User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #196
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,052
Seems like all the newer Toyota trucks have sub-par fuel economy. My Tacoma's economy is sub-par as well compared to it's power, and engine displacement so it seems to be the design of the Toyota engines. But that just means I need to ride the bike more .
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:02 AM   #197
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
OK, for all you Tundra owners that have replaced tires and wheels with aftermarket, how do you get front end alignment? I had front end aligned with stock tires and wheels and then installed new ones, this was after a 2.5'' level kit installation. Front alignment is not right with wide tires, it wanders on uneven pavement. Several shops told me no because tires have rim guard and they say cant get tool clamped on wheel. I don't want my powder coated wheels damaged by trying to force tool on, so what have you guys done? Thanks . D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:28 AM   #198
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,029
Well what do you expect for a 1/2 ton with 381hp

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 PM   #199
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,682
Just chanced on this thread and thought I'd toss in my 2 cents worth.

I had a 2007 and in 145,000 I changed two turn signal bulbs. Quality like that keeps me happy. The throttle was a bit twitchy like my KTM 950 was but was good in the suspension department. My 2011 seems rougher on the road, not handling sharp edged bumps well but they got rid of the twitchy throttle. I like my 2007 better. 2011 hasn't had anything wrong in 50,000, just gas and go and change the oil once in a while.

The new one is a disappointment looks wise but I'm in for a couple more years on my lease so maybe it'll get better by then. I'd really be happy with more than 15 mpg so hopefully they can get that 8 speed tranny working.

Mine are Xtra cab long box trucks with fiberglass cap so I can carry 8' lumber or drywall and tools.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #200
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,498
Questions about the newer trucks/trim packages.

1) Which radio/sound system is used?
2) Heated AND ventilated seats?
3) Heated steering wheel?
4) Electronic Range Select (thumb-shifter locks out at gear selected)
5) What's the torque rating?
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:33 PM   #201
Niraks
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
OK, for all you Tundra owners that have replaced tires and wheels with aftermarket, how do you get front end alignment? I had front end aligned with stock tires and wheels and then installed new ones, this was after a 2.5'' level kit installation. Front alignment is not right with wide tires, it wanders on uneven pavement. Several shops told me no because tires have rim guard and they say cant get tool clamped on wheel. I don't want my powder coated wheels damaged by trying to force tool on, so what have you guys done? Thanks . D.
If the Tundra is anything like the Taco or the FJ 2.5" of lift makes it impossible to properly align the front end. A set of aftermarket upper control arms might be needed.....
Old 04-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #202
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Well what do you expect for a 1/2 ton with 381hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander View Post
My 2011 seems rougher on the road, not handling sharp edged bumps well but they got rid of the twitchy throttle.
Do you have 20 inch wheels?
I have the 18" steel wheels, a buddy has the 20" with lower profile tires and there is a lot of difference in the ride.
Mine rides a lot better.

If you think yours is bad I'll let ya drive my company truck (Chevy) for a week, the Tundra will be great after that.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #203
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niraks View Post
If the Tundra is anything like the Taco or the FJ 2.5" of lift makes it impossible to properly align the front end. A set of aftermarket upper control arms might be needed.....
Yes, I have read where you need longer control arms to get an exact alignment, but I just wonder even if you had aftermarket arms, how do you get alignment when tires have rim guards. It need tweaking, just enough to stop wander, wear looks good after a thousand miles or so. I will try shops in my hometown area at some point. D
Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #204
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly View Post

If you think yours is bad I'll let ya drive my company truck (Chevy) for a week, the Tundra will be great after that.
I never knew how bad Chevy rode until I got my Tundra. I drive 2012-2013 Chevy Suburbans all the time, and I just returned from a almost 1000 miles trip in a 13 Suburban with less than 10,000 miles and it rides terrible compared to Tundra. I never would have guessed Tundra was that smooth until owning one, and even with 20'' and load range E tires its smoother on highway than Chevy. However, that Suburban blows it out of water on FUEL MILEAGE!!!! D.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:36 AM   #205
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post

1. Dunno, but it's got to be better than the 2013 Platinum Bluetooth atrocity that's in my truck.
2. Yes, both in the top of the line. AC Seats in Summer freaking ROCK.
3. Dunno.
4. Dunno.
5. Motor/driveline hasn't changed. 5.7 V8 is 381 hp, 401 torques on a 4.3-1 rear end for the Platinum edition.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #206
sloth!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTEVENS View Post
Yes, I have read where you need longer control arms to get an exact alignment, but I just wonder even if you had aftermarket arms, how do you get alignment when tires have rim guards. It need tweaking, just enough to stop wander, wear looks good after a thousand miles or so. I will try shops in my hometown area at some point. D
my rims are KMC enduros and they have a large bead protector on them. A good shop wont have any issues with different types of wheels.

3" coilover lift and LR UCAs and it handles like a dream. Before the UCAs i had a good bit of wander due to caster. This is a known issue on all leveled/lifted 05+ toyotas.

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/toyota-...014-p8740.aspx

http://camburg.com/store/07-11-tundr...nt-upper-arms/ URL says 7-11 but they are now confirmed to fit 7-14.
sloth! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #207
greener556
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Total Chaos Fabrication makes UCA's as well.
greener556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #208
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=sloth!;24112505]my rims are KMC enduros and they have a large bead protector on them. A good shop wont have any issues with different types of wheels.

3" coilover lift and LR UCAs and it handles like a dream. Before the UCAs i had a good bit of wander due to caster. This is a known issue on all leveled/lifted 05+ toyotas.

Thanks, I guess I need UCA's, but I am still wondering how the front end guy gets machine to clamp over edge of wheel when your tire has a thick rubber rim guard preventing this. That why locals wont try because of rim guard on 10pr tires. I had it originally aligned with stock 20s. 2.5'' ready or rough country spacer cant remember brand. Truck started out too front end high but after few days it sits almost perfectly level F to R. Also put diff lower pucks in to lower CV angle. No noise or vibration up to 90 mph, haven't pushed it any further. By the way I tried the Trac Control disable and it works like a charm so far, am taking 400 plus mile trip later this week and will see how it reacts, so far so good. No more nannies intruding at wrong time. D.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #209
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post

1. Depends on which package you buy. The Premium package supposedly has 400w, the standard being 100w.
2. Yes, depending on which model you buy.
3. No.
4. Yes, unless you redline the engine (it will automatically shift up), or you are in too high of a gear at too high of a speed (will not let you shift down too far), regardless of model.
5. 401ft lb at the crank

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #210
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Whats up you Tundra owners/drivers? Just returned from over 400 mile round trip, this thing sucked fuel like a carbureted big block, but no trouble with the nannies or check engine lights, after I tore into steering column and disconnected queen nannie. I am gonna have to get upper control arms to correct steering wander. runs and rides like a champ, just cant afford fuel.. D.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: