Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 06:48 PM   #286
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeter View Post
Hi Bruce,
My physio thought that they fused the joints in my big toe when I first started therapy. It has improved but I still can't bend it up much more than 45 degrees. I am working on balance and strengthening now. If I walk slowly my gait is quite normal, but my limp becomes obvious if I try to pick up the pace.
My next appointment with my surgeon isn't until September. If all looks good at that time he want's to remove my hardware. I am not looking forward to another surgery but it should increase my range of motion and prevent my foot from shattering if it gets hit again.
Keep on overachieving. You are the only one that can really determine what your final outcome will be.

Stay strong,

Peter
Looks like we are all in the just keep working it category. I am with you on the fast versus slow walking thing. After the first surgery they removed my screws and that wasn't bad at all but if you have additional hardware they may not be as easy. I was telling my wife last night how much different this time is from the first.....meaning a way slower recovery with more pain. She thinks I am just milking it or something. Hopefully the pain is associated with strength and flexibility and not just broke shit that may stay with me forever, that would certainly change my life.

Here are the exercises they have me doing;

Ankle alphabet - 2 sets, twice a day
Toe raise (sitting) - 1 set, 20 times, twice a day
Heel raise (sitting - 1 set, 20 times, twice a day
Dorsiflexion; resisted - 1 set. 10 times, twice a day
Plantar flexion; resisted - 1 set, 10 times, twice a day
Inversion; resisted - 1 set, 10 times, twice a day
Eversion; resisted - 1 set, 10 times, twice a day
Stretching calf; towel - 3 sets, 30 seconds each, twice a day
Toe curl; unilateral - 2 sets, twice a day
Toe curl; bilateral - 2 sets, twice a day

I think it may be helping a bit but time will tell. I will be curious to see in a couple of weeks if my range of motion has changed any.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #287
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
That is quite similar to my routine with the addition of balancing on one foot and calf raises. At my appointment this evening they had me using a Bosu ball and wobble board. I also tried some single leg calf raises (did not feel good!).
My foot still wakes me up every night. At times it seems that now that I am up and walking that people assume that I am "all better". It can be frustrating.

Peter
Littlepeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #288
blaster11 OP
Enabler

That's my at home program, the one in the office is a bit more involved with ice and electrical stimulation at the end. I get the same thing "wow you are walking great" if they only knew......
Old 04-08-2014, 06:05 PM   #289
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Good night at therapy, up the reps a bit and tension. The PT thinks I am improving my range of motion really well. Bad news is she thinks I am going to have to work at it pretty consistently for the next year.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #290
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Well they are starting to up the ante at physical therapy....tonight on a balance board, (four corner supported style), standing on one leg, and throwing a three pound ball into one of those auto return boards. A bit challenging considering laterally I am weak and the first time I threw the ball a bit too hard.....thought I was going to eat that thing! The other one is the picking up of objects with your toes and moving them around....actually the PT said I am the best she has ever worked with, makes me feel like maybe things are getting better. The smallest thing they had me move is a kernel of corn, like popcorn size kernel. I am not going to say it is easy for me but I get the job done. Those were the two newest exercises they got me doing.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #291
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster11 View Post
Well they are starting to up the ante at physical therapy....tonight on a balance board, (four corner supported style), standing on one leg, and throwing a three pound ball into one of those auto return boards. A bit challenging considering laterally I am weak and the first time I threw the ball a bit too hard.....thought I was going to eat that thing! The other one is the picking up of objects with your toes and moving them around....actually the PT said I am the best she has ever worked with, makes me feel like maybe things are getting better. The smallest thing they had me move is a kernel of corn, like popcorn size kernel. I am not going to say it is easy for me but I get the job done. Those were the two newest exercises they got me doing.
I do one where I put a facecloth on the floor and scrunch it up with my toes. I try to pick up the dog's kibble and put it back in the bowl if she spills any. My three middle toes do not flex well. They still tend to move as a unit and only bend at the first joint. My walking has improved quite a bit and I have ridden my bicycle on the trainer without falling off!

Peter
Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #292
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
I do one where I put a facecloth on the floor and scrunch it up with my toes. I try to pick up the dog's kibble and put it back in the bowl if she spills any. My three middle toes do not flex well. They still tend to move as a unit and only bend at the first joint. My walking has improved quite a bit and I have ridden my bicycle on the trainer without falling off!

Peter
We pretty much determined last night that the towel scrunchy thing isn't going to work for me since the mid section of my foot is fused and I can't arch my foot. I can dot it just a bit but I run out of space for the towel pretty quickly.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:41 AM   #293
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Did an eval after 4 weeks of PT and I have considerable more strength in all directions. I also have quite a few more degree of movement as well which really has helped in walking. Swelling has dropped out a lot as the measurement showed a 1/2" less in just the ankle area and I am sure the foot is quite a bit more. When I pick up the numbers next week from the PT office I will post them.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:45 AM   #294
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Great to hear Bruce. Yesterday, I took my first ride since the accident. It felt great to get back out there! I am still going to physio twice a week and bought a wobble board for home. My progress seems to have reached a plateau, but I'll keep working at it. If I walk slowly I can disguise my limp, if I try to pick up the pace a little I start to skip. Going down stairs has improved but is still not "smooth".
Have you been riding yet this season?

Peter
Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #295
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Great to hear Bruce. Yesterday, I took my first ride since the accident. It felt great to get back out there!

Peter
That is great news. I was wondering if you got out there but did not want to rub salt in the wound if you were not.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #296
Littlepeter
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damurph View Post
That is great news. I was wondering if you got out there but did not want to rub salt in the wound if you were not.
Thanks Murph. Is it still winter over there? It was a balmy 4C on my ride yesterday.

Bruce,
I read your Translab an NL threads this morning. They brought back some memories of my journeys there.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #297
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Great to hear Bruce. Yesterday, I took my first ride since the accident. It felt great to get back out there! I am still going to physio twice a week and bought a wobble board for home. My progress seems to have reached a plateau, but I'll keep working at it. If I walk slowly I can disguise my limp, if I try to pick up the pace a little I start to skip. Going down stairs has improved but is still not "smooth".
Have you been riding yet this season?

Peter
Peter....glad to hear you got a ride in! I have been riding a bit but not as much as usually do since I am trying to give everything time to heal and PT to do it's job. A bunch of us went for a ride today and we got 300 miles in.....great weather today for a ride! Between the Vitamin D supplements and the PT over the past 4 weeks I have made pretty good progress. Walk is better and stairs are better as well but a ways yet to go.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #298
blaster11 OP
Enabler

Quote:
Thanks Murph. Is it still winter over there? It was a balmy 4C on my ride yesterday.

Bruce,
I read your Translab an NL threads this morning. They brought back some memories of my journeys there.

Thanks,

Peter
I really enjoyed that ride, I hope to do it again some day.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:07 PM   #299
blaster11 OP
Enabler

4 week physical therapy report

I picked up my 4 week PT report tonight. I lost 1/2" out of my ankle measurement due to there being less swelling. My Dorsiflexion (flex your foot upward at the ankle) went from 7 degrees to now 10 degrees of motion. Apparently 10 degrees is the minimum to have a functional foot. It may not seem like much but those few degrees have made a pretty big difference. I also went from 32 degrees to 45 degrees on my Ankle Plantar Flexion (flex your foot down from the ankle). That has made a huge difference in getting my foot in riding boots as well as in a pants leg without getting hung up much. Strength in the foot/ankle area has increased a lot as well which has made life better. Back to the Doc man on Wednesday for a checkup.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #300
Rex Nemo
horizon calling

Oddometer: 313
Good to hear of others' progress. I have been working with my PT (aka Evil Yoda) weekly and doing everything she prescribes, no matter how much it hurts--often a lot!
Calf raises in the pool, lateral leg lifts, calf stretches, planks, multiple-axis rotations with steadily firmer weights of rubber bands...doing it all. She puts me on a single-axis balance board and a Bosu Ball and makes me do squats...before she let me go take a road trip to Utah recently she put me on the Bosu ball and threw basketballs at me until I could play catch without eating sh%#@!t off the board. As it turned out, I was able to do some very encouraging and fun rock scrambling and hiking--still no long hikes or backpacking, of course.

I agree, too, about making progress and getting encouragement from the uninjured. I can walk well, get down the stairs with only a little bit of "hop"...but it still hurts a fair bit.

Got the doc to give me a dexamethasone injection into the top of the foot; we'll see if it reduces the amount of painkiller I need to get through the day, and helps me break my pain plateau and do more PT. Sure hope so.

I took my first short ride on the DR650 a couple of days ago too...wow am I rusty and hypervigilant! Sure was good to be back on the horse, though.

Tomorrow marks the 1-year anniversary of crushing my foot.