Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,579
It was a week to get the surgery and at the end of that time I was already gaining mobility and the shoulder was feeling better. I only used the hydrocodone for the night of the injury and when I had the DR check it out on Tuesday.

By next Tuesday the day of the surgery the arm and shoulder were feeling a little better and healing of the bone had begun I assume.

For the surgery and I'm guessing about this, though. I assume the bone had soft osteocytes forming and not completely hard so the bonds had to be broke loose to reapproximate the bone ends. Then I'm pretty sure muscle had to be cut to visualize the break, and also periostium and fibers would need to be cut free of the bone for the plate to be secured. After surgery I was back on pain meds for two days as it was uncomfortable. Seems to be a little more sensitive now but this is due to the nature of the repair. Plus a little lack of feeling at operative sight, not sure if this will go away.

I'm not sure what to expect for joint mobility at this point. The shoulder is stiff and shoulder movement is done with assistance from my right hand. Small steps, but small gains every day.

I chose the plate and screw because that seemed the best way to do the repair. I didn't want to compromise the joint and figured if allowing it to heal in place would leave the clavicle shorter and at a weird angle...not the way God put me together. The DR said either way would be acceptable, but I asked if it were him which he would do?? He said plate and screws. Sure just letting it heal would be cheaper, but it doesn't take long to forget about the money and this is the best way for the repair..and I know that.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 05-01-2014 at 07:21 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #17
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,117
In my case, I broke the scapula and clavicle, plus other stuff.
I did not get any plates or screws, maybe because of the other injuries I had, but the bone had/has a nice offset to it.
I have odd lumps, plus things are not exactly where they belong, so all the tendons are unhappy I think.

It was not bad after it healed up, but then using it hard caused problems that do not go away. Range of motion is fine, strength is fine, its just painfull, like one of those things in your neck/shoulder when you sleep wrong and something is out of place, only it does not go away.

I think you were smart to get things lined up, just like a bike, if something is bent/twisted, the bike will never feel right.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #18
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,348
Richard
The feeling did come back in the area for me. It took a couple of weeks and things really started getting better. I am in my 5th week now, some days it feels great, some not so great.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:50 AM   #19
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

NJ-Brett---oh that sounds terribly painful.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
NJ-Brett
Brett

Its not, its just always there.
The important thing to me is the arm still works (so I can ride).
I can only guess that screwing things back together into alignment would give a better long term result when it involves joints, tendons, muscles, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
NJ-Brett---oh that sounds terribly painful.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #21
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Picts one week post op. I was on Percocet (3.5) for two days after surgery. Just one every 6 hours. Still numb at operative sight, but mobility slowly getting better.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 07:56 PM
Old 05-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #22
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Well wishes to you Richard. The hardest part for me is not being able to ride. I do sneak out and do a few laps around the field behind the house about once a week.

Phil
Old 05-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #23
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I've done some very simple things, like change jets the BMW and pull spark plugs out of the TR6 (car) but not much more as the muscles get sore pretty easily at this point. I'm not just gonna keep the arm in the sling all the time, light gentle movements are good IMHO. Just can't really do much with the upper arm yet.

I need to get out and ride...or on the water for some sea Kayak paddling...I need to do a multi day trip soon....

Old 05-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #24
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
Dern how did I miss this? Sorry to hear about all the injuries. Forgive me if I try not to join the club.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:04 AM   #25
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,303
I'm sorry to hear this.

Unless your MD prohibits it, try squeezing a tennis ball (or similar) while you are still in the sling.

Heal up!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:37 PM   #26
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

DR wants me in the sling till the 28th...about 3 weeks. I've not been to good with the sling over the last 4-5 days as. Muscles in the shoulder are stiff, but I've been using the arm some. No weight bearing just movement. From the elbow down all is good, when I put stress on the shoulder is when I can tell not to push it. Muscles are sore and tight and pulling where it shouldn't right now.

I've never had an issue with hand or forearm strength. Just when the shoulder muscles get used. If trying to use the shoulder any fatigue sets in and I know not to work it. It gets tired very easy. I can raise the arm past horizontal now, not real fast and with some effort, but it's not too bad and getting better every day. No weight bearing for the arm at this point. Hopefully by the end of next week I can start stretching the arm out and start on some light weights. That depends on what the DR says. He wanted me to remain in the sling till the 28th. I want to start paddling as soon as possible. This will be low impact and good for range of motion. Sea Kayak not whitewater.

Some post wreck observation about the break-
Was talking to a rider at the European Rally in Burksville this past Saturday....no I didn't ride I drove the TR6, but any way we were of course talking about my little accident and he mentioned a possibility that the clavicle could be broken by the edge of my helmet, when my head/helmet hit the ground. Now that is possible, I felt a few impact points on my body. One near my right kidney, my neck... from a helmet hit to the right back side of my head, and two bruises, one at my left shoulder and one just left of my chest at the side.

But thinking about the helmet contributing to the break, it seems very likely that a quick hit could cause the helmet to break the clavicle. I cannot be sure if the break was caused by the helmet or shoulder impact. It makes for a good argument for a Leatt Brace.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:34 PM   #27
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Hey Richard how ya doin? Hope you don't go too crazy waiting to heal up. That was the hard part for me, finding ways to pass time can be a challenge. I did get to go for my first light duty ride today. 7 Weeks of going nuts and finally a little light at the end of the tunnel.

ChromeSux screwed with this post 05-23-2014 at 05:15 PM
Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #28
NJ-Brett
Brett

I never really thought about that, my helmet breaking bones.
I do not remember exactly how I hit, but I can see it would be possible to have your helmet in the picture on some falls with some helmets.
I wonder if one type (3/4) would be better then another (full coverage).
Old 05-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #29
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
DR wants me in the sling till the 28th...about 3 weeks. I've not been to good with the sling over the last 4-5 days as. Muscles in the shoulder are stiff, but I've been using the arm some. No weight bearing just movement. From the elbow down all is good, when I put stress on the shoulder is when I can tell not to push it. Muscles are sore and tight and pulling where it shouldn't right now.

I've never had an issue with hand or forearm strength. Just when the shoulder muscles get used. If trying to use the shoulder any fatigue sets in and I know not to work it. It gets tired very easy. I can raise the arm past horizontal now, not real fast and with some effort, but it's not too bad and getting better every day. No weight bearing for the arm at this point. Hopefully by the end of next week I can start stretching the arm out and start on some light weights. That depends on what the DR says. He wanted me to remain in the sling till the 28th. I want to start paddling as soon as possible. This will be low impact and good for range of motion. Sea Kayak not whitewater.

Some post wreck observation about the break-
Was talking to a rider at the European Rally in Burksville this past Saturday....no I didn't ride I drove the TR6, but any way we were of course talking about my little accident and he mentioned a possibility that the clavicle could be broken by the edge of my helmet, when my head/helmet hit the ground. Now that is possible, I felt a few impact points on my body. One near my right kidney, my neck... from a helmet hit to the right back side of my head, and two bruises, one at my left shoulder and one just left of my chest at the side.

But thinking about the helmet contributing to the break, it seems very likely that a quick hit could cause the helmet to break the clavicle. I cannot be sure if the break was caused by the helmet or shoulder impact. It makes for a good argument for a Leatt Brace.
It wasn't until I read about you being at the European Rally that I went back and looked. I am from Bowling Green too and was at that rally to boot. I was riding my Suzuki Burgman 650 (the black one). Camped in the big tent with the blue tarp thrown over it. My best friend was on his white Honda Transalp. I do have to say the rally was great in spite of the weather. We had been invited to the rally by a couple of guys with the BMW club of Nashville and expected to be the only non-european riders there. We were wrong. A good time was had by all with only one rider going down in the water crossing this year (wasn't me).

Hopefully we can hook up some time so I can buy you a cuppa Joe, maybe at one of our Starbucks here in Bowling Green. I don't ride off pavement any more (due to health issues) but would love to meet and hear of your offroad adventures in person (I miss riding off road).

I hope you heal without issue,
Doug from (Bowling Green) Kentucky
Old 05-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #30
Litemup
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
That is some beautiful scenery in southwestern KY. Glad to see your healing and will be back at it soon.

Best wishes.
Litemup is offline   Reply With Quote