Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
thumpism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 438
Yeah, I saw a red '96 for $1900 locally a couple of days ago and it vanished almost immediately.

My own '89 has taken a beating but still works fine. I commute on it but find it uninspiring. The heat off the engine in hot weather is bothersome (and not helpful in cold weather) and buffeting from the windshield is terrible. Great trunk and mirrors, though. Mine is on its way to being ratted out since the wreck a couple of years ago, but it always starts and still runs strong and generally gets about 47 MPG.
thumpism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #17
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpism View Post
Yeah, I saw a red '96 for $1900 locally a couple of days ago and it vanished almost immediately.

My own '89 has taken a beating but still works fine. I commute on it but find it uninspiring. The heat off the engine in hot weather is bothersome (and not helpful in cold weather) and buffeting from the windshield is terrible. Great trunk and mirrors, though. Mine is on its way to being ratted out since the wreck a couple of years ago, but it always starts and still runs strong and generally gets about 47 MPG.
I'm looking at a loaded low mile 96 for $4500. Thats a little steep, especially since I also know where there is a like new 919 for the same price. But low mile PCs are rare hard to find bikes. I may just bite the bullet. I should buy both but my garage is full now and my wife is tired of parking her new car outside.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
FlowBee
Just me.

Oddometer: 5,754
I had a 90 I bought leftover in 92. Great bike, if a bit slow. Back then it broke styling paradigms, so you needed a thicker skin to ride one. Today with all the megascooters and plastibaggers...not so much.

Mine had the taller Hondaline screen. At freeway speeds it made the bike feel a little fidgety, though probably no worse than a new ST1300.

I sold mine to buy my first ST1100, which felt like a rocket in comparison. The PC was more comfortable and easier to ride in town.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:53 AM   #19
madisonreid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,700
I had a ST1300, a ST1100 and 2 PC800s. No doubt ST1300 was the finest tool in the shed. What a machine . But it was too much motorcycle and I felt guilty when not riding it. The PCs are so practical and utility which may not be for everyone. The other issue with the ST1100 and ST1300 was weight. Way too heavy for me. The PCs are right in the sweet spot and are extremely easy to maneuver at slow speeds.. The PC is my choice
madisonreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #20
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,206
As much as I would like to have a sports car my vehicle of choice is a mini van. My taste in motorcycles is similar. I know what some would think? This dude is one boring ass mofo.
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
2tallnwide
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Most practical motorcycle ever made, and one of my favorites ever owned. Not fast, but fun to ride nonetheless, comfortable solo, or 2up. They are about as maintenance free as a bike gets, for sure they are as easy to keep clean as a bike gets...

Biggest niggle I had with my '89 was the shift linkage wasn't positive enough with the power band to keep it on the back wheel changing from first to second gear...in hindsight it was probably for the best anyway...

Traded mine for a Kawasaki Voyager in Dec of '93, regretted it ever since...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkh6lrOfT4

2tallnwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #22
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,341
My brother and I bought one recently, thinking it would make a great getaround bike. And it does, but we decided that an ST1100 makes more sense for us right now. Fuel economy is about the same and the ST has twice the HP, has better suspension and brakes, etc. In short, it's just a lot more fun to ride. So the PC is for sale. Cheap. Shoot me a PM if interested.

jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote