Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #1066
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
The current trend is to move away from railed handfuards. People finally figured out they don't use all of the rails then have to cover them up so they're not holding a cheese grater. The other problem with covering rails is that they make the handguard unnecessarily thick. The current handguard everyone seems to like are the Key-mod's. A bunch of different companies are supporting them. You can add rails to where you need then and have a narrow gripping point everywhere else...

+1 I used to think the rails were such a joke. I had friends that talked about how many they could get on a guard. Honestly, if you need a light, get one...if you need a laser, get one, but a full guard with all the attachments...well, you might as well work at the mall.

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #1067
Jeffy
Hmm...

Oddometer: 5,016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
BCM's stock is doing better lately. And I've noticed that they do churn their in and out of stock items. It just takes time to build inventory.

As for changing the color, I think the RIT would work. However, I bet there's someone with black Magpul items that'd like FDE instead and could do a swap.
The problem is my stuff is new and if I'm going to go through the trouble of replacing it I'd rather go a different route. BCM Mod 0 grip and a B5 Bravo or maybe a PRS. A bottle of Rit is $5. From the looks of it a lot of people have done it and have no complaints so I'll give it a try.

Yeah BCM is getting better at stocking stuff. Only a few months ago they had no uppers, now they have a bunch. I was going to get a MK12 upper from them then changed my mind to PRI. I ended up changing my mind again and ordered a KAC AR15 E3 mod 1 upper.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #1068
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
I'll say this for Ruger, they follow thru, got home today, box on front porch. Outer brown box, inner white box with correct padded interior, prepaid FedEx label.

They say two weeks turnaround. Going out tomorrow, so they will have it Friday.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #1069
urbanXJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr View Post
Keep an eye on Palmetto State Armory. They usually have excellent deals on complete uppers, although they are generally their house brand. I purchased two that are at an FFL awaiting compliance work, and the quality looked to be excellent.
You don't need an FFL for an upper...I don't care how long it is or what else you have in the house.

If your worried about "intent" just configure the lower as a pistol...and you can go to the range with it while you wait on the stamp...
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #1070
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post
You don't need an FFL for an upper...I don't care how long it is or what else you have in the house.

If your worried about "intent" just configure the lower as a pistol...and you can go to the range with it while you wait on the stamp...
The lower would have had to been DROS'ed as a pistol. In other words, a pistol can become a rifle but a rifle can't become a pistol.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #1071
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanXJ View Post

The uppers came with flash hiders, that's no-go here. Had to have them swapped for muzzle brakes and have them pinned and welded.

Can't have any NFA goodness here either.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:47 AM   #1072
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
The lower would have had to been DROS'ed as a pistol. In other words, a pistol can become a rifle but a rifle can't become a pistol.
States may be different, but the Federal form no longer has frames with a "pistol" option, there's a specific option for the frame itself. The rumors around the campfire are that you can still build a pistol on a "frame" purchase--all the same as before. But it's new and so it's freaking people out--and understandably so.

But yes, a pistol can become a rifle and return to a pistol. But a rifle is always a rifle.

Unless it's an AOW or SBR, then it's a NFA item.

Quote:
The uppers came with flash hiders, that's no-go here. Had to have them swapped for muzzle brakes and have them pinned and welded.

Can't have any NFA goodness here either.
[Edit, this isn't CS&M]

Sorry, bro.
Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:27 PM   #1073
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:

[Edit, this isn't CS&M]

Sorry, bro.
I didn't see what you wrote, but I got a good idea. I've got a few years left before I can leave here, but for now I just have to bide my time.

Back on track, I ordered a Geissele SSA-E trigger earlier this week, and it arrived today. I put it in a Midwest PX billet lower that also came earlier this week. All I can say is wow, amazing. I can't wait to try it out for real.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #1074
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
States may be different, but the Federal form no longer has frames with a "pistol" option, there's a specific option for the frame itself. The rumors around the campfire are that you can still build a pistol on a "frame" purchase--all the same as before. But it's new and so it's freaking people out--and understandably so.

But yes, a pistol can become a rifle and return to a pistol. But a rifle is always a rifle.

Unless it's an AOW or SBR, then it's a NFA item.

[Edit, this isn't CS&M]

Sorry, bro.
you can de-register an SBR'd lower.... But why would you?

Maybe if you moved to a State that disallows 'em I guess?

OT: Pink AR I built for my daughter:

91Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:24 AM   #1075
Tripl Nikl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
Quote:
I didn't see what you wrote, but I got a good idea. I've got a few years left before I can leave here, but for now I just have to bide my time.

Back on track, I ordered a Geissele SSA-E trigger earlier this week, and it arrived today. I put it in a Midwest PX billet lower that also came earlier this week. All I can say is wow, amazing. I can't wait to try it out for real.
You got the idea of what I posted. I used to have problems with California's laws--which I learned about after moving there for my first "real job" after college. I solved those issues with a U-Haul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Eunos View Post
you can de-register an SBR'd lower.... But why would you?

Maybe if you moved to a State that disallows 'em I guess?
I suppose the deregistering is for specific reasons--moving, not wanting responsibility for NFA items and wanting evidence of their being de-regisistered. But I cannot see any other reason a person would do it--just lock the NFA items in a vault or safe deposit box if they're not being used.

BTW, I like the pink AR. Have you seen the Hello Kitty one that goes around in memes (pro- and anti-gun memes, it's bi-side-al on the issue, I guess):

Tripl Nikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #1076
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Two works in progress

Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #1077
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:

BTW, I like the pink AR. Have you seen the Hello Kitty one that goes around in memes (pro- and anti-gun memes, it's bi-side-al on the issue, I guess):

Funny thing is that is a California 'Featureless' AR and owned by Elko, the owner of Riflegear, http://www.riflegear.com/.

You can read more about it here: http://blog.riflegear.com/archive/20...-cute-and.aspx
Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #1078
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Got my uppers today

Got a call from the shop today, brakes were installed and bayonet lug removed. Got home and mounted them up.

I'm happy with them, I'll hopefully get to the range tomorrow morning.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #1079
Jeffy
Hmm...

Quote:
Got a call from the shop today, brakes were installed and bayonet lug removed. Got home and mounted them up.

I'm happy with them, I'll hopefully get to the range tomorrow morning.
What brake is that? I'm looking to try a Jerry Miculek brake.since they're inexpensive and work well.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #1080
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
What brake is that? I'm looking to try a Jerry Miculek brake.since they're inexpensive and work well.
I got them from amazon.

scoped mid-length rifle

carbine length with iron sights

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: