Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 AM   #61
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
The cheap car gods called my number right after I posted my horrible nasty comments about shame. I'm in for $450 worth of new alternator and related expenses on the $275 Tracker.

But seriously, PM me if you need a bus pass.
Bad timing... I just scrapped my old Sidekick a few weeks ago. I'd have sent you the alternator and the near-brand-new belt I put on the week before for the price of postage.
SloMo228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #62
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
The cheap car gods called my number right after I posted my horrible nasty comments about shame. I'm in for $450 worth of new alternator and related expenses on the $275 Tracker.

But seriously, PM me if you need a bus pass.
You gotta watch what you say, the weekend before mine broke i saw a car on the side of the road with the wheel laying face down with a broken upper ball joint and ripped on the guy for driving around with a ball joint knocking.

I'm good on the bus pass, I live in akron, I don't want to get shanked.
Mgbgt89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:53 AM   #63
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
You gotta watch what you say, the weekend before mine broke i saw a car on the side of the road with the wheel laying face down with a broken upper ball joint and ripped on the guy for driving around with a ball joint knocking.

I'm good on the bus pass, I live in akron, I don't want to get shanked.
One of my coworkers back then used to speed past the gate/guard shack at work. Got ripped by the guard a few times and ignore it all. That is until the upper ball joint on his POS Fairlane broke right in front of the shack blocking everyone else from going to the parking lot.

I was already at work by then....didn't have to walk from the other much farther parking lot but he sure got flack form everyone else over that one.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #64
RLK

Oddometer: 6,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloMo228 View Post
Bad timing... I just scrapped my old Sidekick a few weeks ago. I'd have sent you the alternator and the near-brand-new belt I put on the week before for the price of postage.
I would have needed a week to trace it down. I would do me some good to bicycle for a week but I want it fixed right and right now. Picked it up on lunch hour. Thanks. Sadness on the scrap Tracker.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #65
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Bumping this thread back up. Lets see some more hoopties.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #66
Solaros1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Can't find a picture but I once bought a 1960's VW microbus with no engine in it for $25. It had apparently been used as a dumpster for a while since it was full of trash up to the windows. I dragged it back to my shop and parked it next to our dumpster and started to clean it out. Under about three feet of trash in the middle of the passenger compartment was the missing engine.

I pulled the engine apart - put some used pistons and cylinders in it and about $50 worth of new parts and got it running. I think I sold it for around $450.
Solaros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 PM   #67
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Still driving the Shaturn.....the other day they had a special sale on tires....$35 a piece for......well, they were the wrong size for the car but close enough.....Goodyears.

Two new front tires on the beast.....about due for another oil change to. Im about out of my cheap oil.

Two years ago my local OReillys was going from 4 quart jugs to 5 quart jugs....they were clearancing out 4 quart jugs of Valvoline Syntec for $5 a jug.

I bought all they had left......over $100 worth. Id say about 25 jugs - Im down to 8 or so.

Toss in a cheap oil filter and Ive been changing my oil with synthetic for $8. Im gonna shit a brick when I have to pay full price for oil.....fuck.

Ive really been considering run all my cheap shit on diesel oil.....5w20 Rotella can be had for $12 for a 4 quart jug around here.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #68
Maritimer
Bikeless Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Wow...that is amazing, industrial-grade frugality going on right there!

What colour is your KLR?

Mrs Maritimer on packing lunches: "Don't forget the pepper grinder. Just because we are eating cottage cheese at work, doesn't mean we need to be heathens about it."
Maritimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:21 AM   #69
aaronrkelly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer View Post
Wow...that is amazing, industrial-grade frugality going on right there!

What colour is your KLR?
.....green, how'd ya know?

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #70
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,451
Quote:

Did i mention rust? The passenger side window lift cables rusted out, so that's held up with a cam lock strap.
Holy shit I've never seen rust that bad on a "new" car, old non galvanized junk from before the 90s sure, but damn that is BAD!

Here's my "cheap" car, it's not nearly as cheap as some; but for whatever reason sub $1,000 cars that run don't exist around here. I paid $1900 for this Subaru (and that's real cheap considering people ASK that for slightly newer ones with blown motors) and have driven it all over this past winter, AWD in this thing is awesome for going up to Summit Co during snow storms. It was supposed to be the old ladies winter beater but somehow I wound up driving it all winter, put nearly 10K miles on it. I did do a Timing belt and waterpump for piece of mind and put a couple axles on it and shocks.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:43 PM   #71
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Holy shit I've never seen rust that bad on a "new" car, old non galvanized junk from before the 90s sure, but damn that is BAD!

Here's my "cheap" car, it's not nearly as cheap as some; but for whatever reason sub $1,000 cars that run don't exist around here. I paid $1900 for this Subaru (and that's real cheap considering people ASK that for slightly newer ones with blown motors) and have driven it all over this past winter, AWD in this thing is awesome for going up to Summit Co during snow storms. It was supposed to be the old ladies winter beater but somehow I wound up driving it all winter, put nearly 10K miles on it. I did do a Timing belt and waterpump for piece of mind and put a couple axles on it and shocks.
Your subie would be a pile of red dust here, Not too many of that era left around here. They seemed to be really susceptible to it. I'd love to have one that clean though.

I think Jules and i are winning the rust game in this thread. Yay ohio.

Ever since i moved here I've wanted to start taking pictures of the hilariously rusty junk on the road.

A guy i work with said his dad never changed oil in a car. Ever. "No point, the car will rust out before the engine goes."
Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #72
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
that is some serious rust lol

in the uk and ireland you are not allowed any holes in the body of a car or any rust that affect the structure. surface rust you can get away with but thats it. you would be doing a serious bit of welding to keep that on the road haha.

are you worried about that car crumpling like a wet paper bag if you have a crash lol
Old 05-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #73
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
New ones are only 50 bucks, and thats for moog parts. I'm replacing both.

To the guy bitching about it being a threat to public safety, STFU. I keep my cars in safe working order. Tell it to ford, theres people breaking them on cars that aren't rusty. Besides, you live in colorado springs, you don't know rust.

yeah your car being so rusty that that happens is really safe. could have happened on the freeway?
Old 05-10-2014, 04:50 AM   #74
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
that is some serious rust lol

in the uk and ireland you are not allowed any holes in the body of a car or any rust that affect the structure. surface rust you can get away with but thats it. you would be doing a serious bit of welding to keep that on the road haha.

are you worried about that car crumpling like a wet paper bag if you have a crash lol
It depends on the state here. My ranger (post number 1) would have no chance in some states. Here in Ohio it's fine.

The frame actually isn't that bad, it'd be fine in a crash I'd say. The only rusty part I've found on the frame is the transmission mount. I've owned a few that I wouldn't have wanted to wreck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:39 AM   #75
canoli
human

Oddometer: 1,571
This was my 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ 60 Diesel. Bought it for $1 as it had not run for 18 months and had 478,000 KM's on it.

Fixed the steering, brakes, put a new spare tire under it and put in a new battery ( less then $500 total). Drove it until the head gasket blew on it 3 weeks ago with 490,000 + Km's. Sold it to a mechanic for $1000. When I bought it, my dad told me he had never had a prouder moment in his life .
canoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: