User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 72 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #1306
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,864
I hadn't seen this one linked before - http://themindunleashed.org/2014/04/...igh-costs.html

Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM   #1307
MeanMoe
one really mean cat

Oddometer: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
I hadn't seen this one linked before - http://themindunleashed.org/2014/04/...igh-costs.html

Nice setup but I don't like the idea of having to crawl over someone to get into, or out of the bedroom.
Crawling on hands and knees doesn't work either.

MeanMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #1308
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanMoe View Post
Nice setup but I don't like the idea of having to crawl over someone to get into, or out of the bedroom.
Depends on who you are crawling over? but after the third night it might get a bit old

I kinda like this one, if I was on my own. I see these small set ups and think I would go spare when I need my own space some times.

Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #1309
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,864
Quote:
True, but it would probably work just as well with the bed turned the other way and you just had to crawl out towards the foot of the bed?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:24 AM   #1310
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
True, but it would probably work just as well with the bed turned the other way and you just had to crawl out towards the foot of the bed?
Stumbling down a ladder at 3am to get to your crapper gets old faster than crawling over your gf, in my experience. But if I was honest w/ myself, I could tolerate it most of the time, unless I were drunk off my ass.

He openly admits in his blog that he doesn't have a good answer to how to handle water service or sewer lines, since he's planning on in-board holding tanks and garden hose water supply, heat tape to keep those things patent in winter months. Going to be difficult to actually do that w/ shower drain to consider. In truth the tanks will sit under chassis like a normal rv, w/ heat tape and heat pads to the exit port. Have fun dumping your frozen lines. I wonder if he's going to bother w/ a proper septic leach field. Nah, better to have to dump 30 gallons every other day.

Fully sealed foamed in construction. He expounds upon the need to install a ventilation fan, bcs his box is sealed up tight, w/ significant moisture generators (shower, propane, and 3 bodies). Great...One well ventilated corner of the house forcing air exchange to handle moisture control. Not what I'd call well thought out.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 12:44 AM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:29 PM   #1311
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,481
In truth, you don't have to do much with shower, sink and laundry water. When I lived in the mountains, we used biodegradable products and just ran it all down a hose into the yard where it was split to water things. The property at the time had a very old and very marginal septic system, and it couldn't handle normal use. The occasional toilet flush was about it.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:01 PM   #1312
12ARX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
Tiny enough?
http://viralcircus.com/ive-seen-peop...te-brilliance/
Old 05-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #1313
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ARX View Post
That's fucking awesome.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #1314
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,417
Quote:
The bedroom needs a bit more thought, but I think this one is better than most in design and execution, I like the outdoor propane porch and storage.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 AM   #1315
NERVE
Thrumming along

Oddometer: 296
I think my house moves a tiny bit almost every day. It sure creaks and pops and groans a lot.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #1316
RockyRaccoon
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 60,070
Here's an interesting site that might be useful as a source of ideas for those looking at building a little house.

http://accessorydwellings.org/

“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought.” -- John Kenneth Galbraith
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #1317
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
In truth, you don't have to do much with shower, sink and laundry water. When I lived in the mountains, we used biodegradable products and just ran it all down a hose into the yard where it was split to water things. The property at the time had a very old and very marginal septic system, and it couldn't handle normal use. The occasional toilet flush was about it.
If all you're putting down the drain is shampoo and Ivory Soap, that's great. You can make a great hobby out of grey water management. But that's not all you're going to be putting down your primary residence's drain. Sometimes, you actually need to clean your oven. Sometimes you actually have solids/chemicals/crap in there that are a pain in the ass to filter out, and yet not what you want to water your tomatoes with. It happens. Even it it only happens 5% of the days that you use it...5% of full time living, that's still 55 days out of the year that your less-than-substantial waste-water management solution is a headache for you. That's a lousy service level to shoot for. Architects and designers should really be required to do service level math on the shit they design. If the little house movement is about being zen with your environment, one thing I think is pretty important to factor in is the fact that such a notion is aspirational. You're gonna fail at it...some of the time. Want success? Design for your aspirations. But plan for failure.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM   #1318
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,481
Actually, we never put any chemicals down our drains. Or solids. I can't think of a case where it was needed. If we had anything nasty, it went in the garbage and was picked up by waste management. Anything that fell into the chemical catagory, which was usually motor vehicle related, went to the local recycling station. I don't think it was that difficult of a lifestyle.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:47 PM   #1319
WestTXDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
http://www.harvestingrainwater.com/g...nd-detergents/

Here's a good primer on greywater friendly soaps.
2002 BMW R1150RT Silver
IBA#22317
KE5EXE
WestTXDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:30 PM   #1320
PaddedHat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Stumbling down a ladder at 3am to get to your crapper gets old faster than crawling over your gf, in my experience. But if I was honest w/ myself, I could tolerate it most of the time, unless I were drunk off my ass.

This whole idea of ship ladders, no guard rails etc. prevalent in most of these micro homes, is flat out stupid. Trendy, but guaranteed to end up with an unhappy ending if you spend enough time temping fate. I recall a few years back when a local headed up to his remote hunting cabin, by himself, for a quiet weekend. When he didn't show up by Monday morning, the family asked for a welfare check. The state police found him dead at the bottom of the loft ladder, with a broken neck. The coroner determined that he had became disoriented, and walked off the edge of the unguarded loft in the middle of the night.
It's a bit hard to believe that the hipster aesthetic shown in most of these faux houses is worth dying for?
PaddedHat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: