Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #2416
josjor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by NERVE View Post
"Fixt" my a$$. See post above from Jeffy.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've seen too many LP's with retail prices at $3-4k that were put together with less care and craftsmanship than guitars that retail at $500.00. Filler around inlays, output jacks on crooked, tape lines, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love classic Gibson guitars. They used to be a company that was driven by a passion for music. But Gibson of today is what I would call the Harley Davidson of guitars: Overpriced for the quality you get and living largely on reputation.
listen mister, we didnt evolve porcelin shitters just so we could squat to take a shit, like monkeys.
josjor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #2417
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
I was goofing around on youtube and came across an add for "Guitarbots"

I guess it is a game for the guitar....I made an account but did not go further then just looking at the different things they had in there and just what was free and what cost. This could be 205 but I just found it.

anyone know anything about it?
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #2418
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie

Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
"Fixt" my a$$. See post above from Jeffy.
Well epi doesn't make an 70's style lp with mini hums anyway, so it's a non issue.
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #2419
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Yeah...but the real deal is OH so much better IMHO.

Pretty Les Paul. I love sunburst. I'm new to guitars, only been playing since last fall. But my guitar teacher has played my son's Epi Les Paul and he told me it is an excellent guitar. I'd enjoy getting a chance to play a Gibson sometime to compare.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #2420
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post
We'll just have to agree to disagree. I've seen too many LP's with retail prices at $3-4k that were put together with less care and craftsmanship than guitars that retail at $500.00. Filler around inlays, output jacks on crooked, tape lines, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I love classic Gibson guitars. They used to be a company that was driven by a passion for music. But Gibson of today is what I would call the Harley Davidson of guitars: Overpriced for the quality you get and living largely on reputation.
This is really where I am. I tried I mean I really tried....I wanted Gibson on the guitar, but it just was not there for me.

I was talking to the guy at the mom and pop guitar shop I go to....they told me when he started....(I am guessing he is in his mid 60's) he said it was very good or very bad, nothing in the middle.

But now, Epiphone, Squier and such are making such good guitars there is really such a very fine line between the two.

There are some English guys on youtube....rob Chapman...he does a bunch of Gibson vs. epiphone, Fender vs. squire vs American, vs. mex.....all that stuff and the differences and their thoughts are very interesting. I know that youtube audio over computer speakers can leave stuff on the table, but listening to their comments tells you something.

After spending all that time doing the Gibson vs. Epi thing when shopping my LP I decided that yea it is cool to have that name on the head stock....but a lot of the time that is what you are paying an extra $1000 + for.

I also found the same thing when shopping my Gretsch....5120 vs 6120...there is not that enough difference to warrant the difference in price.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #2421
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 8,085
You want some nice quality buy a G&L. George and Leo still make quality for much less than most others out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josjor View Post

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #2422
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Yamaha AEX-502...it is too bad Yamaha mostly dropped their electric guitar line, many were very good, I like this one a lot. Guitar Player gave the AEX 502 a favorable used guitar review a few years back and they were more valuable for awhile, I still need try some different pickups in mine as suggested http://www.guitarplayer.com/miscella...-aex-502/14965

victor441 screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 01:22 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #2423
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
I'd love to have this one in my collection!

One of my guitar heroes.

IMG_0994x
Old 05-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #2424
Mtl-Marc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Yeah...but the real deal is OH so much better IMHO.

Oh yes! Always better, all the time!

Sound and feel and overall quality.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:27 AM   #2425
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
You want some nice quality buy a G&L. George and Leo still make quality for much less than most others out there.
+1

I played a G&L Tele for about an hour a little while back. Definitely my next purchase, that was a fine guitar.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #2426
Nadgett
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
I'd love to have this one in my collection!

One of my guitar heroes.
That'd be Dick Dale, King of the Surf Guitar. I'd like to have one of his Dual Showmans, and a place big enough to play it in.
Nadgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #2427
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
How strange that Dick Dale plays a lefthanded guitar with the strings upside down. Probably learn on a righty, and just liked the ergonomics of the lefty?
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #2428
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
How strange that Dick Dale plays a lefthanded guitar with the strings upside down. Probably learn on a righty, and just liked the ergonomics of the lefty?

It's strange watching him play, and seeing him hitting the upper strings, B + E on his guitar, and hearing those high ringing notes. That should be a "rumble" from most players.

He said he bought a ukulele when he was a kid, and started playing it. It was quite a while, after struggling to make the notes, that he figured out he was playing it upside down. By then it seemed too late to switch.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 AM   #2429
PullingG's
What?

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
You never have another first guitar....I guess that is the only reason I still have mine. I think it is the only one I don't have any photos of....it is "playable" but it sounds like it is covered in mud. This is the guitar I figured hay lets figure out what all these screws do on a guitar. It really is not bad at all and I did learn what those screws do. And it really does play very nice now....but the sound just horrid. It is a cheapo strat copy that came in one of those $129 bundles.

Like I said it does play very nice....I like how the action is set now...I have tried a few different strings on it but looking for something to try next....any ideas? Your normal 5 switch select strat copy.

And I know you all are wondering what it is....

ElToro by Behringer.

Internet pic.

Looks almost exactly like the Squier we bought my son as his first guitar (about same price). He never played it, so years later it became my first guitar as I started lessons. :-)
PullingG's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:34 PM   #2430
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Here is a new family photo. Just scored the Classic 50 earlier this evening. Found in on my local CL and traded a guy my Blues Jr. for it straight up. I got the PRS S2 about 6 weeks ago and it really is an amazing guitar for the price.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: