Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #15916
Mange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Durrr... Took of to clean my air box tonight before installing a new ktm foam airfilter I bought.

Under the airbox I found a few cables that had rubbed open. One to the rear light and one to one the cassettes behind the battery (vortex?) the one closest to the battery.

I used electrical tape to close them up again. Put the airbox back on and fired it up. To my surprise the display went orange but nothing else happened to it, no speedometer, odometer, nothing... Just orange.

Did I short something or did my display die or what? Has anyone seen anything similar? Btw the foam air filter was tight in there... Couldn't get the snorkel lid to sit tight on it. Any ideas there?

Skickat från min C6903 via Tapatalk
Mange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:38 PM   #15917
LethPhaos
brb

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike View Post
Is there any issue with just doing the Throttle calibration again by itself?
I was thinking doing just my throttle only to see if my response changes any. Seems kinda flat.

After my EVO1 download I did do the throttle calibration and the 15 minute idle learn.
no problem at all
LethPhaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #15918
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
"Durrr... Took of to clean my air box tonight before installing a new ktm foam airfilter I bought. Under the airbox I found a few cables that had rubbed open. One to the rear light and one to one the cassettes behind the battery (vortex?) the one closest to the battery. I used electrical tape to close them up again. Put the airbox back on and fired it up. To my surprise the display went orange but nothing else happened to it, no speedometer, odometer, nothing... Just orange. Did I short something or did my display die or what? Has anyone seen anything similar? Btw the foam air filter was tight in there... Couldn't get the snorkel lid to sit tight on it. Any ideas there?"

Might have a broken wire that appeared only to be missing insulation?
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #15919
Mange
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprouty115 View Post
Might have a broken wire that appeared only to be missing insulation?
I was thinking the same but I was careful with them and it felt like they held together well. What can I do check if they are broken and if so, how can it be fixed? I hope I won't need to replace the entire wiring harness

Mange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #15920
sprouty115
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Find the ends of the wires and use a multi-meter to test for continuity while you flex them.
sprouty115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:50 PM   #15921
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mange View Post
I hope I won't need to replace the entire wiring harness
Can't you just splice in new wire to replace the broken area? I realize that is not as good as an unbroken wire but it has to be better than replacing the harness.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #15922
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by LethPhaos View Post
turn on key, wait for fuel to prime and tacho to settle, start engine (no throttle), let run for 15 minutes, turn off key
You need to do Reset Adaptation with KTM diagnostic tool or TuneECU before doing the 15 minute idle procedure. TuneECU does the reset when new maps are loaded. Otherwise it is pretty much a waste of time and gas.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM   #15923
drunkenrich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
You need to do Reset Adaptation with KTM diagnostic tool or TuneECU before doing the 15 minute idle procedure. TuneECU does the reset when new maps are loaded. Otherwise it is pretty much a waste of time and gas.
Can they do this reset adaptation at a dealer?

2010 KTM 690 enduro r
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #15924
lightfighter
where does this go?

Oddometer: 2,169
I've been chasing a couple randomly occurring codes for a while and one early suggestion from I can't remember who was to lift out the battery tray and check that area for abraded wires. Finally got around to it.

Found several chaffed areas on the wrap...some on wires... Nothing looked like a real problem yet... I cut and spliced one wire with heat drink over the repair,,, the rest just got new tape. Two wraps, of tape that I'm sure was 6 times the cost of the "racing tape" KTM used one wrap of.

FFS... How cheap!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mange View Post
Durrr... Took of to clean my air box tonight before installing a new ktm foam airfilter I bought.

Under the airbox I found a few cables that had rubbed open. One to the rear light and one to one the cassettes behind the battery (vortex?) the one closest to the battery.

I used electrical tape to close them up again. Put the airbox back on and fired it up. To my surprise the display went orange but nothing else happened to it, no speedometer, odometer, nothing... Just orange.

Did I short something or did my display die or what? Has anyone seen anything similar? Btw the foam air filter was tight in there... Couldn't get the snorkel lid to sit tight on it. Any ideas there?

lightfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #15925
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenrich View Post
Can they do this reset adaptation at a dealer?
Sure. They will probably charge 1/2 hr labor. Find a friend with TuneECU.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #15926
drunkenrich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Sure. They will probably charge 1/2 hr labor. Find a friend with TuneECU.
Anyone live in connecticut with a tune ecu?

2010 KTM 690 enduro r
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #15927
Dhawkk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Does anyone by chance know how interchangeable front fenders are? I have a 2014 enduro r, us version. Wondering if I can get away with a 2010 smc front fender or if I should just find a new smc fender somewhere on the interwebz?

One more question, is it true that any slip on aside from an akra will void the warrenty? This is what I was told. Yes, I know this should probably go in the exhaust thread. Been slowly making my way through this awesome thread one page at a time and figured someone could provide some insight for me.

You guys are awesome!!
Dhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #15928
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawkk View Post
Does anyone by chance know how interchangeable front fenders are? I have a 2014 enduro r, us version. Wondering if I can get away with a 2010 smc front fender...
Yes, they are interchangeable.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #15929
Dhawkk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Yes, they are interchangeable.
Thank you for your fast reply. I appreciate it!
Dhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #15930
Bike Nomad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhawkk View Post
is it true that any slip on aside from an akra will void the warrenty? This is what I was told.
I am not an attorney. To the best of my knowledge, in the US that is not true, because it is related to this legislation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

There was a lobby group of aftermarket businesses that helped enforce this or similar legislation or broadened it? I'm sketchy on the details.

Of all the bikes I'm aware of the KTM 690 probably has one of the highest rates of owners replacing the can (often being replaced before the bike rolls out the dealer's door, so there would be a great many new bikes not covered if what you were told about the Akro were true.

In Europe I understand it can be an issue.

If you include a country location in your profile it can help posters better answer certain questions you might have in the future.