Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM   #106
SGBoy
New Guy

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
he was gettin blown and ran into the median.
SGBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #107
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdWater View Post
Glad you came out all right in the end!

THIS.
It really won't help for those sudden gusts. But for those constant side winds it does.
Actually, if you can just leave your knee out there, it is quite effective at dealing with the gusts, too.

Nasty cross winds wear me out, more than any other one thing, when on a bike. I am usually good for 750+ miles in a day, but I have quit at 2:00pm after 400 miles, and immediately taken a nap, when dealing with heavy crosswinds.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #108
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
Hanging your knee out does help, but it sure gets tiring after a while.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:08 PM   #109
4wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,570
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Hanging your knee out does help, but it sure gets tiring after a while.
Knee out or not, crosswinds shorten my day considerably.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #110
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 750
rented a GS with spoke wheels while in Las Vegas for the supercross finale a couple weeks ago. did a nice 120+ mile loop. the last 20 or so of which was on the 15 freeway. 45+MPH cross winds. I have never been so scared in my life. it was taking me from one edge of my lane to the other.

reminded me of this thread and of the one time coming up the pass from NC to VA on I-77 one night late in a suburban. I was driving and had 5 buddies with me all sleeping of course. one wakes up and says "man stop swerving" and I yell back I am not doing it the wind is. he says no way the wind is moving this big truck and right as he says this two 18 wheelers in front of us turn turtle
dmaxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 05:57 PM   #111
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
1979...I'm on my '78 Suzuki GS100, Windjammer fairing, sissy bar w/backpack strapped to it. Returning from a solo trip backpacking some of the AP trail in NC, headed home to 'nawlins.

I was somewhere in Alabama on an interstate and hit an un-godly storm. One min, it was sunshine, the next black, then wind and rain....sideways rain. I could not see a thing past 5', the wind was so strong when it gusted, it blew me from one lane to another at now 25-30mph. I was scared shitless....I could not stop because I knew I could not hold the bike up in the wind and I figured some moran would just run slap over me. So I kept going, stayed on the shoulder lane line(when I was not blown 20' off it).....seemed like hours(most likely 15 min). Finally it was gone....just like that and the damn sun came right back out. Everything I had on was wet, everything in the backpack was wet, so I pulled into a small town and went to a laundromat. Stuck all my cloths in a dryer, then changed into dry cloths and continued on.

Other than dodging tornadoe's around Sturgis I have never ever been on two wheels in something like that....I hope I never do again.....check off "not fun" for that one.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #112
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
Before I chose my FJR, I had read that heavy bikes are better for long distance touring because they withstand wind gusts (passing semis, etc.) better than lighter bikes.

I've found this to be true a couple of times, once when crossing north from Portland, Oregon into Washington on I-5 on my DN-01 (595 lbs, but low seat)... the sudden wind gust when hitting midspan forced me to lean the bike considerably to stay in my lane. The second time was on I-680 north crossing the Sacramento River east of San Francisco on my FJR. The wind from the east there was fierce and sustained, and I was leaning the bike sharply as well as hanging off of the saddle to keep the bike going straight.

I like the earlier explanation for why bikers go off the road (they can't lean the bike but have to counter steer, which forces them in the opposite direction), and find that moving my body into the wind means I have to lean the bike less, and thus can turn the front wheel into the wind.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #113
GPHusky250
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
A bunch of high school friends have a yearly raft trip through the Royal Gorge. On the way back to Kansas on my r1200RT the winds started to kick up right after Limon, CO. One of my buddies was in a car behind me so I stopped and asked him to put my stock top box in his trunk...because even in light winds you can feel it acting like a sail. With the top box secured we headed back out. Sustained winds were probably 25-30 with gust up to...and I'm guessing 45-50? Didn't mind the sustained winds, no problem riding down the road at an angle...what I hated was being hit by a gust or the sustained winds instantly going away. It was a tough 100 miles, although not as tough as some of the ride reports here.

On the same bike and coming out of the desert on I-8 heading towards San Diego there are a few places where the wind just hits you broadside hard. On one of these sections I had to lean over to my right at a pretty steep angle, and then navigate a sweeping gradual left hand turn. Think about it....leaning right but riding a curve to the left. Very weird feeling.

A couple of weeks ago on a trip back from Flagstaff, just as I reached Palm Springs/Palm Desert...not only was the wind blowing very hard (I was driving right into the wind) but it had kicked up sand, dust and dirt, so much so that you can see the beginnings of pitting in my face shield. No problem though I was riding into it and not getting blown around much, until I exited the freeway to make my way over to State Route 74. Then it was miserable...a fully loaded F8000GSA, a nasty side wind and a dust storm. I was never so happy to start climbing out of the desert...one because of the wind and the other I just about had enough of 106 degree temperatures....at night.

I'd rather ride all day in the rain than spend an hour fighting the wind. When the occasion arises I often stop at a gas station, take a look at the map and see if there are any parallel highways. Often they roll through trees and topography that blocks some of the wind. Baring that, I either slow down or find a motel and call it a night.
GPHusky250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #114
Scudman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I got blown out of my lane by jet blast. I was riding on a highway next to the end of the airport. A l1011 was starting the take off roll and number two engine, the one in the tail pointing downward, was higher than the blast fence. As I passed behind the airplane the jet blast nocked me into the next lane. Nobody there at that time but I am a bit more cautious around airports now.
Scudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #115
LONG DONGER
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 203
GSA with cruise, in Oklahoma

Ridden across Oklahoma dozens of times, usually try to avoid the interstates primarily because of the wind and the semi's. Not unusual to get what feels like 40 MPH south winds, with gusts on top of those. I've had my cruise set at 75 MPH, come up on a big rig, and the vacumn on the lee side of the truck will send the bike up to 79 or 80, then you hit the wall of air the truck cab is pushing and drop back to 70 MPH. You go from almost the centerline to the left edge, hanging on for dear life. And it's every truck you pass.

But if you're on the two lanes, you can deal with the side winds, but then you meet the big boys coming the other way. I've actually had the windshield crack around the mounts from the blast.

Glad your get off wasn't any worse....
LONG DONGER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 04:23 PM   #116
tkaak
Alaskan Adventurer

Oddometer: 1
Glad YOU are okay

We had really strong winds up here i n Talkeetna. I'm still getting used to my 2014 F8 Adventure. Was quite the rush. Two wheels down!
tkaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #117
ShineySideUp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Was south on I 5 and was planning on cutting over to 101 at Pacheco Pass. I get near the exit and the DOT electronic sign says - Wind Warning - Pacheco Pass. I start to head towards the pass and yes it is windy. Decided to get back on I 5 and go south and get off at hwy 41 and head toward Paso Robles. Well the wind was less on 41 but now it was coming from my right on a two lane road. My wife was on the back oblivious but boy was I nervous. Was so glad to get to hwy 101 and turn south - wind was at our back.
In the future i will try that tip of sticking the leg out and gripping the tank with the other leg and loose hands on the grips. Damn I hate riding in strong wind.
That reminds me last year coming back from Yosemite. Got on the hwy at Manteca, CA and it was sooo windy that it was knocking corn over. I ducked behind big rigs when I could and used them as wind shadows. Helped for awhile. Got off on a frontage road and that helped some. Scariest time on a bike is with that strong wind. I've decided, that 'if' I have to I will slow way down, or walk the bike or get a hotel room rather than risk riding in strong cross wind. Thanks for the tips and nice to know I am not alone with being scared by strong winds.

I wonder where that road goes?
ShineySideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #118
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Hmmmmm....I don't want to be near any 18 wheelers during high winds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkvxJgRtiMM
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #119
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,519
Car was in front of me. Had to lay her down. . ..
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #120
Milsparro
Rednerd

Oddometer: 36

South Dakota was needlessly exciting... yes the bike is that light...