User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 05:34 AM   #1306
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,533
I had another adventure in pizza rolls last night. much happier with the outcome. Was able to work it down with quite a bit of work to no thicker than 1/8th inch. quite wet and sticky, but actually workable this time around.

1.75 cups water
2tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
4.15 cups flour
2tsp garlic and onion powder
1tsp oregano
2tsp yeast

Got tired of the damn shaping and I was starving so I made a little hot pocket thing.

Baked them whole instead of slicing first this time. They were just too easy to squash with the much thinner dough. *note to self, don't let them touch while baking

And the final spiral results. Kina falling apart. but delicious.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #1307
Barnstormer
Polar Bear Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,211
Made this today. Nutella is good.

Barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #1308
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 26,412
That is way to pretty to eat

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #1309
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,533
That is beatiful
Old 05-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #1310
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,528
Starter question......

After that first feeding, when there is that sort of crust on top, should that return following subsequent feedings?

I'm thinking maybe what I thought was a dead starter may not have been.

S.C.
scottcolbath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #1311
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolbath View Post
Starter question......

After that first feeding, when there is that sort of crust on top, should that return following subsequent feedings?

S.C.
Got to be honest... can't say I remember any crust as such.
What I was looking for was a bubbly surface. Is the container you are using sealed?
Are you seeing any increase in volume of the starter mix?
Any way you can get a picture of this starter? Maybe wiser heads than mine can help diagnose it better that way.

windmills screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 06:14 AM Reason: thought of another Q?
windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:25 AM   #1312
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Starter question......

S.C.
what is this crust? Is this a stiff or liquid starter? Technically, it probably wouldn't matter, but since you're tossing some anyway, why not toss the crust? You don't want completely airtight, but you don't want it drying out either.

Forming a crust definitely retards fermentation. Its not necessarily a good thing, esp. in proofing bread, but it can make you think nothing is happening, when in fact, it is.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #1313
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

The crust is a pliable, semi dense layer on top which typically has formed on or after my second day from the creation of the starter. Beneath there is always liquid and flour in a semi-separated state. The initial starter is about like a thick batter you would use to make pancakes. The container is deeper than it is wide, and covered all the time with a tea towel. In the past, after the initial feeding and crust forming, I have never seen any growth with subsequent feedings. But my lack of understand may be the reason.

Yesterday was day three of my most recent attempt at starting my starter, and Levain, I am going to try your method soon, if this Tartine Bread book method fails me again. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring your advice, I'm just pissed because this book was not cheap and I'm stubborn.

Anyway, I fed the starter yesterday. I removed 88 grams of total mass, trying to get equal amounts of solids and liquid. I replaced that with 44 grams of water and 44 grams of the 50/50 flour mix (whole wheat and white) I have made for feeding my starter.

As of this morning, about 17 hours after the first feeding of this starter, there is a liquid floating above the flour, and it has a decent sourdough stink to it. My plan today is to feed it again at the 24 hour mark and continue doing this until I start to see it rise and fall following feedings. I'll stay with this starter for a week, just faithfully feeding it. If after that time I don't see any life in the starter, I'm riding to San Francisco and hitting the bakers over the head with thier book. Then I go to the Levain method.

S.C.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #1314
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
The crust is a pliable, semi dense layer on top which typically has formed on or after my second day from the creation of the starter. Beneath there is always liquid and flour in a semi-separated state. The initial starter is about like a thick batter you would use to make pancakes. The container is deeper than it is wide, and covered all the time with a tea towel. In the past, after the initial feeding and crust forming, I have never seen any growth with subsequent feedings. But my lack of understand may be the reason.

Yesterday was day three of my most recent attempt at starting my starter, and Levain, I am going to try your method soon, if this Tartine Bread book method fails me again. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring your advice, I'm just pissed because this book was not cheap and I'm stubborn.

Anyway, I fed the starter yesterday. I removed 88 grams of total mass, trying to get equal amounts of solids and liquid. I replaced that with 44 grams of water and 44 grams of the 50/50 flour mix (whole wheat and white) I have made for feeding my starter.

As of this morning, about 17 hours after the first feeding of this starter, there is a liquid floating above the flour, and it has a decent sourdough stink to it. My plan today is to feed it again at the 24 hour mark and continue doing this until I start to see it rise and fall following feedings. I'll stay with this starter for a week, just faithfully feeding it. If after that time I don't see any life in the starter, I'm riding to San Francisco and hitting the bakers over the head with thier book. Then I go to the Levain method.

S.C.
I think its really important to find a method and stick with it. There are so many ways to do this that its really easy to get confused. I've read through the tartine method and it seems sound, but the idea of such a young, liquid, starter, without retarding final bread, will make really uninteresting bread imho. Note that he recommends retarding! Also, keep in mind, this is a process of perpetuation. It builds on what you did before, so if its weak going in, its going to slowly start to degrade, possibly after a couple builds! Anytime we have issues with our sourdoughs, it always takes a day or two to work the kinks out, generally not rearing their ugly head for a few days.

Good luck
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #1315
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,784
Quote:

S.C.

Don't throw out what you're removing. Mix it all up and take half out. Add half to equal parts flour and water and see if it rises. If it does, your starter is ready to go. You might be over-thinking this.
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:40 AM   #1316
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
Don't throw out what you're removing. Mix it all up and take half out. Add half to equal parts flour and water and see if it rises. If it does, your starter is ready to go. You might be over-thinking this.
I'm just following directions at this point. After this attempt, I'll start trying suggestions here.

S.C.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #1317
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

OK, this is what I have after creating the initial starter several days ago, and a feeding or two.

It has yet to rise and fall.

S.C.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #1318
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Cool!
How does it smell?
Bit sour with a slight alcoholic tang?
I am only a noob at this, but I say mix it all up, keep feeding her and build up strength.
Mine became more active, more quickly over the course of that first week.

I like your stubborn-ness... ooops, perseverance!
Old 05-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #1319
scottcolbath
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmills View Post
Cool!
How does it smell?
Bit sour with a slight alcoholic tang?
I am only a noob at this, but I say mix it all up, keep feeding her and build up strength.
Mine became more active, more quickly over the course of that first week.

I like your stubborn-ness... ooops, perseverance!
It has a hint of stink (in a good way) and I can't pick up on the alcohol, but I'm dealing with allergies at the moment.

I'm going to just keep feeding this thing for a week and we shall see what happens.

S.C.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #1320
windmills
Gnearly Adventurer

Getting there...

[IMG][/IMG]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: