Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
Or horse sh!t.
Common enough road hazard on quaint country roads in and around Amish country.
Common, man, cow shit (which we see a lot of on open range land out here) is MUCH worse than horse shit! [Now we can have a which kind of shit is worse debate!]
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #17
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey View Post
Common, man, cow shit (which we see a lot of on open range land out here) is MUCH worse than horse shit!
Totally agree, cow shit is worse.
Just less likely to be on the road hereabouts. Around here the cows are all fenced by and large, but the horses are a primary vehicle (and they seem to favor the race line when making a deposit).

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:26 AM   #18
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial View Post
Totally agree, cow shit is worse.
Just less likely to be on the road hereabouts. Around here the cows are all fenced by and large, but the horses are a primary vehicle (and they seem to favor the race line when making a deposit).
Ha ha.... Are you saying my line is "cow shite?" On a transit at Black River Stages, there was a stretch of road that had split a farmers land, he had to herd the cows across the street. I remember very well not to bust my ass on the part of the transit.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:39 AM   #19
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Is it just me or does it seem like sand is taking out a lot of people this spring? A possible lingering consequence of all the sand and salt we dumped on the roads over this especially cold winter. My dad nearly dumped on a patch of sand/salt/rocks in the middle of a T-junction, then he took me there a week later and I nearly dumped in the same exact spot. It's the kind of thing that you really don't see until you're right on top of it.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:26 PM   #20
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 882
The roads here in PA were coated with TONS of this shit this year because of the winter we had. If you ride year round up here, you get used to constantly looking for the stuff. Glad you are ok op.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:33 PM   #21
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Yea, salt and sand

All over Maryland still. And nasty 4 inch deep 6 inch wide and 5 or six feet long pot holes. I am not exaggerating. Especially on asphalt between lanes on the white stripe. I guess it is the lanes when the put the asphalt down. You really have to keep your eyes peeled this time of year.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:20 AM   #22
SDIZZY OP
N00b

Oddometer: 301
sweep

I saw a street sweeper today and it brought a big smile to my face
SDIZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #23
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
I can't figure the disconnect from riding my DR offroad on gravel over decaying pavement without incident but tucking it on a regular but lightly used paved road with a even layer of pea gravel (heavily traveled roads have moved the gravel to the edges or between the car tracks).
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #24
PharaohScoots
Twist-N-GO

Oddometer: 42
Sad to report, but we lost a rider last week to a monster pot hole on Acton Rd in Indianapolis last weekend. They said he was wearing a helmet, but it didn't help. He probably was thrown from the impact, none the less the roads around here are awful from the beating brought on by old man winter.

The rider was on his friends bike, he was an LEO, RIP with respect. No other factors involved other than poor road conditions.

I am still laying low until more sweepers and repairs can be made.

Live to ride another day eh!
PharaohScoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #25
Recreateme
One Among the Fence

Oddometer: 71
Glad your okay OP,

I was about to start my own thread very similar, but I might as well post in here.

I had a very similar get off on Tuesday. I have only had my bike for maybe 2 weeks but was coming around a residential intersection and hit a manhole cover that was wet and cold (i was avoiding a different cover lol There were two and i didn't see this second on )

Went down mid left turn going about 25km/hr in second, the bike landed on my left leg (i was pretty much still on the saddle).

I turned her off, and slide my leg out, gave a thumbs up to the kids playing basketball down the street and picked it up.

Looking it over i had cracked and chipped off some pieces of my front fairing and scrapped up the tail section, and now some panels are mis-aligned. The worst of the damage was that i broke off the left foot peg HOLDER not the peg but the bracket itself, and the left clutch cover/mirror threads (the mirror is fine but that clutch perch is busted off).

After bending the clutch lever back out and finding neutral the bike started up without issue and i was forced to ride home with my left foot on the rear passenger peg and shift awkwardly.

I have ordered some parts online already and will be waiting a couple weeks while doing repairs.

As for damage to myself - I have a very sore left side, and right side of my neck. I was wearing my Scorpion Torque jacket, Icon Alliance helmet, gloves, TCX X-Street shoes, and Tourmaster Quest pants with hip and knee armour.

No bruises, or cuts really just a small scrap on my L elbow from the mesh of my jacket on my skin. Even with bruises my L thigh is very sore and my L shoulder very sore from impact.. :/

Very glad i had on those pants with armour, I am sure i would have had road rash on my thigh/hip and knee.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #26
TunnelRat151
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Glad to hear people are okay. I hit a guardrail at around 65-70 last week. Driver changed lanes either without seeing me, or not caring. ATGATT!!!! The knuckles on my left glove were crushed, my jacket has a friction burn from the wire guardrail. I'm all bruised up, but was able to ride home. Poor Poor KLR needs some TLC. New choke lever, handlebars, some JB Weld for the plastic, and it'll be good as new.
TunnelRat151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #27
lawdogmd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Salt!

Way too much road salt in Maryland. After a few hours of riding dirt and gravel roads in Pa, I went down pulling into my driveway a couple months ago. There was a build up of salt at my driveway apron and the snowplows chewed up the apron a bit. I think I was more on alert on the gravel roads but relaxed at home. A low speed, minimal damage, very embarrassing lay down. A tiger 800 is real heavy when laying on your foot. A cop stopped after I finally got the bike off of me.

I also rode up to the Harley plant in York, Pa yesterday and it was a pot hole dodging ride most of the way.
lawdogmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #28
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Glad you're OK OP (and the other guy's who had a recent off in this thread).

I've said it before, I'll it again - two types of bikers - those who've had an off, and those who will have one. ATGATT will,. in general, let you do both with little or no injury.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:01 PM   #29
SGBoy
New Guy

Oddometer: 40
I've had several close calls in my area since they cover the area so heavily with road salt. Glad you are okay and wear ATGATT.
SGBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 AM   #30
mattwoods
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Sounds like my first getoff...

Though at that time I hadn't heard of attgat.

(For the benefit of any new riders who are thinking of going out without gloves)
mattwoods is offline   Reply With Quote