ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #8071
trailrider383
867-5309

Oddometer: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by effensteve View Post
I don't know about "death march", but it was definitely a good spirited ride. It only turned out to be 1034 miles from door to door for me. 407 the first day, 408 the second, then the third was a rest day with only 219 miles. I think we had about 700 miles in the dirt and around 300 of the highway droning. Great ride, I hope my video turns out of Ed trying to get stuck in the mud
I had 1077 miles to my door. How did I get that many more than you?

Yes, it was a great ride!!!
Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #8072
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I've noticed anymore that I only seem to get a year or so out of my bicycle tubes ... always failing around the valve stem ... probably the same Chinese factory making all of the tubes these days

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #8073
dave186
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailrider383 View Post
I had 1077 miles to my door. How did I get that many more than you?

Yes, it was a great ride!!!
I had fun also even though I only got to join you for the last day. Still put in 557 miles and learned a few things about my big KTM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dave186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:12 PM   #8074
bikerlibre
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Jason, I'll keep an eye from now on to make sure my stem is sitting squarely and make sure the nut is snug. It sounds like that may have been the issue. I'll also plan on putting in a new bladder after my next tire change - cheap insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrianmcc View Post
I've noticed anymore that I only seem to get a year or so out of my bicycle tubes ... always failing around the valve stem ... probably the same Chinese factory making all of the tubes these days
I've had an issue a few times in the past on my mnt. bike with valve stem flex but more so with the schraeder valves. The presta valves with their lock-nut helps prevent it. My tubes do only last a year though because I use slime tubes and get goat head punctures. I should probably go tubless.
bikerlibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #8075
obrianmcc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlibre View Post
Jason, I'll keep an eye from now on to make sure my stem is sitting squarely and make sure the nut is snug. It sounds like that may have been the issue. I'll also plan on putting in a new bladder after my next tire change - cheap insurance.

I've had an issue a few times in the past on my mnt. bike with valve stem flex but more so with the schraeder valves. The presta valves with their lock-nut helps prevent it. My tubes do only last a year though because I use slime tubes and get goat head punctures. I should probably go tubless.
Most of my issues have been with self sealing tubes .... Might be the sealant drying out the rubber? .... I hate it when my rubber dries out

OBR ADV Gear
Website - www.obradvgear.com
Facebook - OBR ADV Gear
obrianmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #8076
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,103
RadioMan is in town

Friday May 9th at Happy Trails. Mark spent 31 months on the road covering 26 countries and 6 Continents accumulating some 90,000 miles of saddle time. He also made time to visit the Galapagos and Antarctica.

COME ON OUT

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 05-05-2014 at 06:40 PM
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #8077
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 524
Weekday after work ride

Let's meet at Hawkins Pac-Out at the bottom of Bogus Basin rd at 6:00 again for tomorrow's afterwork ride. On Monday I tried to find a route, staying on the East side of Hwy 55, from Cartwright rd north to Pearl rd, and couldn't find a route through. I went to Horseshoe Bend and tried to go from Harris creek rd to the Boise ridge rd and hit snow. Unless anyone has a better plan, I propose we run last week's route again, in reverse. It will at least seem like a new route that way :)

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #8078
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,208
Mike,
I thought I could make this one, but have to head out eastward for the day and won't make it back in time. Looking forward to next week...
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:13 PM   #8079
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Need to do an oil change on the WRR but I'm going to try to get out and join you. Don't wait for me though, it's a coin flip. If I do join I'll probably drop off at Eagle Rd, that's right around the corner from home.

*EDIT* Oil changed. Wonderful what a little motivation will do. Not to mention the 1.5qt capacity on the WRR, didn't even have to go buy anything. 99% sure I'll see you guys tomorrow.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally

hyperboarder screwed with this post 05-06-2014 at 08:16 PM
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #8080
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 524
Well dang Scott, looking forward to riding with you, join us when you can. Jeff, good deal, now you can come play tomorrow :) I am heading back to Caldwell afterward and will probably split and head west on Pearl while you guys head back into Eagle on Willow creek/Eagle rd.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:15 AM   #8081
DeadOhioSky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Let's meet at Hawkins Pac-Out at the bottom of Bogus Basin rd at 6:00 again for tomorrow's afterwork ride. On Monday I tried to find a route, staying on the East side of Hwy 55, from Cartwright rd north to Pearl rd, and couldn't find a route through. I went to Horseshoe Bend and tried to go from Harris creek rd to the Boise ridge rd and hit snow. Unless anyone has a better plan, I propose we run last week's route again, in reverse. It will at least seem like a new route that way :)
Mike,

Would love to meet up tonight, but can not make it. Even if we did the exact same route in the same direction, it was a really good ride, and a blast meeting you guys. Look forward to the next one.

Thanks for posting and organizing!!
DeadOhioSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #8082
jonnyc21
n00b sums it up.

Oddometer: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Just realized what time it is (5:30 ID time)... can't get there in time now, next time I guess... will put a reminder in the phone next time...
jonnyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #8083
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,023
Nice quiet ride this evening, just the two of us .

I hadn't done the upper section of Pearl (past Sand Hollow) or the old Highway 55 before, those were both a blast. Johnson's Creek in reverse is a lot of fun too, nice change of pace to climb back up what I usually go down.

Looking forward to riding with more of you guys this summer.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #8084
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Ridge to Rivers

It would be good if they got some input from OHVers.

Volunteers needed May 17 to survey Foothills users
Public Information Office Boise Parks & Recreation, City of Boise CITY

Volunteers are sought Saturday, May 17, to conduct a survey of trail users who visit the Foothills. The 6th annual survey will be used in management decisions for the 140 miles of trails and thousands of acres of open space on the Boise Front.
Teams of 2-3 volunteers are needed in four-hour shifts from 7-11 a.m., 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and 3-7 p.m. at 12 trailheads throughout the Boise Foothills.
To sign up online for a volunteer shift, please see http://bit.ly/bprvolunteers and type “Tending our Foothills” in the search box or contact Jerry Pugh, Community Programs Coordinator, at jpugh@cityofboise.org or call (208) 608-7617.
USA
Living the dream.
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #8085
GGAlex
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Big Wood (no, get that out of your mind)

http://www.sharetrails.org/alerts/2014/05/08/idaho--sawtooth-nf-announces-big-wood-travel-management-plan-open-house

These things can end badly for OHVers if there is no well-organized local club. I'm guessing there will be a lot of anti-access second-home types in the Wood River valley that will be happy to see motorized routes closed in the travel management plan.
USA
Living the dream.
GGAlex is offline   Reply With Quote