Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #76
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
Yes, the Paperwhite uses an included standard USB to micro USB cord for charging or interfacing with a computer. It does NOT come with a power supply or cube that plugs in to the wall for the USB cable to plug in to. But those can be bought cheaply almost anywhere.
On my old Kindle, my cell phone charger works just fine. It's a micro USB. I can charge the phone at night and the Kindle during the day -- when the Kindle needs charging, which is infrequently.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:16 PM   #77
steven1955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Two nights ago I went to Best Buy to check out the Kindle Paperwhite 2nd generation. I just came back from the local B&N to check out the Nook Glowlight.

I liked the Paperwhite better in that it was much more responsive to commands to go to different screens. So much more responsive that I think there might have been something wrong with the Glowlight I played with. I give a slight edge to the screen quality of the Paperwhite, but not so much that screen quality would be anything other than a tie breaker.

There were actually two Nook Glowlights on display. One was totally dead. The other was unresponsive and it's font settings were messed up when I went to test read a book. The letters were all over 3/8 of an inch tall, and I couldn't find the settings to change the font size.

When I looked for someone to help me there was no one to be found. One of the things B&N brags about is that there is in store support for Nooks. Tonight they needed in store support for Nook sales.
steven1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #78
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I have a paperwhite and prefer reading on it, but will often use my iPad as a reader. With it I surf the web, buy/borrow my book, and then open it on the related app: Kindle app, Overdrive for my local library, etc. I might not be shopping directly in those apps, but what's the issue?
Well, the shopping is the only issue for some. It can be a pain if you're reading a series and suddenly can't get the next book. The whole point of having multiple apps on one device is only needing ONE device, right?
Old 05-08-2014, 12:32 AM   #79
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1955 View Post

When I looked for someone to help me there was no one to be found. One of the things B&N brags about is that there is in store support for Nooks. Tonight they needed in store support for Nook sales.
As I alluded to before B&N has "re-aligned" the hardware side of the Nook business. The Glowlight, afaik, is still in production but the tablets went at firesale prices, even though you can still find some here and there.

But they're the only ones who have an actual store you can walk into. Even if it's full of coffee drinking book moochers.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #80
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Rooting a Nook

Just an FYI:

Turn a Nook into a full fledged Android Tablet in Four Easy Steps.

Now, I just saw one for $35 somewhere...
Old 05-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #81
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,842
I use my Nexus 7 tablet with the Kindle app. I probably go through 100+ books per year on it and I like that they aren't tied to the device. At this point, I'm pretty invested in the Kindle ecosystem, and if I didn't use the tablet for other stuff, I'd probably switch to a e-ink Kindle device instead.

Very satisfied.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #82
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
I have a plain jane $79 kindle. Love it. Thinking of upgrading to a paperwhite as I've read so much I've worn out the page forward buttons.

And I use the kindle app on my phone, my work phone and my ipad.

Rent books for free from my local library online and read whenever I want wherever I am.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:07 PM   #83
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by antwon412 View Post
I have a plain jane $79 kindle. Love it. Thinking of upgrading to a paperwhite as I've read so much I've worn out the page forward buttons.

And I use the kindle app on my phone, my work phone and my ipad.

Rent books for free from my local library online and read whenever I want wherever I am.
My wife loves her paperwhite. I sneak it once in a while since she has all my Ian Fleming Books and it's lighter than my tablets.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM   #84
steven1955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I ended up buying a 2nd gen Kindle Paperwhite last Saturday while they were on sale at Staples for $99 vs. their normal $119.

I've downloaded Calibre and played with it a bit. Now it's time to look for content. Got most of the Sherlock Holmes short stories from Project Gutenberg. Now I've got to figure out how to get free content from the local libraries.
steven1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 PM   #85
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven1955 View Post
I ended up buying a 2nd gen Kindle Paperwhite last Saturday while they were on sale at Staples for $99 vs. their normal $119.

I've downloaded Calibre and played with it a bit. Now it's time to look for content. Got most of the Sherlock Holmes short stories from Project Gutenberg. Now I've got to figure out how to get free content from the local libraries.
Talk to your local library, but most of them use Overdrive. http://omc.overdrive.com/

Between Overdrive and my local library and the freebies I get being an Amazon Prime member, I rarely buy a book.

Cool thing about Kindle and Overdrive: Everything syncs like it should. Although the Paperwhite doesn't have audio, there are a ton of audiobooks at your library through Overdrive that you can put on your i-device or android and listen to with Overdrive.

The more I use my paperwhite, the more I like it. Yes, tablets that cost in the same region or just a bit more can do a lot more, but for plain old sitting down and reading for an hour or more, nothing beats e-ink and the lighting on the paperwhite is fantastic.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #86
Apxgrndr OP
In the snow

Oddometer: 937
I have been really enjoying the paperwhite, one of my favourite features is the one touch word definition.
My local library does not support kindle, any other great ideas for finding content? I currently just use amazon.

Edit: thanks for the info josjor!
Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #87
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post
I have been really enjoying the paperwhite, one of my favourite features is the one touch word definition.
My local library does not support kindle, any other great ideas for finding content? I currently just use amazon.

Check your neighboring towns and see if they offer it. Go to the overdrive link and sign up. You'll then be able to see what towns in your state participate. Pick a town close by and next time you're there, get a library card and ask them about digital downloads.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #88
antwon412
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apxgrndr View Post

I've heard you can even get library cards for library's far away. Like across the country far away. You don't always gave to apply in person if it's for digital downloads.

Might be worth looking into.
antwon412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #89
withoutaride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I don't have the luxury of reading ebooks while basking on a white sand beach where the sun never sets. For those that do....buy a Kindle Paperwhite. For those that don't buy a cheap ass Android tablet and get on with your life. Sheesh! Fucking decisions! Glass screen and all: http://sellout.woot.com/offers/asus-...ef=cnt_wp_2_17
withoutaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 PM   #90
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
Love my Paperwhite, too. It's the best reader I've had thus far, out of the Kindle Keyboard (no light), the Kindle Fire (too heavy, too much screen glare), and iPad Mini (too much screen glare, can't get it out of my daughter's hands anyway).

W.A.
If you want an ebook reader I'd say that anything BUT the e-ink display models is a waste of time.

Fair substitute for a paperback book as they have decent life between charges and are readable anywhere a book is. The tablets are fine if you want to browse the web or whatever, but such as readers tablets suck, poor contrast particularly in sunlight and poor battery life.

I take mine on camping trips , charge it before I leave - there's no need to take a charger and it packs pretty much in the same space as a book. I'm usually somewhere without phone access let alone power or net access so a tablet is a waste of time.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: