Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 PM   #76
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Why is it worn out on the left and not the right? Is that a NASCAR motorcycle that only goes in left circles?

As far as the lump goes, it's hard to tell without actually taking it apart to see what's going on. That tire is four years old. Was it stored inside or out? If you complained to Avon I doubt they'd give you the time of day but you never know. It might be worth it to take another video (from the side with tread) informing them you had a problem and you might just get a new tire out of the deal. Who knows?
I think it's more worn on the left side (by a lot, actually) for two reasons: 1) normal road crown, and 2) I participated in a couple of training days run on counter-clockwise courses, predominantly left turns. Still, I don't think the wear should be THAT disparate. Oddly, the front tire shows a more uniform wear pattern.

The bike was outside (carport, covered) for about 2yrs as a near-daily commuter, then garaged for 2yrs after I moved but still a commuter.

Sure, I could press Avon -- but I don't want another set of their tires even if they WERE free. At best, I could provide Avon with another data point that could lead to action on their part and perhaps prevent someone else's mishap.
As I mentioned, I really liked their older AV45/46's. These Storm 2's replaced those in their lineup but it was a definite step backward; in fact, I was kind of taking a gamble knowing the Storm 2's weren't as highly acclaimed. I think a lot of previous AV45 owners were disappointed. But.....they were radials & came in the sizes I needed. Not everyone makes an 18-inch front or a 160 rear for a 20yr old motorcycle.

No chance for a video from the good side; the wheels are already off the bike and in the back of my car.

FWIW, here's what the "good" side looks like; looks almost normal....

Left vs. Right side:

Guano11 screwed with this post 04-29-2014 at 04:50 AM
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #77
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Well, I think I'd just put them in the circular file and be done with them. I stick with Michelin Power Pilots. Never had a problem with them. Although I rarely have a set last longer than a couple months on my road bikes.
Homey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #78
Guano11
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
.... go to the NHTSA website and file a report.(http://safercar.gov, specifically https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm)Thanks
Went back through the thread & discovered the above link. I submitted my particular case.

.....and mounted up some Michelin Pilot Roads.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #79
willsTDM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Great thread you guys. I wonder how many riders have read this and ditched the Avon's fitted to their bikes? I now why I like Michelin's so much...thanks to all concerned for the heads up
'87 VT250F.....gone
'07 TDM900....gone etc,etc.
willsTDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #80
ravenranger OP
rave

Oddometer: 1,515
Well, I, for sure, will NEVER use AVON's again!

I don't think I reported it here but, I had a fairly new Avon Distanzia (mounted on a GS1150) develop issues a couple of years ago when I was ferrying the GS from Alaska to the lower 48. I was wary when I saw the owner had mounted Avon's for the trip. It made it from Anchorage, AK to Billings, MT before it developed a weird bubble and split. Once again, no apparent road damage it just went from okay to wonky like the Storms had done. The BMW dealer in Billings had a take-off Anakee with enough tread on it to make it safely from Billings to Phoenix.

Personally, I think Avon has a problem with their dual compound tires (both the Storm 2's and the Distanzia are dual compounds). I think they get a separation between the compounds that causes the failures. Of course, there's no scientific proof of that but that's my 2¢ based on my experience.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:02 AM   #81
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 480
I went with the PR3s when my '09 FJR's factory Bridgestones wore out at around 4K miles... got the service and decided to replace the tires since the front was cupped and the rear was down to the wear bars.

I'm glad others are willing to experiment. My motto is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Haven't heard anything bad about the PR3s.

If I had that lumpy tire, I'd offer to give it to Avon. Since it hasn't failed catastrophically, might be easier to understand what is happening and why.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:16 PM   #82
Guano11
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
If I had that lumpy tire, I'd offer to give it to Avon. Since it hasn't failed catastrophically, might be easier to understand what is happening and why.
I called Avon's tech line, not to "complain" but to just let them know I had a failed tire they might be interested in. I offered to send it if they wanted to inspect it.

Tech rep asked if it'd been repaired. It did have a plug in it that I'd forgotten about (until it was dismounted), but I told him the bulge was nowhere near the repaired puncture.

"That's how it happens" he said. "After a tire's plugged, air can still enter the carcass itself and work its way to another part of the tire causing a failure. They can fail catastrophically, even if the tire's holding air. That's why we don't recommend riding on a repaired tire." I envisioned an air bubble, like on a sticker or on window tint, that you're trying to squeegee out to the edge to work it out.....

I know tire manufacturers don't/can't recommend continued riding on a compromised tire -- but a lot of folks do anyway, myself included. Hey, it's holding air, isn't it? I assumed it was a liability issue. Anyway, an air bubble migrating its way around the carcass of a tire still seems a bit far-fetched, but I suppose I can take the guy's word for it.

Here's the plug. No telling how old it is; I probably plugged it with less than a couple hundred miles on the tire -- isn't that how it always happens?

From treadside. The puncture was actually in the depth of the tread:

The bulged area is over 270deg from the repair, taken from the direction of travel. In other words, IF the tech's theory was correct and some air was trapped initially at the plugged site, that bubble worked its way 3/4 the way around the tire before settling in on the failure spot.

Also, this piece of wire bit me as I ran my hand inside the perimeter:

The tech wasn't seem interested in the tire; I got the impression he'd seen many such failures before. Also, he said any returns are handled through the vendor (but maybe he thought I was going to demand restitution, which I wasn't).

Bottom line: I don't think I can't blame Avon for this one.
Bad on me for not only running an overdue tire, but running a repaired overdue tire.

Guano11 screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 07:13 AM
Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #83
ravenranger OP
rave

Oddometer: 1,515
That's an interesting theory but it doesn't explain why three Avon Storm 2's and one Avon Distanzia all had problems for me.

None of my tires had plugs in them but I got the "air bubble" theory handed to me, too.
ravenranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #84
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guano11 View Post
The bulged area is over 270deg from the repair, taken from the direction of travel. In other words, IF the tech's theory was correct and some air was trapped initially at the plugged site, that bubble worked its way 3/4 the way around the tire before settling in on the failure spot..
Air doesn't have to follow the direction of travel of the tire, just saying.
It will follow the path of least resistance.
Homey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:31 AM   #85
Guano11
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
None of my tires had plugs in them but I got the "air bubble" theory handed to me, too.
Like I said, sounded pretty far-fetched to me, too. Maybe my plug repair was a convenient scapegoat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
Air doesn't have to follow the direction of travel of the tire, just saying. It will follow the path of least resistance.
Agree. I was assuming the carcass was still relatively uniform, and that the road itself provided the "squeegee force" that worked the bubble around the perimeter until it found a place to bed down & grow.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:56 PM   #86
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Well, it tells me all I need to know about Avon. You offer them a tire for exam and they are not interested.

They offer a very weak excuse. I'm sorry, but a properly made tire doesn't get air bubbles that destroy the carcass. Other manufacturers don't have this problem.

Avon have made up their minds about what happened and so have I. I just won't buy Avon tires.
SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #87
clogan
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Man!!!

Wish I had seen this thread two weeks ago. I just installed a new Avon Storm XM on the rear of my C14. After reading this thread, I think I'll order some PR 4s, and send my almost new Avon to the trash heap!
clogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #88
Guano11
Half Decaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by clogan View Post
Man!!! Wish I had seen this thread two weeks ago. I just installed a new Avon Storm XM on the rear of my C14. After reading this thread, I think I'll order some PR 4s, and send my almost new Avon to the trash heap!
Give 'em a chance. I'm sure there are a lot of happy users out there; these forums tend to amplify the not-so-happies.

But keep an eye on 'em. And welcome aboard.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:12 AM   #89
atomicalex
silly aluminum boxes

Oddometer: 2,052
How air bubble move in the carcass.... I wish I could draw some diagrams, but I'm not sufficiently artistic.

The nylon and steel plys are made up of cord, which is made up of individual strands. As the tyre is laid up, the rubber comes into contact with these cords and strands. During vulcanization, one of the things that needs to happen is that the rubber needs to get intimate with the cords and strands and fully permeate them and bond with them. Rubber does absolutely form bonds with (brass-coated) steel, polyester, and nylon. That is the point of it all, and when it doesn't, it's an adhesion failure.

What can happen during a puncture is that the cord begins to pull away from the rubber. This can be an adhesive (cord/rubber interface) or cohesive (internal to rubber or cord) failure. Either one is bad news.

For an air bubble so formed to migrate, either the rubber never fully bonded to the cord and the air simply migrated to a weak spot (this indicates failure to cure properly, could be over- or under-cure or just bad chemistry), or the failure is growing to the weak area and the entire migration path is severely compromised.

With this many delams, my gut feeling is that Avon had some serious cure issues with these tyres!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #90
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Any experience with the new Avon Storm 3D X-M?
Storm 3D X-M

High Mileage Sport Touring Tire

• High performance plus extended mileage
  • Road Hazard Warranty included
  • The X-M version will deliver 15%-20% extra mileage compared to the current Storm range
  • Interlocking three dimensional points hidden in the sipes to improve stability and grip, limit tread flex and allow the tyre to warm up quickly (3D Sipes)
  • High performance single and multi-compound super rich silica tread enhances wet grip (SRS)
  • Superb handling and stability characteristics

$155F/$172R in GS & V-Strom sizes. These seem to be well liked by the British riding magazines.

By the way, does everyone know that Avon Tyres was bought by Cooper Tire & Rubber Co. of Findlay, Ohio, in 1997? Last year a buy-out of Cooper by Apollo Tyre of Gurgaon, Haryana, India, fell through.