Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #1
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Oddometer: 6,120
What a day.

Nice and sunny, 60F, no wind.
Its been a long hard winter, with few nice days for any sort of riding.
Well, today I went dirt riding on my old xt200, which is running very well.
Its light (240 pounds), has good suspension, and a very nice power band, and the fact that it cost me $500.00 makes it run like a KTM.

Got some nice dirt riding in, the dirt is only 6 miles from my house.
Got lost, had fun dodging the mud holes, got a nice workout riding fast and hard, did NOT fall and need to go to the hospital.

Got home, hosed the bike off, went to the store on my TU250 for food, stuff to make BBQ kabobs, and took the long way home, doing my road racing thing (at low speed on the TU). Did not get any tickets, or have to go to the hospital.

Cooked the food, the BBQ did not explode or run out of gas, no burns needing hospitalization, that makes 3 wins in one day.

Its going to be a great summer.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #2
VTphoneman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Nice got to love it when it all comes together. Spent my day bleeding from a heated grip install related injury . Its all good though it was worth it now I can commute in comfort this week.
VTphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Buzzbomber
Not Dr. Who...

Oddometer: 1,226
Yep. My 6 year old did her first solo laps around the yard on her XR50 today. What a day, indeed!
Old 04-07-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Spring is great, the bugs are not out yet, the air is clean, it was warm out, but not hot, so wearing a jacket is nice, not a chore.

Many miles of dirt/woods, fun light bikes to ride, things are moist so dust is low.

All my limbs were mostly working well, low level of back pain, vision going, but that makes going fast more of a thrill, plenty of panic braking practice.

The PO removed all the baffles from the exhaust, and I put in a plumbing reducer, its not loud, but its not quiet, and it sounds good.

For a 200cc motor, its got a lot of low end grunt, yet it likes to scream as well. I suspect the light weight of the bike helps a lot.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,220
High of 50!

I am determined to get my scooter out today. Only 150 ft. of ice and snow to blast through. The Polar Vortex Ice Pack will start melting again in a few hours.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
I'm glad I live in the south. Even though this has been the coldest winter anyone can remember down here, we still have had plenty of chances to ride this year. I have ridden over 3000 miles so far this year. Most of those miles have been on my scooters but I did get my old XT350 out this weekend:

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Yes, I managed to get about 250 miles on the xt200 because I do not care what it looks like (salt).

The street bike got MUCH less use because of all the snow, salt, snow, rain, salt, snow, 10F days, snow, etc.

I think there was snow on the ground (at least in some places) for over 6 weeks at least. And that means salt and water.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Yes, I managed to get about 250 miles on the xt200 because I do not care what it looks like (salt).

The street bike got MUCH less use because of all the snow, salt, snow, rain, salt, snow, 10F days, snow, etc.

I think there was snow on the ground (at least in some places) for over 6 weeks at least. And that means salt and water.
It sounds like you did have a good day. The kid and I had a great 200 mile day ride into the hills yesterday. Although the temp was in the mid 50s and even hit 60, there is still snow on the ground in more shaded areas, as shown in this stream side pic I took.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:02 PM   #9
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Put a new clutch in the XT200, mostly because it was so cheap to do, and took the bike out for a blast.
What a FUN bike it is, 240 pounds or maybe less, plenty of suspension, and the motor runs really well.
Its REALLY easy to go fast on this bike in the dirt.
Maybe its the light weight, but its hard to remember its only a 200 cc motor.

I think these bikes were much better then most people though back in the day (1982).

On the way home, I stopped and looked at a newer dr200 that was for sale (in Atco) and it felt like a heavy pig compared to the old XT, and it is 40 pounds heavier.

I think this bike is the best $500.00 bike I ever got.
Old 04-13-2014, 05:32 PM   #10
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Got a nice ride in today, and had some guys on modern bikes pass me going the other way, so I thought I might ride with them a bit.
They went down a whooped out single track trail and lost me ain about 3 minutes.
Rather then doubt my riding skills, I am going to think modern KTM's have some sort of advantage over a 32 year old XT 200.

Well, I suppose when they fall, they will be falling faster and harder then me.

They sure did have Atco screwed up though, so sort of monster thing going on at the drag strip had many roads all jammed up with traffic.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:24 PM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,101
Wondrous day. It'll be rainy during the next week, so I motored over (45 miles and back) to a bike shop to pick up some Golden Spectro for my Springtime major service oil change.

Got the oil, went out to the bike and... FLAT TIRE. Phooey. Fortunately one of the shop guys was in and agreed to do me a quick tube replacement after I removed the wheel. Done, and $30 later I was on the road again....

Never figgur'd why the dang tire went flat-- no nail, couldn't find any holes in the tube (besides some stretch/ripping around the valve stem, which was expected). And I didn't notice any squirrelly handling at Interstate speeds on the way over, so who knows. Mebbe it was just it's time to go...

Anyways, good ride there, nice ride back with a moment of drama. And on a rainy Monday I'll swing wrenches at the bike...

Can life get much better?
Old 04-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #12
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Got a new back tire for the xt today, a kenda k270 to replace the non dot knobbie that is almost bald in the center, and is only a 4.10 not a 4.60 like its supposed to be.
It was 1/4 used up when I got the bike, but in only 300 miles, its about 75% gone.
Just waiting for the new tube to arrive...
Old 04-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #13
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Another great day, the bike is running great, light, easy to ride hard, the weather has been great, light rain over night to settle the sand and dust, great fun dodging the mud holes, sunny, cool, no bugs yet.
Got lost like I always do, but forgot to fill up with gas before entering the forrest, and when done, the bike took 1.2 gallons for 84 miles on the trip meter, not on reserve. The new Kenda K270 works really well on this bike.

I ran into a guy on a wr250 and we sat on each others bike, and agreed a lower seat is nice in the sand and tight stuff.

Pic:
http://n2dts.smugmug.com/Motorcycle-stuff/i-dn8WgPD/A
Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #14
NJ-Brett OP
Brett

Put my boots on today, and lucky I did, I spent a bit of time going through some very large mud holes.
I came across a guy pushing a Husky down the trail, total electrical failure, and was trying to hook him up with a guy in a truck, or find a rope to tow him with.
Once he was taken care of, it was on to riding.

I got a good ride in to Atson lake, then to Batstow, then back on a different trail. 50 miles all told, very nice weather.
The old XT is running great.
A very good bike for around here, 50 to 55 mph on the trails is as fast as is smart, and 55 mph is fast enough on the streets connecting things, range is good, and the very light weight does great in the sand and mud holes.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,403
This thread makes me want to take my wife's DR350 out and get it dirty.

I love cheap vintage stuff that runs great.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote