wear a "Road ID" ($20) on my wrist with this info on it.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #56
ravinerat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
everythihng about your medical Hx is important but depending on what is going on from Trauma to Medical we really need it at different stages.We all carry driver licenses or some other ID so that info will be conveyed at the hospital when needed. Now we are only talking about unconcious pts' A medical alert stating drug allergies is the most important. Everyone should carry a medicatin list on them of what they are taking. By looking at that I know what conditions you have. I can get that when the police go through your wallet. If your an unconcious trauma victim then we are doing other things from Airway management, Fluid relacement and IV access incase you need certian drugs. We have protocals to follow and your conditin dictates that. One thing we do is try to figure out why you had the accident by talking to witness. The incodent Hx may lead to finding out the person was clutching their chest before the accident indicating a possible heart attack. to swerving all over the road or a drunk apearance indicating a diabetic. So it is a whole picture that is important.

RR
Old 04-29-2014, 04:14 AM   #57
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627

Quote:
“I can’t see - I’m blind.”

“I think you just have your helmet on backwards.”
The Backwards Spaceman - Doctor Who 'The Doctor, the Widow, and the Wardrobe' (Christmas 2011)

Having one's helmet on correctly right at the beginning eliminates many problems.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #58
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,728
Here you go, try this.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/3062.html

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #59
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by flei View Post
The stickers MAY be useful in keeping bystanders who do not have proper training from improperly removing a helmet, which may be what the OP had in mind anyway.
That's what I have in mind, for sure! I am not worried about trained people, because I expect EMTs/ER docs/etc to know what they are doing.

Good to know the desired info, though.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #60
oceansfiftyseven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
http://www.amazon.com/CAUTION-INJURE...aution+sticker
oceansfiftyseven is offline   Reply With Quote